DLC still in the works?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by DonnyD, February 10, 2011.

1. syntaxbad

syntaxbad New Member

Thanks Eka! We know you all are working phenomenally hard and want you to keep up the good work!
  2. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Yeah, it's kind of a mess. Some of these policies are antiquated and need to be changed. They don't really apply to a fully digitally distributed game that thrives on updates.
  3. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

PS3's policies/technology any better? **hint hint**
  4. xknight2099

xknight2099 Member

Thanks for keeping us updated.

A couple precedents I can think of where free DLC came out the same time as paid was MTG:duels

They would release an expansion with new cards then they release a free one that would let you play multi with the people who have the DLC.

Actually I think Fable 2 did that as well.

The only Shooter I can think of that might have done it was Borderlands and I think that just allowed you to use dlc guns with non dlc players.

However no one to my knowledge has allowed players to play on new maps that require a purchase with a free update.

I know transformers WFC would kick you if the match was going to be on dlc maps and you didnt have it.

Still I look forward to when it comes out.

If people are looking for the hats it could be released as a small paid dlc like the spec gear in B:BC2.

Is the policy for paid DLC different than free DLC that makes paid DLC easier to release?
  5. Ian

Ian New Member

Witch, WITCH!

If there was a map pack, then the free version would only include the other updates. The maps would be on their hard drive, but you'd have to pay to unlock them. There's no point in paying for a DLC if the free version has maps, too etc.

The problem with hats (we'll call it Gear from now on!) is actually incorporating it into the game, from what I can tell. It seems that Uber can delve a lot deeper into the game code on PC, whereas they can only do so much with an Xbox patch. Also, if Gear came, it seems to be Uber's policy that it'd be free (at least, there'd be some free Gear for everyone)

Aaaaaand, you won't really get an answer on the last one. Microsoft seems to have different policies for every game. On average, it seems that games are allowed to put out one free DLC. After that, Microsoft wants their cut. However, in this case, why didn't Valve put out one massive free DLC for TF2? Maybe they're just sulking?
  6. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

Judging from that response, which is rather irritating btw, I'll take that as a no.

Especially after
    The deal with that is Microsoft just plain and simple will not let Valve release anything for free. Unlike on Steam, Valve can't release it for free, so refuses to do so until they've updated everything they can on the PC version. They say they plan on packaging all that up and selling it for the lowest possible price they can get from Microsoft, about five bucks. However, seeing as this is Valve, and it was announced several years ago, it's pretty much considered dead already.

In other words, anything for free seems unlikely with Microsoft in the picture.

And while this may not be TF2, and they not Valve, this IS an amazing game, with continued support by the devs far beyond what you'd usually see, on an indie game no less, which no doubt makes things more difficult.
  7. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'm a little surprised Valve hasn't released a retail TF2 game with all the updated material loaded unto it.

Suppose it has to do with the XBOX 360 limitations/ not being worth it at this point. Shame, but oh well.
  8. mintycrys

mintycrys New Member

I'd say it has more to do with the pointlessness of releasing a game in which 80% of the players are going to idle on XBL for hats that can't really be sold.
  9. vI Snack Iv

vI Snack Iv New Member

Thanks for the replay, Eka.

This ain't Infinity Ward or Bungie, folks. (Although IW did patch MW2... took 'em long enough...)

<3
  10. ObiFett

ObiFett New Member

Not gonna lie, this part was kinda disheartening.

And then combined with this, leads me to believe that until XboxLive changes, we might not get any DLC. Basically, rather than assume its coming for sure, Uber may not be able to give it to Xbox players because of Live, not because of their dedication to the community. We may need to prepare ourselves for that possibility.

I still hold Uber to a high regard as far as developers go. But, if they have "no idea" when the next DLC is coming and XboxLive policies are preventing them from releasing content regularly, future content for the 360 version might be too far out to be considered a real possibility.

I just hope this didn't ruin Xbox's chances to get a MNC2, if/when it comes out. MNC is very solidly in my top ten games of all time. I can only hope I will get to play the sequel.
  11. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

I own both...I believe you wanted to say "rich, RICH!!!"

LOL, j/k. Now let me get back to listening to my solid gold iPod wrapped in baby seal skin.

But, I would like to see MNC on PS3.
  12. MagnumVeritan

MagnumVeritan New Member

I totally agree.

It's like I say about aliens. We don't KNOW they aren't out there, plotting to kill us. This is why I built a bunker full of canned food, a small armory of weapons, and plan on kidnapping any nearby females to help repopulate the earth after the fight.

