How would you feel about a second PA kickstarter?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 21, 2014.

?

whould you back and extension PA, addon Pack, or prolongation?

1. Hell yeah!

63.0%
  2. **** no!

37.0%
  1. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

General opinion: I don´t wanna have something like other factions in PA.
    Just like I don´t wanna get unlimited Experimentals, Shields :)eek:), CommanderUpgrades :)eek::eek:) or even UnitUpgrades :)eek::eek::eek:) included in this game.
    Those are elements that should be included in another game; a standalone game with a seperate setting---in other words: Something like HumanResources... :(:(:(

Anyways: I´d support everything that contributes to the original PA concept! It´s a great game lacking a little more polishment; I enjoy nearly every ShareArmy match I play in Coop with my premates. I just want that this 80+Title evolves into a definitive 95-Title! :D
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's the best way to not achieve that, actually. Having a parallel project doesn't hurt PA, and if that project also uses the PA engine, then they'll benefit each other. Denying Uber funding has only one outcome: less work done on PA.
    snierke, Bsport, elodea and 7 others like this.
  3. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

You don't really even need to go to kickstarter for something like this.

If anything, just announce an expansion pack, then sell pre-orders like every other company does. Pretty crappy way of doing it, but if they need the dev money up front that's the way to go.
  4. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

And why not? Its proof that a game can be saved.
  5. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

so true...
  6. castortroy99

castortroy99 New Member

Having played over 100 hours in the game I do like it however it's not what I envisioned when I backed the project. There is still a lot to be done. Here's my list of what I want to see.

- Better optimization. I can barely play against 3 ai because the slowdown is so immense.
    - Planet biomes do NOT look like the concept art. Most planets are super flat and boring. I want more interesting features, some mountains, crags, elevation. I'm not saying it would be easy to implement but I would like to see it. The planets have the potential to look much cooler than they are. The overall art is a little too basic, but that's a complaint mainly for the entire game.

Those are my main complaints, optimization and the planets. I feel like the planets are what the game is about so they should look incredible but all in all most are flat and boring. The tropical planets should have rivers that you can't pass with ground needing an engineer to build bridges or something.

It would be a slap in the face to do another kickstarter. This game has the potential to be one of the best RTS's ever made but it's not there yet. As basic as SupCom2 was, it still felt like it had more polish than this game.
    GoodOak and Twinstar like this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

why? supcom had much more money to work with. Supcom two was made off the supcom engine.

strictly speaking comparing PA this way is unfair.
  8. wowylied

wowylied Member

Hell yeah i would back it !
  9. foerest

foerest Member

just make it f2p give everyone who has game already all the commanders, new players come, see cool commanders want to get some themselves, 1 billion within 1-2 years funded. gg wp
    elodea, Twinstar and cola_colin like this.
  10. tatsujb

you can't assume that it being free to play would bring that many new players. plus this economic model forces the publishers (the devs in this case) to introduce p2w elements to keep the cash flowing in.

and here comes the eternal argument of "but not necessarily! people make plenty of money on cosmetics alone!" and I tell you that model can't be a success with pa.

at least I personally don't believe so.
  11. castortroy99

castortroy99 New Member

I'm not happy with where the game is right now which is why I wouldn't want another kickstarter. Performance is not good and terrain is not what was promised.

Anyways, f2p doesn't have to be pay to win. Dota 2 does it the best way, you get everything in the game and only cosmetics are paid for. I'd be ok with free to play if it meant them not abandoning the game and being able to put more money into it to keep improving it. PA has huge potential but it isn't there yet. You could sell commanders which people would buy if they like the game because they got it for free. You could also sell better looking buildings skins. Something that wouldn't ruin the current art but add to it. Think a tiger stripe type of skin over buildings. It would be something that would differentiate your army from someone else's but it wouldn't ruin the ability to see what color the building is or what the building is. People like to be different in games and so if they can pay to have something cool they will do it if the game is good. If PA sales are dropping dramatically f2p is the way to go. You either put out a huge update and do a sales push or you keep it as is or you go f2p.

I want this game to keep improving and I kept hearing "games as a service" well that's nice to hear but you also need money to support the game and if no one is buying this game won't get anymore updates.

These are just some ideas. I'm not a game developer and don't claim to be, but this is what I think.
  12. tatsujb

lol why do I bother writing stuff nobody reads it anyways.
  13. elodea

elodea Post Master General

You would think people already learnt this from the HR failure and subsequent staff redunancies at uber....

Not working on a parallel game hurts PA plain and simple. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a troll
    pieman2906 and Bsport like this.
  14. foerest

foerest Member

why not? I already have seen plenty of people buy commanders? and yah there has to be no pay to win.. like dota u can`t buy anything to help u win, and as for the players coming yes... it is f2p, people will download it again look at dota/league, just advertise a little brah, f2p = many players, top streamed/played games atm, LOL f2p, DOTA2 f2p, Hearthstone f2p, anyways just a suggestion, but it would work, and both side the players and game creators would profit and we can all be happy and marry and build dox
  15. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

Here is an idea, make a good product. Indie developers have been producing good games, since games were invented. If the revenue generated from your current products is not enough to keep you solvent, you need to re-examine your business model. Kick starter is not a welfare program. That said, UBER has not implied that they intend to launch another PA kick starter.
  16. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

Whatever Uber is planning as the next project, after the fail of HR, they got to be really careful about what, how and when to issue the announcement. The most important thing is to not screw up with the current PA community. Uber did a great job making people mad (bad communication, promised goals, early backer commanders, 1.0 release with missing goals and at last the timing of HR and in my opinion, the statements in the HR video, like they "delivered" with PA)

Don't get me wrong. I like the Uber guys and I would pay for an addon or something similar, but Uber really needs to make sure to get the things done in PA first (the remaining promised goals from the initial Kickstarter). You know, we as the clients should be satisfied and say "Uber delivered with PA". If they screw up big again, I am afraid they will lose a big part of supporters and then they can close their offices.

Besides the layoffs, things are going way better now then a few weeks back and people are getting their trust back in Uber. Hopefully it will stay this way.
    Last edited: November 5, 2014
    tatsujb and raphamart like this.
  17. halosas

halosas Member

Hmm still waiting for what is missing in kick-starter video I backed 1st.
  18. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Since i pay +100 euros to a unfinish game i will give 0 euros since i have already credits..
    I dont think they are crasy to make a PA2 after this epic........
  19. darkmecha

darkmecha Member

Squishy I wasn't talking about a voice chat I was talking about a game lobby like other RTS (most) where you can see other players online etc... and the chat is typed. This game is maddening in the fact that there may be 200 other players with me online checking out a game list that has 3 games all of them locked.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

We actually discussed that at one point. Uber said they again were afraid of scaring off people by them coming on and seeing a dirty chat or something.

So I agree with that? Naaaah... But that's they're explanation.