The Unit Cannon.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedesertfoxprod, November 23, 2014.

1. thedesertfoxprod

thedesertfoxprod New Member

So I am just posting this to ask when can we possibly see a unit cannon? Is it feasible to see one before 2015? Or has it been a cancelled unit. Thanks! ~ TheDesertFox
    Twinstar and corteks like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  3. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I have no idea what you're talking about. What is this 'unitcannon' of yours. Do you mean ubercannon? that one is ingame..

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

His picture is a mod that makes everything ingame 'Dox', not an actual unit cannon. But I bet Uber is secretly working on the unit cannon. It will take some time before it will get finished.
  5. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

It would be good if the Devs could give us an update on these features... are they still being worked on or have they been canned?
    corteks likes this.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I suspect we will get this eventually due to demand, though I really doubt before 2015.
  7. killerkiwijuice

Btw, Sorian said something about there being a "surprise" coming Soon

Now don't get your hopes up, but I'm looking forward to seeing what this may be considering we got the Annihilaser.
  8. xankar

xankar Post Master General

[​IMG]
    xerkt, mjshorty, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Hey guys! Did you know the wreckage for it is in the game!? How cool is that!?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

OMG NO WAI, HL3 CONFIRMED.

<3
    Remy561, corteks and stuart98 like this.
  11. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

If unit canon gets done I can imagine all the threads complaining about the com snipes
  12. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the limitation with the Unit Cannon a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) problem or was that some other transport unit?
  13. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

We all want unit cannon,

But i rather get planet editor first, which they are working on now, and i am very happy about it coming to PA soon.

Also I am not quite sure if unit cannon can be any good for invasions. IMO doing it good for invasions makes it overpowered for cheesy tactics like sniping commander with bunch of t2 units etc. And balancing (nerfing it) to the point where it cannot add to cheese, makes that unit obsolete.

Agreed PA needs some proper invasion/siege units. That and making water layer working.
  14. killerkiwijuice

There would probably have to be shields with the addition of such a long range sniper/catapult.

I still think shields would have been a good addition if balanced correctly, but I don't even think they're possible with the engine.

Oh God it's happeneing again.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Nah they're not possible with the engine- yet (unless you make a super hacky one), that's the whole point of building an engine. :p

Nobody said it'd be sniper accurate, I've always thought it'd be terribly inaccurate sending pods of six or so bots that come down and break open in the orbital layer, slowly hovering down and firing.

The pods could be targetable by anti-orbital units/buildings and the slowly fluttering bots could be taken out by AA. Heck, I'm worried it'd be UP.
    corteks likes this.
  16. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Exactly my point Squishy, such cannon with such pods, is diminished to cool looking (and probably fun) but not much actual use unit. It would be great for securing new planets/moons but not for invasion. Unless it can spam hundreds of units. Something like 1 way inaccurate teleport.
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

At a push then, why not forget the unit cannon as it is and repurpose the teleporter, adding a subtype that you can build one end of, which sends units to a rough area on another planet at high speed/ in large numbers. There would need to be balancing, but if the unit cannon is outside of the remit of the remaining staffs budget/schedule, I would accept a new type of teleporter such as this.

Edit: eh I just realised I pretty much just copied what yo said. Oh well, +1 to one way teleporter
  18. killerkiwijuice

I've been exploring all places about PA, including Steam, Facebook, Reddit, etc., and a common theme is that people want the unit cannon. Their rational is that there is not enough invasion strategies.

I have to agree. Orbital is mostly stale because the only real invasion strategy is a sneaky teleporter. (planet smashing is not really invasion)

I know this topic is as old as PA itself but if Uber does add another invasion strategy like the unit cannon, it's going to require loads of balance changes. Basically, an interplanetary cannon would make someone who does not know about PA wonder: "There will have to be shields then, right? How will it be countered?".

Let's just hope invasion strategies are thought of very carefully, and if done right, I believe more invasion strategies are going to make the game soooooooo much better.
    tatsujb, ace63, nawrot and 2 others like this.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

haha! as if shields would make the game worse!
    Last edited: November 27, 2014
  20. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Actually, I don't care either way, so this statement is incorrect.
    pieman2906 likes this.