Show off your new custom/symmetrical maps!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, November 18, 2014.

1. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

Floating island map?! Awesome. (Reminds me of starcraft) This would be really cool to play on (if it doesn't glitch out)
    warrenkc and elodea like this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

That would make for a great Air battle
    corteks likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Reminds me of some of the TA maps where there'd be bits of land with air between each, which meant lots and lots of "island" hopping with air.
  5. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Or supcom and supcom2 with ferry systems (it was actually quite nice in supcom2 because ships would FALL down those canyons and stuff)
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

whhhhhaaaaaaaaatt thhhheeeeee .... !!!!!! .... were is the Lava in that ???? .... disapointed :(

no seriously ... THAT is AWESOME !!!
    Remy561 likes this.
  7. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

How did you get that? Did you use the modded editor?
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

In PTE you can place CSG freely. :)
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This is awesome. Can you build on those islands? With tweaking I could actually see this becoming a viable air-led game mode. Make the islands a little bigger maybe.
    Remy561 likes this.
  10. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I don't think you would be doing any pathing at all on this map. It would be air and artillery only.
  11. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

I could see somebody doing some sick strats with transports and sniper bots or shellers on this map :p Especially if transports were made t1. @jables plz ;)
    burntcustard likes this.
  12. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

how does one do that though? I have yet to find that option...
  13. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Check the keybindings. You activate the editing mode with ctrl+e.
    maxcomander, Murcanic and squishypon3 like this.
  14. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Thanks for the info... was scratching my head for a moment there! :confused::confused:
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

hold on... so I've looked up examples of rotational symmetry which works on 2D faces.

but applying it to a sphere would come down to ....simply augmenting the number of axi?

I see a use for FFA. 2 players. ...1 axis. 4 players. ...2 axi. 6 players? err 3 axi but then it's reeealy thin slices, it only gets interesting again at 8 players where you can cut perpendicular to the other two axi (so still three). think cell cleavage :
    [​IMG]

IMO after that is too much the planet would get too redundant. but as I said, for those types of FFA? definite want.
    #HRDLCCONFIRMED (was gonna put HL3confirmed but nobody would have gotten where I was getting at)

also can I haz? what exactly did you do to generate this @elodea?
  16. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

The degree of symmetry defines the number of times a point will be reproduced on the shell of the sphere aka the surface of the planet, "mirrored" through the center of the sphere.

It really is no different from 2d.
  17. tatsujb

dude my brain is off you're going to have to help me out. use paint if you have to. (but Pixrl if you aren't a stickler for old bad habits)
  18. TheLambaster

whyYouMakeMeDoDis.png

Imagine all angles of one color to be the same...

This would be a 3-fold symmetry

You project every point onto the opposite point on the shell through the center and rotate the projection vector which comes from the center of the sphere by some degrees according to the degree of symmetry. And the vector obviously has to be in the same plane as the original point to be mirrored and the center point.

I guess you also need to define a plane which you rotate around the center, on which all the projection vectors have to be...?
    Last edited: November 19, 2014
  19. tatsujb

ya. uh-hun that's what I thought you were saying.

no that would not work on the surface. draw the frontiers of each zone on the surface. (Preferably without any lines crossing (unless they are splitting zones into more zones))
  20. TheLambaster

of course need to make sure you get smooth transitions between the projections... you have to do that with flat maps too...
    That's more a question of the algorithm that build the terrain features and textures though, I'd say.