What is your preferred method of camera control? [poll]

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pieman2906, November 18, 2014.

?

What is your preferred control setup for the camera?

1. WASD

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Arrow keys

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Dragging with middle mouse

30 vote(s)
    61.2%
  4. Edge scrolling

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Other (please post)

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

The aim of this thread is to see what control setups are most popular.

In my travels of introducing new people to the game, one of the things which has proved most difficult for people to get over/ have caused people to drop the game, (aside from lack of tutorial) is having difficulty with the default camera controls.

Personally, I prefer using WASD. It feels more comfortable and lots of the most important default keybinds (f, r, g, the build hotkeys on the bottom row) are all nearby.

I personally feel like the WASD setup should be made the default, with the attack hotkey being moved to 'e' (which i feel is pretty comfortable placing).

But what do other people think? What is most comfortable for you?

I think getting a more comfortable default setup should help a lot of new players pick up the game faster and easier.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

middle mouse master race
    Alpha2546, aapl2, warrenkc and 3 others like this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

All hail MMB!
    aapl2, Planktum and cdrkf like this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

MMB: Standard CAD / Modelling software controls :p
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. immorhys

immorhys New Member

WASD + repeatedly slamming N, because everytime you change planets, the roulette camera orientation wheel spins again, and locking to north is just horrible when you need to attack that way.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  6. squishypon3

Exactly why I love/am so used to MMB, it just feels so natural. XD
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd recommend to try use camera save locations instead of N, it's more flexiable to get back to a "known" oritentation.
  8. pieman2906

I used to get a bit confused with the changing orientation, but after a moderate number of games I managed to just get used to it, so I can deal with the changing orientation most of the time now.
  9. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Take some time during the early game to set an anchor system that covers all the relevant areas of the planet. Anything that is not covered with anchor and PiP: mousedrag.
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Brain-Computer Interface.
  11. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I kinda use WASD, except moved one to the right. ESDF are the keys I use.
  12. pieman2906

I think I remember hearing that someone on the forums said they used UHJK or something? That'd be... interesting.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Probably a left-hander.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  14. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Hah, I seem to be the only edge-scroller. My reason: I use a trackball and have no mmb. Camera saves and edge scrolling works fine for me.
  15. pieman2906

Pretty surprising that early results so heavily favour MMB, and that WASD is so relatively unpopular. Whenever i use MMB it feels clunkier and more restrictive (I cant click things or issue orders while scrolling at the same time).

For arrow users, how do you get around the fact that arrow keys are so far away from the rest of your hotkeys?
    iron71 likes this.
  16. corteks

corteks Active Member

I'm an arrow user, and I guess I don't use that many hotkeys. Mainly just "f" to select idle fabbers, and the various number+key commands (control groups and camera anchors).

My main work is CAD so I'm used to scrolling using the MMB, but in Planetary I just don't find that it feels all that good. This is at least partly cause my mouse's MMB is a little bit buggered though, LoL.
  17. squishypon3

How do you move and use hotkeys at the same time? :l
  18. iron71

iron71 Member

WSAD all the way :D I only use MMB when I'm zoomed in farther, it provides more precise control. My WASD sensitivity is pretty high because I like flicking around the planet quickly.
  19. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I find that I can usually move my mouse much quicker than using keys to move the camera. I like to be able to constantly be rotating the camera to watch for stuff all around the planet. I did try wasd but it is too slow for doing this easily.
  20. pieman2906

you only really need two fingers max at any one time to be moving the camera, and most of the important hotkeys are close enough that one of your three free fingers can hit them no problem.