Is there such a thing as cheesy pa play for 1v1 or group games?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by judicatorofgenocide, November 8, 2014.

1. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

the most cheesiest play is nuking the enemy teleportes as soon as they're on the ground.

You don't win with it but you're just stalling the game for like forever. If someone screws me over with this I immidiatly get out of the game.

Can't defend against it so it is pretty cheesy.
  2. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Thats such a massive waste, why wouldn't you wait for the army to start streaming through before nuking? XD
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what i would consider cheesy is pushing the enemy commander into a minefield ... someone ever tried that?
    Last edited: November 11, 2014
    websterx01 likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this game has mines? /s
  5. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

I think the SC2 community can unanimously agree that the 4gate was cheese. You couldn't hold off the 4gate unless you knew how to, and that it was coming. I used it to get to plat in a few dozen games. @cptconundrum has the right idea.

I don't think the current PA patch has any cheesy plays, since the easiest way to win is 4bot into dox and move your comm to his base with a stream of doxi. Even if you know it's coming, you're not stopping it.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't think it was cheese, apart from the proxy version of it. But on normal maps with ramps it was scoutable by just looking at the base and reacting with calm force fields and robotics.
    Cheese is way more extreme than a 4 gate was. Like a cannon rush or something.
    Though I guess it is hard to define what "extreme" means.
  7. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Proxy 4gate? I think that's an oxymoron, or a redundant, since the forward pylon kinda makes it a proxy. You can counter it now, since they've changed how vision and ramps work so you can't warp in his base, and that's only for pvp. Zs can't deal with it like that.
    I think everything converges on the scouting part. Because if you were 100% sure that it was coming before the game even loads, and you couldn't hold it off then that would call for a balance adjustment.

I take back what I said about the dox and cheese thing. I just tried the 3 vehicle into inferno+com rush, and there is no way a noob is holding it off. If you scout it thought, you might have a chance.
  8. coldcrescent

coldcrescent New Member

I used to be a fan of the 2rax back in Wings of liberty. Butthurt tech-greedy protoss everywhere...

For PA, it's got to be a T1 bomber snipe if they neglect to scout you, or lobo+inferno deathballs.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The forward pylon comes much later. Usually the right time to scout a 4 gate was before the gates were even build, or in a perfect case scout that the 4 gates are being placed. So a proxy 4 gate would a) "waste" one chronoboost on probes or something to make it look like you are not 4 gating and b) put the 4 gates somewhere to a proxy pylon. Maybe even c) put up a robot in front of the scouting probe of your opponent and cancel it after killing the probe. So you're putting yourself at a real disadvantage compared to the default 4 gate, hoping your opponent won't realize that you are trying to actually rush him. That's what I call cheese.
  10. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Sounds to me like high level tactical play :p