Current work update - 11/5/14

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 6, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Honestly, I dunno. I'm not great at the legal stuff. I just know I have to check. So waiting to hear back more. I do love the map pack though. Some great maps in there.
    reptarking, Remy561, Quitch and 3 others like this.
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Yes and no. I'm not a traditional programmer, I'm the tech artist, so generally I'm working to make the game slower (adding effects, etc.). However I also handle some shader optimization work.
    cdrkf, Fasjeit, ArchieBuld and 14 others like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

miss quote potential of the year :D :D :D
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If the answer is yes, just send me a pm when you know. I think we are willing to use whatever license is best for you as long as the json metadata we added to each system stays intact. This is stuff like creator, version, date and description. Vanilla PA ignores it but System Sharing does display that.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Thats great because we still need more explosions and projectile effects :)
  6. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

You can never make them cool enough to appease us nerds! :p
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

still loving these updates ^^ I look forward to play testing on pte aswell as seeing everything to come :) thank you for the update info jables and a thanks to the whole uber team for working on these features ^^
  8. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Blizzard was straight-forward with this in starcraft 2, everything people made with the editor was their exclusive property and they gave 0$ for the map-makers who have their maps in the ladder.

Maybe you guys will be kinder. :oops:
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I think paid map competitions should be held by the community, but official ladder maps should be held by Uber.

The system editor still needs to be more complex first. There's not much detail we can put into maps right now, they're all sort of the same basic template with some random features.
  10. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

1. Click together some kind of system
    2. Check if it works
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
  11. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Each Dox round fired triggers a dynamic bullet cam with slow motion and wub wub.
  12. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Rediculous.. You made amazing SC2 maps that are still played a lot. They were even used in Massive tournaments.
  13. void2258

void2258 Member

Would rather see improved pathing and intelligent grouping, balance fixes for Naval and orbital, and economy improvements (I still maintain that T2 is too far from T1 in terms of costs, making a resource stall almost inevitable when moving up). In other words, I would prefer the the focus was on making the game more refined rather than on ranked play improvements while the game is still somewhat broken.
    Planktum likes this.
  14. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

All of those things you're asking for were also mentioned as being in the pipe for one of the next few updates, they're also working on being able to reliably create balanced maps so that we can have an environment in which to properly test the balance of units.
  15. Schemya

Schemya New Member

I've been dealing with external contributions and licences (open source or not) a lot in my country. I'm unsure how well this applies to USA.
    Basically, in my country, you'd need to :
    • get a signed authorization from everyone involved in the creation,
    • check they are the real copyright holders (in this case it should be easy but usually you need to check that nobody "borrowed" from someone else and no employer can claim ownership),
    • check they're all of legal age,
    • check that their country allow them to transfer or abandon their copyright (yeah, no kidding).
    Uber can either buy the maps (everyone would have to sign a custom contract of sale) or ask for CC-BY or CC-0 for example.
    With CC-BY, appropriate credit can be a point of conflict but it's very safe if you're cautious. CC-0 is extremely safe : it's universal public domain for the countries where you cannot put your creation in the public domain (you still need to check point 4 above though).

Excessive credits or publicity clauses, copyleft, non-commercial, non-derivative, verbatim, etc. would be dangerous for Uber.

Careless copyrights handling is a pretty effective way to impede or even sink any project, especially a commercial one. Fortunately, this isn't Uber's first rodeo. They are prudent, as they should be.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What about the..

http://www.wtfpl.net/about/ ?
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome.

Real glad balance changes and symmetrical are coming soon.
    cdrkf and mered4 like this.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Unfortunately I believe that the original creators (the ones we give credit to) of two planets in our pack are under 18. It does also get a little messy because we modified the systems for balance purposes before we published them, but @elodea did already go through the work of getting permission to use each map. We'll just have to wait and see what Uber decides to do.
  19. Schemya

Schemya New Member

I've seen a project IRL with a translation of it as licence. :D

Somehow, most companies prefer public domain or CC-BY or BSD or any similar licences out there really. I wonder why. ;)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I have discussed this in a previous post and thread.

@squishypon3
    It's questionable at best and at worst completely useless. (nervous inflection) It certainly sounds cool.;)
    Schemya likes this.