Wargaming acquired TA IP.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by ucsgolan, July 21, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Atari didn't pay money for it specifically; they inherited it.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@theseeker2

lol

Wargaming made world of tanks, world of planes, world of warships, three F2P games

Ergo...

TA2 will be F2P.

no. >=< no it won't. (actually I have no guarantee, but I just have an educated guess)
  3. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

There are lots of people who play the game, but there are still loads of people who whine about pay2win and 'gold shells op pls nerf'. It's gotten better since premium shells no longer need to be purchased with gold, but the point still stands. In an RTS game, you simply cannot afford to have ANY hint of pay2win. Unlike world of tanks, where there are 30 players in a match and one person firing gold doesn't matter much, individual player advantages matter a lot more when playing 1v1s in an RTS.

We can thus infer that IF they decide to develop a TA2, it will not be free to play.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

they made a ton of $ with f2p, but they made normal RTS before and I think I somewhere read that they did like doing that.
  5. theseeker2

Aye, a 'normal' model would work fine. As long as there are no microtransactions, they may be able to pull it off. They could make an MMO out of it, just not a free one.
  6. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

You guys are funny. World of Tanks makes hundreds of millions of dollars per year. They made an estimated $372,000,000 in 2013 alone. That number is only getting larger, not smaller. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...of-legends-2013-revenue-topped-USD600m-report

Assuming Wargaming did TA2 you can estimate that they would spend at least 3 years and $20,000,000 to make it. The upper limit for a flat price RTS is probably around a million copies sold. Take into account sales, retail cut, digital distribution platform cut, and they might be able to pull in around 25 million dollars per million copies sold. Maybe they knock it out the park and sell two million copies generating 50 million dollars of revenue. Assume that takes 3 years dev + 2 years selling and they've generated an average of $10,000,000 revenue per year. World of Tanks has been doing more than that per month every month since 2012. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...monthly-profits-hitting-double-digit-millions

Wargaming is a big company. They make big games that try to make big money. TA2 would be a niche title that makes niche money. Some devs would be thrilled to carve out a tiny niche to make themselves a tidy home. Wargaming is not one of those companies.

</crusher of dreams>
    BulletMagnet, MrTBSC, cdrkf and 7 others like this.
  7. tatsujb

8. cola_colin

And now explain why they actually bought the IP? Just for lolz?

EDIT:
    If you have a ton of money you actually tend to invest it into everything you can, just because you can. I mean look at what weird stuff google invests into xD
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. tatsujb

you're so mean. [​IMG]
    squishypon3 and Remy561 like this.
  10. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Just because you have the TA IP, doesn't mean you have to make another RTS...
  11. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Strangely I would prefer some kind of Total Annihilation HD than some TA2.
    What do I mean by Total Annihiliation HD is to redo TA with the same feeling with beautiful crispy pre-rendered terrain. Keep, the mix of 2d terrain and 3d units with better models, balance tweak, gui improvement ala zero-k and awesome matchmaking.
    In short, keep unimpressive goals but polish it to perfection.

( and release a complete editor with modding capabilities to win the world )
  12. tatsujb

13. tatsujb

oh an listening to the postcast more (0:33:36) you can tell TA2 is gonna be F2P since chris seems pretty much in love with the F2P model now.
  14. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I was saying they could make a different type of game such as a MOBA or something similar to World of Tanks but with robots. (not that I'd necessarily want that, but everybody seems to automatically assume its another RTS)
  15. tatsujb

@krakanu listen to the podcast. it's definitely gonna be an RTS. he uses this metaphor that he creates at the beginning of the podcast about him going all out nerd. 0:2:40 -the "punching through concrete wall metaphor", 0:10:20 until "nerdy", 0:28:32 until 0:31:15,
    Last edited: November 3, 2014
  16. cola_colin

If I remember correctly he was not hired to make decisions like that.
  17. tatsujb

all I'm saying is he's being really compliant and rather happy about it, I'm perfectly aware of his current position.
  18. theseeker2

when you make $370+ million a year, you pretty much can drop a few hundred thousand dollars for kicks
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Not that publishers are keen on doing it for "kicks".
  20. cola_colin

Might as well continue and drop 50M on a TA2 for kicks
    tollman and tatsujb like this.