Let's discuss: radar jammers [with poll]

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by LmalukoBR, November 24, 2014.

?

Should there be radar jamming and how should it be done?

1. No, I being the all seing eye of Sauron.

10.7%
  2. Yes, and i would like the jammer to just make the blips invisible

53.6%
  3. Yes, I would like the jammer to create a area of interference but that area should apear on radar

46.4%
  4. It should consume energy.

82.1%
  5. It should be static

64.3%
  6. It should e mobile

46.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

So i've been thinking after i read a post asking for a reduction on the rage of radar cause it diminishes the need for active intelligence gathering (scouting). And i must agree, there should be a way to hide your base and troop movements from radar.
    Now i think there are 2 ways to do radar jamming:
    One way the jammer hides all the information from the radar (system similar to stealth that hides signatures).
    In the other the radar jammr creates a interference, you can see that a area that is being jammed but can't get blips from that area (similar to the strategy to launch aluminum strips used to block radar in WW2).

Also do you think it should need energy to operate, and should there be a mobile form, should it be T2 or T1?

Discuss away my people!
    emraldis likes this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

mod first ... see if its worth or eventualy too powerfull with the scale
    generaly i wouldnt mind stealth nor radarjamming .. only cloaking shouldnt be in ...
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the concept of having it create an obvious 'black out zone' on radar is a clever one.

It means you can mask off a sensitive area from radar (to prevent radar targeting by long range weapons for example) *however* it also clearly shows there is *something there* drawing attention to it.

This also adds the juicy proposition of some cat a mouse shenanigans- you could randomly build radar jammers in totally unoccupied locations to draw the attention of your opponents. Want to scare them silly- build jammers over the control nodes on a metal planet for kicks :D
  4. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

Mobile unit that simply erases radar blips with a short range. The unit can anchor itself into the ground, extend a large dish, and create a larger radar static zone that is visible on radar.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

First idea is good, but second part is a bit to micro-y, I think just a structure would be better, and would be used much more often.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

lets please not have active abilities for single units in a macrogame

i am still waiting for a launch nuke button in the default ui
  7. eratosthenes

I guess it would be more in the spirit of this game to either have just the unit or the unit plus a structure. I just personally really enjoy unit transformations a la the Tick Tank from C&C.
  8. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but to make proper use of transformable units takes a lot more immediate attention and babysitting than a macro game like PA can afford to have.
  9. eratosthenes

I find it pretty ironic that the meta in this "macrogame"leads to people microing dox in literally every single same (unless you want to lose). Until doxs are nerfed or whatever, all the "this is too much micro" arguments fly out the window because the early-mid game relies really heavily on the ability of the player to micro engagements btw groups of doxes.

That being said, I totally agree. :p
  10. emraldis

that's why I play the PTE.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. eratosthenes

I haven't played in a week or two and I haven't looked over the PTE build. Was it rebalanced or something?
  12. emraldis

Ooooh yeah. Games are actually fun now.
  13. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Eh, where is the "long range radar system should only reveal large structures and T2 units by default"-option?

Active stealth systems are pretty bad, they always come with that frustrating "But did I look, there was no base over there!" feeling attached. Certain stuff like factories, nukes and other super weapons must just be plain impossible too hide.

And even for mobile units, it's not as simple as just hiding the blips. Hiding units while they are advancing? Fun for both sides. Hiding units when they are retreating? NOT FUN, just cheesy. Trying to hide units which you already have discovered is a bad move which is very likely to annoy the hell out of your opponent, and not in the good way, a certain grace period after leaving vision before the unit becomes untrackable is a must have. Plus certain actions like weapon fire must also break stealth properties.

Oh, and the "area stealth field idea"? Yeah, forget about that. Like I said, the ability of remaining stealth is something which must not be applicable to all unit types, for certain units - including stuff like the long range T2 units - stealth would be fatal for balancing. If any stealth properties, then ONLY on a per unit base. Not necessarily with energy cost attached, but that "I already know where you are, you can no longer hide" exception is vital.