Usually some big problem optimization server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by vasyaq, November 27, 2014.

1. vasyaq

vasyaq New Member

ITS VERY BIG BUG SERVER !!!
    Fix server slow fps when unit in game have more 3000 ore 4000 unit server very slow(no me pc) .
    I mean it's always when I play more than 30 minutes for 4-7 players accumulated more than 4000 units and the server slows scared to play all lag.
    plz FIX IT for Have fun game.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

just want to point out that (to my knowledge) no RTS with full animations and stuff has been able to run a game with 3k+ units. The fact that PA can is nothing short of unbelievably awesome.

That said, they are working on it. Just continue learning how to minimize lag (by not creating thousands upon thousands of units in the late game or 12 planet systems) and you'll be fine.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The only ones are the ones with the large groups as units. Like medieval games where people are arranged in large formations. However I guess that probably doesn't count. :p
    mered4 likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Are you crazy?????

ok sure it took some time for the hardware to catch up but FA runs 12 000 (with MORE projectiles AND on each player's PC) at one tick per second.
    Last edited: November 27, 2014
  5. mered4

I was told that FAF had trouble running a thousand units across an average connection at a playable speed. I've also witnessed this, so if we are talking max units, PA is at 76k :D
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes everybody wants better performance, let's hope we get it.

And according to PA-PR PA can handle twice that much. Now let's return to real numbers please.
    Oh btw PA has projectiles as well ;)
    One tick per second btw would mean 10% sim speed, as the sim usually runs at 10 fps.
    mered4 likes this.
  7. mered4

Can we just all agree PA can run the most units the fastest?
  8. cola_colin

Actually I would not bet on PA currently outperforming FA. FA is a more mature game for sure AND FA on top of that is in 2D basically. PA does a lot of cpu intense things because of it's unique features.
    But throwing out statements like "I saw xyz at 12k units for sure" is just not a real good benchmark.

Not to mention the drastically different network architekture. PA can run 100 players with 1 unit each. FA cannot at all, a dev in here confirmed a while back that some part of the FA networking has a bandwidth requirement of N^2 where the playernumber is N.
    Obviously having 100 players with a single unit is kinda funny but stupid in the long run, but I think it shows that comparing isn't exactly easy.
  9. squishypon3

I wonder how many units I can build in Total Annihilation?

Y'know upgrading from the good 'ole ninety's where 32mb of RAM was a large amount up to 4GB. :)
    klavohunter likes this.
  10. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Which is a dangerous statement without reasoning about the nature of N beforehand: FA's networking architecture is peer-to-peer, requiring very little bandwidth, thus its bandwidth consumption is very likely not to exceed PA's even for huge Ns.

Does not diminish the greatness of PA's architecture (!), though.
  11. cola_colin

lol, bandwidth trouble in larger team games for FA was a big issue all the time I played it xD
    they unlocked 6v6 in FAF. Last time I tried it was like "you have a 90% chance it will lag from the first second, as one player with not perfect upload speed will lag everything".
    The p2p nature of FA yields you a high bandwidth requirement especially on the upload. Normal end-consumer internet has a rather weak upload.
    Also having n^2 is always bad.
    Even if for n = 1 you only need let's say 0.1kbyte/s for n = 100 you will need 1000 kbyte/s
    and that on the upload. that's a full megabyte per second. I am in the center of a town here and I have barely just that.
    mered4 likes this.
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Which I find strange, since only user inputs get send around. Care to enlighten me? I am genuinely interested.
  13. tatsujb

no we can't. sorry. that' is the total opposite of the truth and it's very easy to prove it too.
    well I didn't correctly know how to say it but I'm sorry those are real numbers.

12 000 is the unit cap on FAF. and that's not counting remove unit cap mod.
  14. cola_colin

By that logic the unit cap on PA is either 2147483647 or 9223372036854775807
    No mod needed.
    mered4 and Bsport like this.
  15. squishypon3

@tatsujb

It's not really fair to compare Supcom to PA in regards to unit count as Supcom came out years ago and ran terribly when it did. Heck, it was even worse than PA is, you could barely play more than a 1v1 without a good computer.
  16. cola_colin

true on the computer I had when I got supcom I had hard lags in mid sized 1vs1.
  17. tatsujb

no I'm saying no lag. +1 simspeed.

all you have to have is Ethernet connection (Wifi too unstable) and some i5 or above.
    you might have missed this :
    I never said otherwise about the cap. I just said FA can run that simspeed +1 and PA can't.
  18. cola_colin

I am doubtful you can just randomly host a big FA game, go up to 12k units and have solid simspeed on all players.
    Don't forget: In FA every single player needs a computer that can handle it. Every single player. I am always amazed to see how many people in the support forums go "PA is crashing" and quickly it turns out they have yet another laptop.

so let's wait 7 years and have a look again.
  19. tatsujb

sure in the meantime let's all stop saying there is no game that can run 3000 units plus simulated projectiles at +1 simspeed.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/usually-some-big-problem-optimization-server.66188/#post-1038453
    I never used the word randomly.

actually I was very specific on that. I said:

no Wifi
    no cpu under i5

actually I'll add to that:

no cpu under 3Ghz
    no Australians (sorry guys it's not against you it's just FA)
    no internet under 2meg
  20. mered4

*sigh*

Just stop, Tatsu. No FAF game I've played has ever hit 1k units with +1 sim speed. I see it happen in PA all the time.