Always count on the worst, it makes the most sense.
  13. Ian

Ian New Member

LOL GO DRIVE YOUR HANDBAG DOG 'ROUND IN YOUR NEW SUBARU. HATCHBACK IMPREZAS ARE TOTALLY FAIL, ANYWAY. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I think you're being a bit too dramatic. It's quite unlikely that Spunky was the last EVAR DLC for MNC. However, it could be a case that maybe we only get one more, big DLC, so that we only have 3 copies of the original maps on our hard-drives :lol: To me, that seems to be the only limit. We got Spunky. I don't see how they couldn't release more new maps. The problem is with editing the old maps, splitting the community, putting out a free version if there's other updates with the DLC. Also, you can't totally blame Microsoft here.

Just to clarify, I'm not "blaming" anyone here, that's pointless. But we also have to realize that this is Uber's first game, and they have to adapt and learn. This is not Bungie, who have been working with the Xbox console since launch, and who now have the multiplayer experience perfected. This is Uber, who did not have the resources nor time to structure MNC to handle a ton of different updates. MNC isn't structured to download, say, the new spawn exits from a server. So, Uber need to put a whole new version of the map on your hard-drive. Again, it's nobody's fault, it's just something to learn from and adjust for future games. This is how MNC is structured, and it can't be changed with a patch on Xbox, so we'll just have to live with it and take what updates we can get.

Again, the only Xbox Live policy holding them back is the patch limit, and possibly not having the ability to make drastic changes to the game code (although this may be an issue with the Xbox console and it's coding itself, rather than a "policy")

Oh, and the stupidly long time it takes to certify a patch/DLC.

TL;DR? Don't panic, we'll probably get some new maps at least

Also, this wouldn't stop Uber from theoretically releasing an MNC2. They'd just structure their game code to better handle updates. However, I don't want to see an MNC2 anytime soon. Let's not pull a Left4Dead 2 here
  14. Ian

Ian New Member

Double posting is a sin, and I'll burn in the fiery depths of hell, but two walls of text don't work very well in the same post. I just have a few questions. Genuinely intrigued, since I only have a netbook right now, so I can't mess around with UDK or anything :|

So, with the PC version, you knew that you wanted to implement Gear, and could restructure the game code to allow easier updates? You had a working PC build all the time, so if you released a PC version in August, would you have had the same problems? (although obviously they could be fixed easier on the PC platform). Also, does the PC version use the Unreal engine, too?

Is it that Microsoft won't let you touch certain files, because it'd be a QA nightmare, or is it just a limit with the Xbox console itself/the way the game code is compiled?

Is this an issue with the Unreal Engine? Is there any way you could get a super l337 Unreal maestro to figure out a way to update the old maps?

Do you mean that you're adding all new features (except maps) to the PC first, so that you can re-organize the menu to reflect these, and then this'll all come at once to the Xbox? Because you can change the menu much easier and much quicker on Steam? But that doesn't mean everything on PC will be coming to Xbox, either.

Do you mean hard-drive space (having to download multiple versions of maps), or Xbox RAM (Frameraaaaaaaaate)?
  15. StarPilot87

StarPilot87 New Member

Usually it would be RAM. Having only 512 MB RAM (with around 30MB dedicated to the XBox Guide) isn't a whole lot anymore. I don't know off the top of my head how outdated the CPU and GPU are, though I'm sure they're also something that must be considered with updates. Particle effects eat processors for breakfast.
  16. TheEroticZombie

TheEroticZombie New Member

You guys just need to do everything big you want to do and re-release it on disc.

hell id pay for it again.
  17. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

Hey, Eka?

You are my PitGirl.

You are my Pitgrrhrrhrrhrrl.

My PC should run MNC, I should buy it and rip off DeadStretch.

Also, did we get the shiny new Bullseye? After all, we got the Christmas one.
  18. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

Yeah I totally want Valentine's bullseye. That would be awesome.
    Sorry for the offtopic reaction.
  19. Ian

Ian New Member

Yeah, PC seems to be the way to go, now

I wonder if Uber would unlock the TF2/beta Gear for console players who have been playing since day 1?

Also, I'd say no to Bullseye. I'd imagine that was included in the Spunky patch and put on a timer, but I could be wrong. Not sure what they can change without a patch
  20. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Yeah, main problem for the XBOX360 is it's RAM size and GPU. More the RAM then the GPU.
    CPU is still decent. It's a tri-core @ 3.2Ghz.