Any good RTS games on mobile?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by m1dnightmoose, November 6, 2014.

1. m1dnightmoose

m1dnightmoose Active Member

For those times where PA isn't there for you ;_;
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm planning on creating one, but I need like 120$ a month to pay for the engine! XD
  3. m1dnightmoose

I'd love to help but I cant afford unfortunately. Good luck though!

<3
  4. squishypon3

It'll be a TA-like, sim projectiles, along with dynamic economy. Though it'd most likely be a loooot smaller scale than PA! Probably in line with TA, actually. :p
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No.
  6. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Android or iOS?
    For android you can try "Mechcom" its not that complex but its fun.
    "rusted warfare" looks interesting, but I didn't play it
    "star armada rts"

I don't have my iOS device with me and I don't remember names. There was a geme with gameplay little similar to Starcraft. I will check them when I return from work (europe time zone)

But for sure there are not that much good Rts games for mobile devices
  7. m1dnightmoose

Sounds awesome again I wish you luck, hope you can do it!

<3
  8. m1dnightmoose

Mechcom looks real good for a mobile game I'll give it a shot, and I don't have iOS so no need to check :).

<3
  9. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I am disappointed by the amount of (good) RTS games for mobile platforms, especially tablets, which are certainly powerful enough to run fairly large rts games. Dune II is still on my (crappy) phone, but I'm pretty sure it got pulled from google play.

I'm also thinking about making one, though I don't have any experience with developing AI players for RTS games... which is a problem, since I don't see multiplayer being more popular on mobile than PC. I should ask Sorian! Also would you want to play (a form of) Human Resources on tablet?

Which one? :p
  10. squishypon3

The Unity engine, as well as the android add on. 60 dollars each, per month :S
  11. stonewood1612

$75 + $75 says their site. That's kinda poopy that you have to pay twice as much for just to have pro features for Android. I do recommend Unity to every new game developer, since I find it very easy to use and it saves a lot of (coding) work. The free version of Unity can do the job for certain, but will lack some big features, mostly graphics wise, which isn't a problem if you're going for something simple or 2d pixelated.

You might want to save up $3000 though. With $150 a month, you'll hit that in less than 2 years, so in the long term that's a lot of money flying away.
  12. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Well, this is also not a god way. If you buy unity 4 right now you will need to pay again half of its price for unity 5. If you subscribe then you have access to all updates.
  13. squishypon3

I could do a kickstarter. ;D
  14. stonewood1612

I didn't know that though... though they seem to release a new version of Unity every 2 years, so it's roughly the same... though method 2 will be slightly more expensive if you do the maths. Fair point.

I'm your first backer. :p:p
  15. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Well I have touchscreen monitor an I sometimes play FA with it. I wanted many times to make rts game for mobiles, but its always same problem: no time for that, other projects are usually more important :-/
    In free time im making Tankcommander. Well it has Rts style graphics, so who knows, maybe I will make rts game from it? But right now one om my games have release in 6 December and I have a lot of work on it.
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

nowadays phones could totally run TA.

maybe even a full 3D with pivoting camera RTS. I don't think the corporates have yet realised there is a market for that.

they're too busy being successful with Puzzles with Matches, 2048, Flappy Bird clones, and Don't Tap The White Tile and the likes.

you can however play Battlefield 4 commander for real people.

I'm surprised they haven't done this for natural selection 2 as well.
    stonewood1612 and squishypon3 like this.
  17. squishypon3

I'd totally consider it, but I'm a bit scared it may not actually turn out like people hope. Which would suck.

Also I don't really know if there's enough demand for something like that, funding would probably go to a new computer, then to buy/rent the program. Which honestly is only about 5,000 dollars altogether, still dunno how it'd turn out.

Why a new computer? Because I have a **** computer, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had a bit of trouble with the engine. :p
  18. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

A Kickstarter for a proper mobile RTS with good controls and stuff would go rather well, I'd imagine.
  19. squishypon3

I've got some pretty good ideas I've been thinking up. The only issue is not all phones are created equal, so a game that works well on one phone might be quite bad on another.

I was thinking a low poly game, and I mean Total Annihilation level of poly count and reduction. Though I may be under represrepresenting mobile phone's power. XP

The main issue I've seen at the moment is of course ui clutteriness, and what exactly I'd have as reward tiers. Obviously I'd need to get people interested in paying extra. 100 people paying 50 dollars doesn't sound too impossible. *shrugs*
  20. commanderrage77

commanderrage77 Member

you could try ant wars...