Feature Request: Editable Paths + Production Sets

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by positronus, November 18, 2014.

1. positronus

positronus New Member

Hi!

I don't know where to send feature requests, so I post it here.

What I would really like to see in the game are editable paths, that are like objects and that can be assigned any unit or group of units to follow it. Also, I would like to be able to define, store and recollect sets of vehicles in factories, like: build 3 tank, 2 flak, do this 50 times (or infinitely until revoked) and send them to this path.

Anybody agree?
  2. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Yes I've seen a lot of people requesting ways to remember and editing building queues. I think last time this popped up the wanted the ability to one factory to assist another and it would automatically use the second factory queue.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I don't understand how what you asked for, isn't what clicking a location or series of locations or patrol on a factory does already.

And I don't understand but think your second suggestion was for factories to be able to store units inside of a factory when built so 50 can come out at once. Well, that would be magical storage. Besides, trust me, you don't really want that, them all being piled about means if a threat comes in you can take some randomly laying about units to deal with it quickly.

The only use for a giant unit storage, would be if it moved and had hearty health. Then it would be a giant transport. And that would in fact be useful.
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

No, what he meant was having persistent paths in the form of having "virtual units" - let's call them "beacons" for now - where you can order units to "assist" that beacon and thereby have it execute the assigned command chain.

And if you change the path, all units assigned to that path, auto-execute the new commands.

Similar to assisting factories, but without having to use any destructible stock building as the "beacon" and with the ability to edit paths which are already being executed on the fly.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Oh I see I see... Yeah, in pre-alpha I always liked the idea of orders being designed in a way that they can be given or edited forward or backwards, either at the subordinate unit or at the goal.

Such as, give an attack command to a unit, or give an attack command to a structure and something responds (with some design on to how to choose what attacks).

Or, give a move order to a unit, or make a move order and give units to it, in this original poster's case.

Or another example that would be useful for this philosophy in-game, giving a load order to a transport, OR giving a load order to a unit and the transport respond similarly.

Or giving a unit a build queue, or giving a build queue and assigning units to it first, sort of like "factory assist".

Because there is nothing but benefit (and delicious magical clutter which nobody minds in my incorrect opinion) from having at least 2 ways to give an order, to a unit or to a destination.
  6. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

I wont ever actually play PA before we don't have editable paths and queues...
  7. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

So?

On topic: The first can be done already through groups and patrolling on factories (even though it has absolutely no use in this game to make units patrol from factory other than for fireflys), the second should make its way into the game eventually, and im pretty sure its do-able through mods currently, just that nobody has done it yet. Although i dont really see much of a reason to make it build x amount of these 'blueprints' because there is really never a case where you think 'i really only need 50 sets of these units'.
  8. nlgenesis

nlgenesis Member

I like the idea of being able to predefine virtual queues, to which you can then assign Factories. Makes a lot of sense too, as there are more Factories then unique queues. (At least in my games, all Factories have the same queue...) It would be an abstraction of Factory assist.

Such elegant... Much useful... I want it!

(Or drop the elegant and just get us Factory assist as a quick step 1.)