Air has ...very serious issues with pathfinding.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, November 10, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Air is the worst at pathing.

every single order issued has to be thought out for a veeeeeeeeery looooong time and the path they take. is the wrong one anyways.

right angles to get from point a to point b when all I want is a straight line.

you can't micromanage air because giving it a quick set of orders is the best way to turn them into sitting ducks.
    Last edited: November 10, 2014
    christer1966, ace63, K1S3L and 3 others like this.
  2. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

Thank you for bringing this up again. It must be fixed.
    Last edited: November 10, 2014
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  3. tatsujb

also com's pathing is totally bogus.

no pathing applied to D-gun

targeting out of range with d-gun when behind your own structure will make you shoot your own structure.

you could say it's in line with sim pro but I could say the way it looks looks too dumb and pathfinding could easily be used to determine if the projectile will intersect or not and if he should move first or not.
    Planktum likes this.
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Don't have much to add here, but I want to keep it in sight and controlling air really does need fixing.

Nothing more annoying than idly giving an attack order and then watching as your bombers stop in place and slooooowly rotate over enemy AA:mad:
    websterx01, LmalukoBR and nevr0n like this.
  5. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Atleast air units won't get stuck in terrain or stuck because they dont want to walk to a bridge (metalplanet).
  6. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

Problem not only in long calculate, but still when appointing new command, they stop-calculate-start movement, but need continue movement-calculate-change path. I hope wrote understandable.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

translation: seemless change in pathing on the go than "stop and go"
    kayonsmit101 and corteks like this.
  8. tatsujb

this indeed seems reasonable.
  9. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

There is a little bit of a fix I suppose. If you ctrl-right-click for a move order the units don't bother trying to keep formation. This prevents air from stoping and reforming when you give it a new order.
  10. tatsujb

that is completely unrelated.

already fomationed air units have the behaviour i described in the OP
  11. dom314

Sorry, I meant for this part from the OP:
    Using ctrl-right-click prevents the air group from slowing down more than a single plane would.
  12. tatsujb

considering it's an actual full stop, not a slowdown, managing my planes with ctrl won't save them
  13. dom314

How often do you need to issue orders for a single fighter to stop mid-air? I can get to 2 clicks per second reliably without the fighter slowing down.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. tatsujb

never. I never did.
  15. dom314

Lol okay. This is completely unrelated to OP but is related to pathing:

When you want your blob of air units to change direction, and you really don't want them to stop in order to make a new formation over some enemy AA, you can ctrl-right-click instead of just right-clicking. This will make the air turn as individual planes.
  16. tatsujb

what if they are ALREADY in formation and stop anyways?

what if you use ctrl and they stop anyways?

I think you don't understand the OP.
  17. dom314

When they are already in formation, and you issue another move order to change direction, the air force will sometimes stop, shift some planes around to go into a different formation, and then accelerate again.

18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

spam-clicks for air don't really work very well, so air micro is very different from land micro. I don't really care whether or not it is a bug because both sides need to work around it. It's just a different kind of micro and you need to keep it in mind when you give orders to air.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

But it's harrrrd, I can't remember stuff like that in the excitement of pulling off a pro bomber snipe.

Also, let's be honest, it looks pretty silly when a load of future jets just stop and rotate towards their new target.

20+ years and there's still no game that does planes like TA did. Realistically quick jets with realistic turning circles would work so well in PA with the spherical maps.
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Okay, I am not sure what issues you are talking about.
    I just made a testgame*. Even giving a 180° turn order, did not get the units to stop. they made a short moving U-turn, then were on thier way. A short slowdown to keep the turn cicle small, but otherwise they kept mooving.
    Of course bombers were a bit more slugish (since they are bombers), but at no moment did any unit stop totally.

*Oddly, I cannot find the replay. I have forced the Local server to off in the settings. Maybe it no longer saves replays for AI skirmish? But then again the list does not appear to add anything, so maybe jsut the listing is temporarily broken.

Pathing has a very slight "shift" to one side on the current small planets. Propably based on them making a moving turn at the start (so the most direct way is not a straight line between start and end, but slightly shifted to the side depending on orientation).

Wait, formations?
    Are you talking about using the Formation Tool? The one that is not released. Then one that did not work out, is still around in the code and can be enabeled via Mod?

Could anyone make a watchable replay or video of the effect? Because right now I have no idea what issue you guys are even talking about :confused: