Where did the name fabricator come from?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, November 9, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I had assumed TA called them fabricators, but I must have forgotten because I'm certain now they aren't. I always hound on people that call metal spots mex, or mass, as well as anyone calling fabs engineers. (Mostly for fun :D )

So then, where'd the name originate, was it just some board meeting at Uber? Or does it have ties to something like I originally thought. :p
  2. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Fabricators fabricate things. Why does it need a special name? The robots did not have huge discussions about the intricacies of what a specific robot should be called. It does exactly what it says on the tin.
    cwarner7264, Geers and stuart98 like this.
  3. squishypon3

Hm? No, I like the name fabricator, and I understand it's meaning. I was only wondering who thought of it. :p
  4. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

There was a thread about it early on, where people gave suggestions. TA called them Construction units, SupCom called them Engineers. Mex dates back to TA, they were always called Metal EXtractors, or Mass EXtractors in SupCom.

I think Engineer/Engy has stuck as it's easy to say. Although I do usually call them fabbers now, even though I found that name really grating when I first heard it.

Here's one thread on the subject, it wasn;t the first one but I it has a lot of discussion in it.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/please-dont-call-it.43824/
    squishypon3, Remy561 and tatsujb like this.
  5. squishypon3

There's the answer to my question! Ironic, really, I had the game in July, but I wasn't a part of the forum until... September IIRC, so I missed some stuff.

Personally I looove fabricator, not sure why so many people didn't like it. :p
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Personally I just call them "fabbers" (singular: fabby). It is a slangterm used in the Webcomic Schlock Mercenary.
    The same way I shorten Annihilation to "Anni" as in Anni-laser (based on the mater annihilation reactors of SM-verse).
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Never really thought about this :p
  8. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Yep, that was also the first thing i thought about when hearing 'fabber'. :D
  9. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

For me they will always be "раб"(slave) from word "рабочий"(worker)
  10. nateious

nateious Active Member

I can't shake off year of playing TA, so I call them construction bot/vehicle/plane
  11. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fab-Ric(e)-a-T(h)or:
    > A Thor, endowed with the sprinkly rainbow strength of a thousand Fabs, fuelled by thirty bowls of rice a day as he uses Mjölnir to hammer a race of robotic warriors into creation.
    Last edited: November 16, 2014
  12. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

You need to get over to GOG and pick up TA on sale right now for $3. Then head over to http://www.tauniverse.com/ and do more cool stuff.
  13. squishypon3

I own TA. ;)
  14. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

FALSE.
  15. squishypon3

Not false. :p

I've been playing TA:Zero a bunch with some guys. Lovin' it, magnificent mod.
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

[​IMG]
  17. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I always thought 'Lathers' would be a good name, since they use nanotechnology in replacement of ye old lathes or, more specifically, lathes of our current gen. That's probably what I'd call them, but that name likely came up in the past, and was thrown aside because 'lathe' isn't a term used in everyday speech.

Nowadays, though, you could probably get away with calling them Lathers in PA since there's a whole line of RTS visually based on this nanolathe-esque idea.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yes let's name them after what you do with loofah mitts.
  19. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Somehow, you stumped me on this one, so I looked up loofah mitts, and they're for bathing. Which I don't see how you can connect the two.

The word 'lathe' in nanolathe is pronounced with a long 'a' sound. It's completely different in definition as well as pronunciation. If all words that were spelled the same had other rules ignored, you'd have plenty of errors in the English language. I get where you're coming from, but for a game designed for those smart enough to play RTS, I would think understanding the pronunciation of a word wouldn't be too difficult.

Edit'd for clarity
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

IT'S A PUN. GEEZE.