Mods in ranked games.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Clopse, November 12, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Running such a system in javascript means it's easy to hack it to send wrong data. Technically not doable without effort from Uber and an arms race between modders that don't agree and Uber.
    Quitch likes this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Won't have to be. Just like literally every other game, it can be a third party written in any language, that just checks the one directory that the game looks for mods at, and relays the content in it to a secure server like PAStats or whatever. It wouldn't be a part of the game. But it would accomplish desired results. Would also require the people against mods in the first place to run the arms race and not Uber.
  3. cola_colin

so an arms race
    Quitch likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

My suggestion, was just that if you want an arms race against mods, then take the initiative to make your own program to run in tournaments.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Just not going to work. Entry level for "effective" anti cheat measures is ridiculously high, with even the simplest ones featuring kernel level modules. And even with them it's just a matter of reverse engineering them once and then they are broken FOR GOOD.

No, it's just not going to work that way. There is only one way out, and that is to eliminate or at least limit mechanics where trivial automation is superior to any human. Relying on micro to measure "skill" is just not working outside that tiny little, rotten sandbox of perceived security you gain temporarily by deploying overly aggressive anti cheat measures.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

It wasn't a conversation anyway though. It was a suggestion. As in, they could do this. Technically, they don't need your consent, they can do it anyway. If they feel like making a mod verifier, they could simply do so.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

They can write one if they like to but it won't work as expected. It requires full consent by all the users not to crack it, in which case they can just as well agree onto not using any mods by choice. Enforcing policies on the client is just broken by design, nothing can change that fact.
    cola_colin likes this.
  8. thetrophysystem

You are quoting me circa 2004 in C&C Renegade. I used client side mods, and a server didn't allow them. Well, who are they to know. But as a regular, I grew comfortable, and I didn't use client mods out of respect after frequenting them, but there were "break" maps that were just coop vs bots in custom singleplayer remake maps. I would turn on UI mods for that, and had actually asked if I could and approved, but I was discussing it and someone said wait you can't use UI mods, and I said I asked and they said I most certainly did not.

They kicked me and made me download and install a file-integrity-checker. To play with them, I had to start my game, confirm they see me logged-in main-menus, then run the program which auto sends them email afterwards on results, then get green-lit to enter server. Which is a hassle to do just to play at a server with these gents. I really think they were just butthurt on the concept of any sort of modification whatsoever.

They were just character skins, weapon skins, reticles, and sound files anyway. I know people make rainbow colored bright sniper skins, and giant skins and detailed audio files to detect direction and such. It is just, 80% of Renegade models were just casual cosmetics, like smiley face c4s and spetsnas olive drab camo skins and cool powerful looking super weapon effects.
  9. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Rootkits, Rootkits, Rootkits, DRM, DRM, DRM (repeats infinitely):p
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

very well put.

very VERY well put.

and so far noone has invented such a thing. (I'm talking genre-wide. not just this game)
  11. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I've changed my mind. I'm okay with Mods in ranked games now.
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Would you mind elaborating on this change of heart? I am genuinely interested in your rationale.
  13. cola_colin

me as well
    chattyrazzy likes this.
  14. tatsujb

yethhh plz tell uthhh :>
    [​IMG]
    squishypon3 likes this.
  15. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I've started using mods myself and I've come to the conclusion that there's not really any (or very little if any) advantage which can be given through UI modding. I tried playing around with Hotbuild but I just didn't get it/or it just didn't suit my play style/didn't really give it a chance actually, but there are other mods which I do like.

I'm still a little concerned that there may be mods which people can develop and not publish to PAMM, which may allow them some efficiencies, that others won't have, but at the end of the day I'm satisfied that any advantage won't be enough to spoil the game.
    tatsujb and squishypon3 like this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

then just dont have them at all to avoid the risk of spoiling the game entirely .. simple thing ...
  17. nlgenesis

nlgenesis Member

No, because they make the gameplay more smooth/pleasant. I want smooth/pleasant.
    tatsujb likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yupp lets have gameplay infuential mods that change match after match ... lets not have consistensy but let us spam newcommers to ranked with a thausand mods ... seriously why dont you just go and make your own version of faf then ..
    go make your own part of comunity and be done with it ...
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

What gameplay influencing mods concern you?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. tatsujb

squishypon3 likes this.