If you could change one thing about PA what would it be?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, November 14, 2014.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

1) I would restrict orbital to the most basic units :
    - Orbital launcher to build and launch satellites / eggs. Both units being able to travel from one planet to another one
    => Basically, no orbital warfare. It brings useless complexity and does not help with battlefields visualization and understanding
    2) I would implement Unit Canon for massive surprise assaults in between planets or on the same planet
    3) I would implement large transport ships for massive surprise assaults (They would take off and travel in between planets or on the same planet)
    4) I would re-engineer procedural generation to produce awesome biomes with strategical impact on gameplay.
    sigmaul and Planktum like this.
  2. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Because someone has to say it:
    UC
    Maldor96 and stuart98 like this.
  3. m1dnightmoose

m1dnightmoose Active Member

I want wild animals that wonder round on planets :p Crazy giant desert worm!!

<3
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

No that is wrong. The kickstarter trailer did not even show a single orbital unit and still had halleys and death from above (unit cannon). Orbital was a stretch goal and lived up to the expectations as much as naval and galactic war did - not at all.
    eroticburrito and Planktum like this.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

GIANT SAND WORMS.

Honestly I'd change the art style. I always preferred the reality-focused SupCom type stuff.
    cmdandy, tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  6. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Tough choice, I would go for adding a faction I think.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I might say change the original kickstarter; remove things like the unit cannon, somewhat difficult-to-deliver-on promises etc, indicate that it is more diff from TA than originally thought etc.

This way I feel as though we'd have less forest-fires in the community and games media about what PA is and isn't, what it should have and shouldn't etc.

(I might also suggest bumping the release date a smidge)

These changes would have other knock-on effects as well, e.g. a greater chance for Human Resources etc.
    DalekDan and elodea like this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Possibly, though they may have resulted in the pa kickstarter not succeeding in the first place. I think a part of the issue for hr was that uber were a bit too realistic about what they needed and what they could achieve with it.

Unfortunately people expect a huge amount from kickstarter funded projects.
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I wonder if the sky high expectations for certain games is because of the initial funding goals. If you set your goal at $900k and say you can do all these features on this money, but in the end you get $2.2m, people are going to think that you're waaaay overfunded and this should be no problem to accomplish. Even if the reality is that 2.2m is a shoestring for this sort of project, backers don't know that because you said you could do it for 900k, and added stretch goals.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. greysuit

greysuit New Member

I would lower movement speed for T1 ground units, especially the dox, to the point where we get epic macro games again.
    Planktum likes this.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

12. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

i would change BradNicholsons currently "offline" status, so we can have more of him and his incredible bot strategies
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I might be okay with getting rid of orbital, if there was a teleporter, half the cost of a nuke, and could open an "exit" absolutely anywhere, and let out exactly 100 units when it does. Maybe, make teleporter jammers, expensive AS a nuke, and short range, but to keep enemies from tele-dropping your com or superweapons.

Then, make the pelican t1 and only able to pick up basic fabbers and infernos with very weak health like so, but able to travel orbital.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The downside is though, that if your *not overly optimistic* then people don't back. The successful projects almost always promise a *huge amount* whether it's realistic or not. I think in the case of PA Uber planned to release it early access from the get go- and that the Kickstarter was in fact only the initial funding (though they stated it 'was enough')....

They appear to be sticking to their word of continuing with development though. I think people just need to get used to how a KS backed game works.
  15. JWest

JWest Active Member

This. All the likes on this.
    Remy561 likes this.
  16. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Agreed. Uber's business execution is often clumsy and naive, and it's probably been the biggest detraction so far. In addition to the HR timing, for example that early access boxed stunt really did them no favours either.

I'm sure they did everything with good intentions, but good intentions does not always mean good perception if you channel it wrongly.

*But it seems uber is alot more savvy now adays. Very conservative when it comes to announcing features before confirmed etc, and focusing on building PR back up with a communication effort.
  17. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

dito.

Orbital units and the current multi planet gameplay are the reasons why PA is no fun for me. They are sadly a mess and it will probably take a huge effort to fix their problems. On the other hand, removing them would be removing a major aspect of the game, so I know it won't happen. Well, then on to the hard way I guess^^
    Last edited: November 16, 2014
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  18. Crembels

Crembels Member

A massive, high definition art upgrade.

More lights, textures, planet details etc etc. Basically a major aesthetic facelift.
    sigmaul, tatsujb, warrenkc and 2 others like this.
  19. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

I'd put in multiple asymmetric factions and a commander customization thingy.
    sigmaul, tatsujb and warrenkc like this.
  20. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Put permanent stargates on each planet.