What is Top1?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by K1S3L, November 17, 2014.

?

What is Top1?

1. Ladder top1

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Series victories in tournaments 1v1

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. King of the planet

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Skill

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. All this

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

Lately most good players so rarely played, that I havent interesting matches and game starts bored. Decided to diversify its purpose, chose to take top1. But it is not clear what is considered an indicator of top1.
    mot9001 likes this.
  2. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I'd still say Elodea is the no1 player as he is reigning KOTP champion and top of both ladders. There have not been any 1v1 tournaments recently which might alter this
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I know for fact the mapbase of ubers 1v1 matchmaking has costed this game a bunch of good players. I think they might come back when uber got a decent set of maps in the game.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Maybe that is what started it, but I was willing to keep playing even with the bad maps. The reason I have only played twice in more than a week is because I rarely find fun matches on automatch. I guess that's because other good players stopped for their own reasons.
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I took a break because I am basically on the worst sleep schedule to play vs the Europeans so I never get decent matches
    cptconundrum, K1S3L and squishypon3 like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Other : PAstats 1v1
  7. foerest

foerest Member

https://www.hotslogs.com/Player/MatchHistory?PlayerID=543683

slowly becoming top 1, Kappa

but really there is no "top 1" just like any sport different seasons normally bring a different champion.. I would say elodea tho atm, until matiz comes back and wins some tourneys or something vs him i dunno, and yah what mot said, more maps and f2players Kappa
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Elodea has a song written about him. That makes him number 1 surely?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh yeah? Well if I made an ego-serving clan it would be the Cult of Geers. The clan-tag would be COG. A cog is another word for a gear.

I win.
  10. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

In starcraft/starcraft 2, players who win series of the most demanding tournaments are considered top1. Ladder is basically meaningless, because often the guy who is more active can be top1. Top1 is mostly prestige and opinion based title, there is always someone who can disagree. There is just way too many factors to take into account. Racial imbalance, daily disposition, different trends in metagame (sometimes favours aggressive players, sometimes passive), activity, bracket luck, jetlag and tons of more prolly.
    mot9001 and Clopse like this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

huh that's interesting.

In FAF we can't really distinguish the 1v1 from skill because the guys who are top on 1v1 also are top in tourneys of all sorts.

that being said "top" is a very wide term for the 1v1 ladder i'd say it goes to top 200.

but the fact remains that our n°1 and n°2 on 1v1 are also n°1 and n°2 in, tourneys and this includes some tourneys that are more peculiar, such as FFA or team.

but I do think the starcraft 2 approach might be better for PA.
  12. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

I could take PAstats top1, but I didnt do it because knew what elodea better and it would be stupid.
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Winner of the last tournament is the best in my eyes. No idea who that was. The ladders are a good indication alright but tournaments show a lot more.

A tournament on the balanced symmetrical maps would be pretty fun next Saturday. Maybe a clopsey but way to early to make that decision.

At the moment elodea or neptunio are best as the build suits their play styles.

But tournaments show who the real players are.
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Personally, I don't give a crap. It's the top twenty to me, and then I base performance on various scenarios other than 1v1s. After all, 1v1s aren't the only thing in this game ;D
    masterofroflness likes this.
  15. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I have a distinct memory of orbital laser sniping you a few weeks ago in a FFA, so as soon as you hit your top 1 slot, then I suppose it will retroactively be taken by meeeeee.

Actually, I think tournaments are the most fun, if perhaps not most accurate, way of determining the 'best' player.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this, I can't wait to actually play fun maps again. Need to get the fame back.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  17. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

the gameplay is also getting kind of stale...there isnt anything new in terms of gameplay (such as balance changes, new units, new planet mechanics, added UI or anything that changed/improves the gameplay experience) all the changes have been added to the core (bug fixes, pathfinding, ranked play, optimization...) which is all good...but the game itself is just the same thing if your good (bots, transition into bombers/tanks, then maybe go T2 and/or orbital later on...I dont even do multi-planet spawns because it is so boring and uninteresting invading a planet, and feels very...spammy and annoying to deal with teleporters)
  18. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I eagerly await the announcement of a Clopsey mid-afternoon on Saturday.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the game play is going to be changing quite dramatically in the near future, with balance changes and updates to the system editors coming up... The calm before the storm :)
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That's allot of notice for a Clopsey, I mean that's got to be several hours! You just don't get dedication like that from everyone... :)
    stuart98 likes this.