The Unit Cannon.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedesertfoxprod, November 23, 2014.

1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I believe a tech issue.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

(assuming you meant "as if")
    That is not a universal opinion.
  3. corteks

corteks Active Member

I really hope it's added soon. Been waiting eagerly for it since before the Alpha released!
    christer1966, Spriggan43 and Antiglow like this.
  4. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

You can add me to that waiting list too.
    corteks and christer1966 like this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Might as well make a waiting list for it's balance then ;)
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You're right. I'm pretty sure that opinion permeates in every parallel universe too :p.

Seriously though, the Unit Cannon is literally an anti-commander sniper rifle. That'll be hard to make balanced.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Shoot 1 vanguard = win
  8. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on the Unit Cannon. I'm not sure that the changes it would make to the flow of play would be good.

It would obviously require severe limitations to prevent it from becoming some overpowered vanguard/boombot gun gun that can just instakill a commander from anywhere.

At the very least it would need a limited range, preferably only firing between planetoids in a direct orbital relationship to each other.

to be honest i think it would be better as a neutral capturable building that is preset to fire from one planet to another, make it so you build a few T2 power gens on spots next to it to power/ control it. Then it can be used as part of a map's design.
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

The intent is to have it only able to shoot from a moon onto the planet that moon is orbiting.
  10. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

That would be sad, because then bigger systems would still be not really playable.

The unit cannon may be a decent solution to several problems with the game and the orbital layer (for example no more need of orbital micromanagement and no more orbital stalemates), so it should work without any restrictions
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

unless people admit that pinpoint arrival is every kind of animal's waste (ex: bullshit).
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/lets-face-it-nobody-likes-orbital-arriving-pinpoint.64128/

whatever solution we can find, I think we need to get rid of pinpoint arrivals, they are a plague of this game and personally I don't think my proposed solution is bad.
  12. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

Pinpoint arrival's main issues were largely resolved by giving them a cool down period between arriving and beginning whatever task they're assigned. If they do the drop pod approach repeatedly suggested then aa would make pinpoint drops moot because you can simply defend a given area. Unit cannon rate of fire is likely to be low (though I would hope not too low otherwise it'd be pretty useless) so aa will be able to focus fire on a single unit, and even high health units like vanguards can be taken out if you have enough aa (especially the high damage commander aa). If one player has the eco to build a unit cannon and t2 vehicles before the other can build sufficient aa then a vanguard drop is probably the least of the latter's worries.
    tatsujb likes this.
  13. tatsujb

I don't know.

it's not exactly as if you can spill t2 bombers at the rate at which you can build & fire dox (E.G. much faster)

I think that makes aa moot. (as units would seep through anyways). suffice it that a couple of those units are vanguards and you're doomed.

At the very least I think the UC's aiming shouldn't be a cross-hair but a zone within which unit arrival is randomized.

(It looked that way in the KS trailer anyways; it looked as if the landing boosters spread them out randomly, watch it again: )
    [​IMG]
  14. Geers

Also you could build ten UCs to complement the other half of the moon that's covered in bot factories.

IT'S RAINING BOOMBOTS. HALLELUJAH!
    nofear1299 likes this.
  15. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Restrict it to T1 bots and tanks = win
  16. Geers

What if I told you...

Boombots were T1?
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  17. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Taking Boombot DDoS to a next level.
  18. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Except that the idea is also that since you've put it on a moon, and generally those have engines, you can move it around the system wherever you want
    corteks likes this.
  19. tatsujb

now that would just be shameful and modded straight out anyways.

nobody wants arbitrary rules like that. what could be possible is to have two types of unit cannons : one for t1 units one for t2
  20. corteks

corteks Active Member

I agree with this. Since the UC would require 2 planets to line up I like the idea of selecting a dropZONE, where you can try for more accuracy but the more accurate you go for the less firing time you get. And of course if you just wanted to play a battle of attrition you could select the entire enemy planet to maximize your firing time and drop units anywhere while your cannon is facing the enemy planet.

I dunno, that's how I always imagined it. Then astraetus would still be useful for pinpoint strikes and teleporters would still be useful as forward bases, while the UC would provide a barrage of units to distract and harass your enemy.
    Necronome likes this.