[WIP][Server] Orbital Warfare Overhaul

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by emraldis, August 13, 2014.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Started work on the Anti Orbital Lance/Railgun a few days ago and thought I should share the WIP as I have not posted anything model related in quite a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also here's a full 3D view of the model so far.
    https://sketchfab.com/models/2735e92b48fb4d6fac9733678dfb04dd

EDIT:
    As usual any feedback is appreciated.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Looking awesome! How does it turn about the base though? ;)
  3. Nicb1

Here's an example of how it rotates.
    [​IMG]

Glad you're liking it so far.
  4. emraldis

looks like it's missing a stand or something to rotate on... IDK Maybe I'm just not looking at it right.
  5. Nicb1

Ok I fixed up the base so that the rotating point looks a bit better.
    [​IMG]
  6. christer1966

christer1966 Member

What would you guys think about an orbit to ground kamikaze fighter. It could fly around in the orbital layer then would dive down and bombard the surface, sacrificing themselves for the greater good. Sort of like a boom, but in space.
  7. planetarystrategist

planetarystrategist New Member

Could you have T2 Fighter, which:
    • is built in T2 air factory
    • has ability to go but not fire on orbital layer
    • could move to another planet
    • could land on another planets airspace
    • have stats similar to T1 fighter
    • be significantly more expensive than T1 fighter
    • could transport units
    This unit could work as endgame orbital transport and important in making invasions to other planets. It could transport small armies quickly and give them airsupport, thus making cracking other planets easier. This would make Land and Air dynamics between planets more dynamic. Also the possibility of "forced landing" which we have wanted from Unit Cannon could be performed.

Still, AA and T1 fighters could work as a counter, becouse T2 fighter could only shoot air and its stats would be that of T1. Also becouse it is T2, means that is is too expensive to be used alone as "all situations solution". I would at least like to see this type of solution be experimented on.
    Nightovizard likes this.
  8. Nightovizard

Nightovizard Member

Its looking pretty good, maybe the barrel is the only thing that could be changed:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/revamp-mod/images/mavor-mk-iii-in-game#imagebox

Since its an antiorbital cannon you could make that the cannon it is facing the orbit by default, like in the image, this Would allow you to make a larger cannon barrel.

It also should be able to be in a vertical 90 degrees position, so it can shoot ships that are just above it, it it only gets to 70-80 degrees like in the image, it might have a blind spot.
    Last edited: November 5, 2014
  9. emraldis

Our idea is moreso a T2 suborbital fighter, IE exactly what you describe, except it can't transport units and can't move between planets, but can fire in the orbital layer.
  10. Nicb1

Hmm, I'll take a look at attempting to integrate the design of the Mavor 3 from the mod you linked. Will post an image if I feel happy with the way it turns out. Been following that mod for ages and cant believe that I didnt see the mavor 3.

I can't guarantee that the next model will be included in the mod, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
  11. Nicb1

So redid the Anti Orbital Lance. Not sure which model I'll go with yet, although the newer one seems to be more practical and may work out better.
    Anyway I would like to hear from you guys whether you prefer the new or the old variation.

Old:
    [​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    I will most likely put a bit more detail into the new model although it wont be much of a change from this screenshot.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Add a big bolt/nut to the sides and connect it to the cannon's bone so it turns with it. That helps make weapons look more real rather than floaty. At least in PA. :p

Then add a bunch of random cubes. <:
  13. keterei

keterei Active Member

It looks cool, but wouldn't it need to shoot at a 90 degree angle, directly into the sky, in order to hit targets in space? Currently, it looks like the turret can only reach about 30 or 40 degrees high, since the back end would hit the base. Here's a simple solution; raise the pivot points for the turret's Y axis (up down) enough so that the back of the cannon can rotate to an entirely 90 degree angle, with the back being within the walls of the pivots when it's pointing directly into the sky. Easy. You might have to shave the sides a tad to fit within though.

Edit: Now, after seeing the two versions, I like the first one (in the post I replied to) more.

And bolts/nuts look tacky.
    Last edited: November 6, 2014
  14. Nightovizard

Nightovizard Member

Both look awesome, but the turret rotation of the new one seems more practical, so I would go with the new model. But it would need some edits, for modifications the suggestions that squishypon3 posted are a good reference.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/revamp-mod/images/mavor-mk-3#imagebox

In my opinion, the barrel and turret rotation/movement of the new model is awesome, but still the overall hull of the old model looks more appealing, so I would place the barrel of the new model into the old model, and I would increase the aiming degrees of the turret up to 90 degrees like in the new model.

and for the antimissile turret (which is n ingame placeholder now) I would say:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/revamp-mod/images/uef-t3-pd-mk-3#imageboxYeah, sure that a giant gatling gun would do the job.
    Last edited: November 6, 2014
  15. emraldis

Honestly, I feel like the old one fits better with PA's style, while the new one is cool, after thinking about it, I prefer the old one...
    Antiglow likes this.
  16. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Yes I like the old one better too. maybe the old one's base and chamber with the railgun/barrel of the new one would look best.

Also I honestly think this should be combined with ModX to make the ultimate mod. ModX has some awesome ground changes and expansion, this mod has amazing orbital changes, combine the two and you would have a complete PA expansion/overhaul mod. if that happened I probably would not play un-modded PA ever again. :rolleyes:
  17. emraldis

We're working on it! @mered4 hasn't officially responded yet though, only hints at wanting to, and trying to find reasons as to why he would go about breaking his own rules.
    mered4 and Antiglow like this.
  18. emraldis

A sneek peek at what's to come in the next patch!
    2014-11-06_00009.jpg
    optimi likes this.
  19. emraldis

See!? All I get from @mered4 are non-committal "likes" on my posts! :p

In other news, a bunch of you guys were all like "BRUH! WE WANTS TEH ION CANNONZ"

and so after a bit of collaboration with the Absolutely AWESOME @Alpha2546 We give you:
    2014-11-06_00028.jpg
    TEH ION CANNONZ!!!!1!1!!1

NOTE: not yet ingame. but it will be
    [​IMG]
    optimi, komandorcliff, Nicb1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Nicb1

Ok I've taken everyones feedback into consideration and have attempted to combine the designs of the old and the new versions.
    The base of the model will definitely change a bit before it's added to the mod. Let me know if you guys are happy with the actual gun design on this one.
    I couldn't really use the old model (as mentioned by @Keterei) due to the model itself clipping when pointing directly upwards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    This was a quick and slightly dodgy job, so I will be refining it if you guys are happy with this concept.
    Last edited: November 7, 2014
    Nightovizard and christer1966 like this.