A few minor things that still bother me...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Z3K0N15, November 6, 2014.

1. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

So these things have been really bothering me for some time now.I understand that it might not be Ubers priority at the moment but without these, to me the game doesn't feel very epic to me and there's just this feeling that it could have been in the game earlier.Now its just mostly aesthetic things but here is the list.

First is the rockets.Firstly there's,what I presume to be a bug, is the rocket doesn't dock properly on the orbital launcher when fabing takes place.Here are some pics to show you what I mean.

http://imgur.com/CyoFxs3
    http://imgur.com/2OVvrem

My second complaint about the rockets would be they just sound and feel like toys.They just sound like there's steam being pumped out of something and the 3 second liftoff and explosion feel very underwhelming.Does anyone remember the kickstarter video,where the rocket fires off a huge noise and takes of slowly just like an actual rocket would with awesome sonic booms and an awesome separations?

Instead of what we have now:
    http://imgur.com/sNch95r

wouldn't it be awesome to have this?
    http://imgur.com/CQI3rOg

and lastly,probably my biggest gripe,is that the actual annihilation dosent feel like annihilation.I know I made a thread about this a while ago but the planet smashing dosent feel any way satisfying to me and every time I play I don't feel the need to see it or even attempt to do something which was supposed to look and feel awesome.Now i don't have an issue with the annihilaser but its just the smashing.And I ask again,Remember the kickstarter video,Now I know it was a pitch video but still,it looked so cool.I mean it dosent really matter even what sizes the planets are since they all basically do the same damage.Like a moon would only leave a small crater where I would have expected it to rip a planet in half.

Like what we have now:

http://imgur.com/UhiXcFn

And what we could have:

http://imgur.com/vnMCmjK
    http://imgur.com/sysSjnB

In the end I always look back to what I saw,and the plans for the game but ultimately, It ended up feeling very underwhelming.

What do you guys think,Would you like to see these small things worked on in the future or shall It just be the way it is?
    Remy561, xankar, tatsujb and 6 others like this.
  2. chocrates

chocrates New Member

They mentioned early on that they were "sacrificing" graphic quality to make it run smoothly. I am fine with the graphics as they are now. Much prefer they spend their time on competitive and balance. Make planet smashing viable enough to get used often and I will do that regardless of the animation :).
    The orbital launcher thing though, need to look at that. Don't remember if mine is always on the side. Will get annoying now that you have pointed it out if it does it a lot.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Your rocket is bugged, it is supposed to sit correctly on the launcher, but it appears that it isn't. I haven't played in a bit, so it may be a new bug, but it's definitely unintended.
  4. iron71

iron71 Member

I've had that bug with the rocket since early Beta... I'm surprised no one has done anything about it :confused:
    christer1966, xankar and cmdandy like this.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I've had that bug for ever.
    christer1966 and cmdandy like this.
  6. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

yeah the bug is super annoying
    christer1966 likes this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

BTW you totally showed that they flip on take off :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

very nice list you put together.

I guess subconsciously to us it's "SOOOOO obviously will be fixed" that in the end we don't even bother to mention it. But we should. because nothing is obvious. and nothing is guaranteed.

good job.
    iron71 likes this.
  8. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This game could still use a huge amount of polish there is no doubt about that. I doubt however that we will see any major new effects being added so I guess we should hope for effective small tweaks and maybe a few new animations? I'd be surprised to see any new non-commander models added to the game. I'll settle for extensive UI and gameplay optimization as priority one.
  9. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

The wrong-mounted narwhal gun wasn´t fixed either...
    @Z3K0N15: Do you really want that "Planet is DOOOMED"-Effect back? There were multiple reasons why Uber decided to don´t have total planet annihilations with a little asteroid!
    Regarding that rocket: It doesn´t look like that rocket has actually made it´s way in the game due to the fact that the Orbital stretched goal was hit before development startet. I guess that CommanderRocket was only a solution to avoid having an orbital layer---it would have been "one shot-one flight"!
    Last edited: November 10, 2014
  10. Ryfe

Ryfe New Member

Would definitely love to see the planetary collision effect polished up quite a bit, unfortunately I'm too lazy to provide ignorant feedback on it I'm sorrrrrrrrry.
  11. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Well, can you at least give us some good feedback then, if you don't want to give us ignorant feeback?
  12. r0ck1t

r0ck1t Active Member

Yeah, I completely understand about being underwhelmed with this game.

Don't get me wrong, it's a still solid game and a worthy progression from TA and SupCom, but every time I finish a battle I'm always left a little frustrated with how disorganized and unfinished many things seem to be. In addition, there are numerous bugs that drive me crazy. For example, I was on a metal planet and was trying to set up some catalysts to fire the annihilaser at the enemy planet after I evicted their forces off of mine. What was going to be a spectacular and satisfying finality to an awesome game of PA actually turned into a disappointing drawn out extra hour of tedium to upend the opposing player from the other world because my fabbers would only build 1 catalyst! I could not get all the other catalysts to construct because the game simply would not allow it to happen. Once that was no longer an option, I had to resort to attrition with orbital units that get simply decimated by OP anchors or a massive gaggle of avengers. Of course then there is the nuclear option, but if I have all these other wonderful ways to go out in glorious victory, why do I always have to resort to nukes simply because other options are either not available because of bugs or a practically impossible late-game "D-day" invasion of another planet? Why when I issue orders to my units to do something I have to tell them multiple times!

Guys, I've been a PA backer from the beginning. I watched the kickstarter counter for those two weeks in anxious anticipation of what I knew had so much potential as it surpassed every milestone. I dropped a hefty dime on this project because I knew how awesome this game could have been; the sky was the limit, literally and figuratively. However, every time I look at early concepts of the game in the Art Book that I received as part of my reward for backing PA, I cannot help but feel ripped off. The terrain is especially underwhelming. The terrain is supposed to be part of the strategic experience.. so why does TA have more to offer in this area than PA?

I hate to just complain about things without making suggestions on how to fix them, but after months of playing this game from alpha to gamma to release, I feel that I should voice my opinion on the matter. It's not to be critical of Uber, but I get so sick of gimmicky games these days. We got enough of that. You promised awesome. Please, give us AWESOME!
    raphamart likes this.
  13. Ryfe

Ryfe New Member

Unfortunately the best I can come up with is having the colliding planets actually merge (unsure if the engine is capable of doing this), and then the explosion effect triggering. I doubt it's worth the effort though to go that far, but a shock-wave creeping across the planet from the impact site (similar to the nuclear explosion effect perhaps), and having the planet fragments left over from the explosion not actually dissipating would be quite nice.

This is coming from someone entirely ignorant as to what would happen if one celestial body collided with another, and the current workload of Uber Ent, and the engines limitations/full capabilities. In fact I'm actually having trouble recalling what the planetary smash effect even looks like, it's been quite a while since I've used halleys in a game.