[WIP][Server] Orbital Warfare Overhaul

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by emraldis, August 13, 2014.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I don't know if we'll make that change to the T2 Air fab. At some point though we will be adding a multi unit armoured orbital transport though, which should allow you to quickly get some fabbers to another planet to establish a forward base.

EDIT:
    Quoting is being an arse.
    Last edited: November 22, 2014
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Well, there are a few issues with it. One, the ingame mechanics do not easily allow for that kind of thing, (believe me we've tried, we wanted to make the peregrine a suborbital fighter, but you can't) two, that would be pretty hard to balance, unless you really increased the cost of the T2 air fabricator, and three, it would pretty much completely invalidate the astreus.

And I'm not quite sure of the situation in which you're wanting to use this, are you trying to invade an occupied planet or land on a new one? If it's the first case then you generally would be better off using the new orbital units and structures in the mod, alongside the orbital fabricator. If you are just colonising, then you might as well use an astreus. As for people not using teleporters much, I see people using them all the time...

TLDR; Although it's not a bad idea, it kind of overrides other units already in the game, and would also be impossible to do at the moment.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  3. Nicb1

Basically what emraldis said.
  4. planetarystrategist

planetarystrategist New Member

Oh, imbossibility is bad. Nevermind then. Just theoritizing then.

Situation I was thinking was for already partially occupied planets. T2 Air would be normally used so late at game, that astraeus has a place in rush colonizing. However, at later part of the game whole solar system will be quickly colonized, once people hit T2. Now some planets remain empty all game, becouse colonizing them does remain demanding also later. Pelicans are not really that used either, so transports like astraeus might not need to be popular either.

I meant that although teleporters are used, they are used to move armies. They are not really used as a step to make new base on another planet. Defences, factories and stuff.

I see that the problem invading other planets land is that the time which it takes from going to the another planet and then building defences (Walls) on that planet takes too much time and is too difficult. If you could easily build wall nearby your teleporter when teleporter starts sending units, their ability to defend the teleporter against biggerr defender forces become much more likeful.

The dynamic is kind of same, if you imagine that you would try to invade other island and you didn't have air unit capable to build anything else on that island except the teleporter. No turrets, no walls or no factories, which are all normally builded first or alongside your teleporter when taking over an island from the enemy.

T2 Air Fabricators stats would not remain the same. Maybe having less buid power would solve it.
  5. planetarystrategist

planetarystrategist New Member

Maybe workable option for base building on other planets would be to build more building directly from orbit. For example Orbital Land Fabricator could build land buildings from the orbital. These building would not be the same as those built from surface, but much more expensive in their cost, thus making not really optimal for general use.

This would allow you to create some basic of a base on other planet while invading it. You could easily move land build power on the planet. Especially at the early moments of the invasion you could build land defences around your teleporter making the survival rate of your invasion forces much more likeful.
  6. emraldis

well as is, our orbital fabricator can build orbital defence satellites, so there is that. Then you build a teleporter, send in an army of reasonable size as backup, and then some fabricators to start establishing a base. We're trying to minimize the building ground stuff from orbit as much as possible since it doesn't make too much sense and you could do some annoying things with it. Also, in our mod, most structures you'd want to build on the ground can be built in orbit anyway, so there isn't too much point in making the orbital fabbers able to build more ground stuff.
  7. emraldis

SOOON

2014-11-23_00001.jpg 2014-11-23_00016.jpg
    optimi and Nicb1 like this.
  8. Nicb1

Ok so we had issues with getting my model for the Anti Missile Defence Turret/System ingame. (Turret refused to point towards missiles)
    So I went ahead and made a more badass model that doesn't have a rotating turret head :)

I present to you, The Tesla Anti Missile Defence System (T.A.M.D.S)
    (Although it'll perhaps be more laser based than electricity based.)
    [​IMG]
    This is just a plain render. And of course it's going to look a heck of a lot better when @mgmetal13 gets around to texturing and animating it.
    Last edited: November 25, 2014
    Antiglow, Alpha2546 and christer1966 like this.
  9. emraldis

UPDATE!

Cool new PFX

Cool new units

Cool new OP
    Antiglow and Nicb1 like this.
  10. fullestdarklink

fullestdarklink New Member

i think the server mods side is bugged wont start a game in lobbie and ends in a draw =/ sad i whanted to test out the new stuff 2 =(
  11. emraldis

Can you give more details?
  12. fullestdarklink

when u start a skirmish game with any server mod it ends the game before the planet select and says it ends in a draw
  13. emraldis

Make sure you load the mod first.
  14. emraldis

UPDATE: Made an attempt at improving loading time, should load faster now.
  15. fullestdarklink

after the new update the bug has been fixed thank you. lazer platform attack is the most epic thing ever =D
  16. emraldis

Good to hear!
  17. Azarath

Azarath Member

First I want to say I've been having a "blast" with this mod.
    I really love the Ion Cannon, it's a dream come true. Thank you all.

Now, after playing a few Skirmish games to test if everything was working I was hoping to bring this blasting experience with me to Galactic War. Everything seemed fine until I invaded a planet which a menu appeared saying Game Summary Draw. I couldn't get rid of the menu and I was forced to exit the game.

I have a few Server mods enabled and 17 UI mods.
    After shutting down all mods and enable them one at a time I found the cause of the problem.
    It was Orbital Warfare Overhaul Strategic Icons.

I made a thread in Support. I was advised to test one mod at a time and when I found it I would report it in the mod's main thread.

I'm saying this if anyone else runs into the same problem, try to disable the Strategic Icons.
    I was really hoping to bring the experience to GW but it seems that is not possible, or is there a workaround to get Server mods into GW?
  18. Nicb1

Always makes me happy when I hear that people really like the mod. Glad that you have been enjoying it thus far.

On the topic of galactic war, unfortunately it tends to be generally incompatible with a lot of server mods unless they are designed specifically for galactic war, and even then usually they are filled with bugs. We would have to design a galactic war specific version of the mod which even then may not work all that well. So it is not likely that we will be able to do much about the GW incompatibility. This is what I understand of the situation anyway. I will bring this up with our coder and see if anything can be done, although from what I've seen in various other mods which have attempted GW integration (like statera) it may just not work out in the end.
  19. emraldis

I can confirm this.
  20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Might already be known, but the icon mod makes the commander landing countdown say "undefined"