Some changes in how we use PTE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 10, 2014.

1. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

can't you just give us a mostly broken build so we can all come back here in 30 minutes to bitch and complain about it?

oh that came out wrong...

still, 30 minutes of respite
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

While I would agree to a certain extent, there is a rather persuasive counterpoint.

Why test a build when you already know what the issue is? How can you test what problems might arise when you solve the final problem?
    Remy561 likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

just 30 minutes? don´t you rather mean for the next 30 days?
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I think he meant IN 30 minutes, duration was left undefined.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

err no he didn´t just meant it but actualy said it ... so yea i just go back to bed :p
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

duration until next build is released, then another 30 minute respite.

So the best solution is to release new builds to us every 30 minutes. The community doesn't sleep so neither can Uber ;)
  7. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

8. mered4

DENIED.
    Remy561 likes this.
  9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

On the plus side, the longer it takes, the more time there is to get other new stuff in :p
  10. masonmatter

masonmatter New Member

Hey Jables, as someone who's pretty active on the 1v1 ladder and pays a lot of attention to the meta, are there going to be any changes to the unit tiers? Like maybe adding another tier or new units to mix things up? Right now it seems that T1 spam is the only way to go, there's no effective way to go with a tech-focused open that doesn't get absolutely wrecked by Docs early. Other competitive strategy games have room for later-game strategies to be played out and it seems that PA really doesn't with the current meta being what it is. Anyway, good job with the new update, love the idea with Jigs. Hope to see these changes soon!
  11. mered4

....You mean other stuff that will be buggy and weirdly twisted?

Nope. I'd rather the build not be delayed further. Though....more stuff to test would be nice.

:p
    Remy561 likes this.
  12. mered4

I would highly recommend trying out some balance mods. Especially The Community UberBalance (not just because I made it, but because it's the most similar to Vanilla).

There's also the RCBM and Statera. Both perform vast balance adjustments while keeping (somewhat) to the original idea of PA's Vanilla balance. The end result is pretty huge, though.

You'll want PAMM to download and swap the mods.

Links:

RCBM: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-the-realm-community-balance-mod.58942/
    Statera: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-server-mod-statera-balance-mod.60342/
    Community UberBalance: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/fixing-the-balance.65408/
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Expansionist is even more similar as it changes no unit stats at all :p
    mered4 likes this.
  14. masonmatter

masonmatter New Member

That sounds cool but I'm not into mods that much. I'm playing the 1v1 ranked ladder trying to improve, if there's gonna be any changes it'll have to be through Uber themselves. I want this is be a real, competitive game and I know Uber does too. The best way for that to happen is to change the base game and make it as competitive-friendly as possible, if that makes any sense.
    judicatorofgenocide and Planktum like this.
  15. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

There is no way they will add anything else in, because it would have the potential to bring in additional bugs too.
  16. cola_colin

I don't think that has to be the case. Big stuff, sure not. Big small fixes and improvements: Why not?
    Planktum and Remy561 like this.
  17. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

That's what I meant, small things. Sorian posted that he found another small bug in the AI so that is fixed now ;) Probably other small have been fixed as well in the mean time.
    Planktum likes this.
  18. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

God forbid the customers expect something sometime down the line similar enough to what was advertised to them in order to entice them to buy the product. Seriously? I mean, jesus man. That's advertising 101. The map features were a big goddamn deal in TA, even moreso than in SupCom. They define battles in ways no balance changes ever could.

Previous statements said, I can't argue too much against this.

Not going to lie, that maze of mesas would be a perfect place to hide power generators and air factories. It'd also be a good place to send quick strike teams to keep harassment up where your enemies don't expect you to be. That's exactly the type of terrain I want to see in PA. Maps that throw the entire "meta" out the window on purpose. I can see why you wouldn't want the whole planet like that, but it's still a strategic point of interest.
    Also, that image in particular isn't all that much worse than many of the maps from TA, which did just fine. I fail to see what's bad about mazes like that other than personal preferences on map design. "That thing is a maze!" I know! I love it! xD

Terrain squabble aside, this whole thread amazes me so far, and I'm liking a lot of what's going on between the PTE and communication increase. The slight, yet noticable, glimmer of hope I can see from the writing of posts makes me want to to play again. (Should I ever get my mouse scroll wheel working again, anyway.)
  19. cola_colin

!patch
    [​IMG]
  20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Is there supposed to be a PTE released or a stable build?