Any of y'all nerds playing Evolve?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by kvalheim, November 2, 2014.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I got a key for the Alpha from my LAN society yesterday, and played with Madhaha until the wee hours of the morning. Curious to hear what other people's thoughts are on it.
    Frankly I've been enjoying it a fair bit - the hunters a lot more than the Goliath, because it just feels like you have more options. Monster is fun and involves a nice mix of sneaking around and feeding then slamming people's faces, but his combat just feels wild and loose.
    Loving playing medic though, and while the jetpacks feel very limited there's still a nice amount of verticality to it.

My only main concern though is I feel they -need- to find ways to keep people in longer. It's a very short-burst game in smallish maps and short rounds - and that one mode is the only mode, with limited hunter and monster classes. It feels a lot like it could end up a game that people play a lot for a few weeks then never touch again, and the progression system they put in is too grindy to really alleviate that.

Anyway if anyone wants to play, hit me up.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

i got the big alpha cause i own XCOM. It's unplayable for me. Extremely laggy, horrible performance. and yes i set everything down to low, inlcuding the stuff in advanced graphics options.

As a bonus, it looks about as good as Counterstrike Source on those graphics levels. And yet it plays like ****
  3. kvalheim

Weird, it runs decently at low for me. Defaulted to high and was shoddy.

That's the magic of CryEngine! Everything looks the same and runs like ***, unless you're CryTek!"
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I read the title and knew it was you @kvalheim I haven't played it, what's it about? Whatever it is medic would probably be my favorite class/whatever too. :p

[​IMG]
  5. kvalheim

It's Left 4 Dead Versus Mode x Team Fortress x Godzilla x Titanfall
  6. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

I got a key, but it was going to take too long to download so just left it :( also, exams. :'(
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I got alpha access with XCOM. Waiting for a friend to download it so I can try it out. Though I did play it for about a minute.

Not a fan of how you can't change graphics options in-game. And quitting early puts a delay on how soon you can join a game again. So you can't really benchmark without the game punishing you.

It's an alpha test that inhibits alpha testers from testing.
  8. kvalheim

Yeah, there's a lot of small quality-of-life issues with the game like that, and the faaar too many load screens
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Yeah the loading times were very long, it was also very dark and quite confusing initially. They also seem to only rarely play the tutorial videos so you know how to play the characters. Never got to play the monster because I imagine everyone selects it as first choice. Biggest issue was I had to get a third party program just to lock my mouse cursor to my first monitor. I guess it is alpha but its only a couple months from release. Sort of thing I might play for free now but certainly cant imagine ever paying money for.
  10. Geers

Just played a few games. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

Load times are far too long (it's like playing on console *shudder*). Didn't have any visibility issues though.

Performance is horrible, had to turn the preset to low (which doesn't really look bad anyway).
  11. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

I've only played it for 4 hours, but it feels like I've played it for longer. Does anyone else get that feeling?
    Regardless, I find it quite fun. I enjoy class/role based games that involve using teamwork and I also enjoy games where you have a lot of freedom with your movement.
    It's really exhilarating to track down and inevitably chase the monster around the map, but chasing and tracking can quite easily grind to a halt if the Monster player is smart by minimizing his tracks, being cautious of birds, sneaking around and reducing his noise etc...
    Throwing up the dome to create an illegal cage match is also quite fun, and what I look forward to the most. It essentially creates an arena for the Hunters and the Monster to duke it out; and the arenas will rarely be the same (Unless you're fighting at the power node or whatever it's called.)

Waiting times need to be cut down quite a bit, I hope there's a more in-depth lobby system or browser in the final release. It also needs a lot of optimizing, I can only play at low when I should be able to play at medium or high graphics settings.

There also needs to be more variety to it instead of just constantly hunting down the same few monsters with the same few hunters. Whether that be from creating new game modes, adding 10 monsters and 40 different hunters to play as, maps with dynamic layouts... there's a lot of things that need to be done; and even when they finish their projected goal of having the game be polished, optimized, and having only 3 Monsters (4 if you pre-order), it doesn't justify its price tag.

They've got something good, there just needs to be more of it.

Also Lazarus is the best Medic, Val's slowing and painting the Monster is handy; but her heal kinda weak and not nearly as good in comparison to Lazarus being able to resurrect team mates with no penalties, sneak around while invisible, and cover the Monster in weak spots in just a few seconds.

Edit: I gave the Kraken a shot. It is ridiculously powerful. The Hunters could never catch me because I could literally just fly away quite quickly. When I managed to get to Level 3 and we eventually got down to the big fight, they all died somehow. I'm not sure how, I just kept spamming all its spells and aiming in their general direction; but it worked.
    Last edited: November 3, 2014
  12. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

The Alpha got extended to Tuesday night. Yay!

I've been playing it alot. Mostly Saturday and Sunday. It is so much more fun when you are with a team that communicates.

I love fighting Goliath, I feel he is fairly balanced. Kraken on the other hand. I think I only ever beat it once. Maybe twice. Compared to the dozens of times he murdered my team.
  13. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Well fml. I stopped downloading because I didn't think id make it before it expired.
  14. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

I played it like 6 hours. At normal settings it worked OK.
    I've seen other released games much less polished than this alpha (BF4, SMNC and PA).
    I'm impressed with the alpha quality.

The ambience is really cool, you feel like you are on unknown territory trying to chase down a huge monster.
    There will be 12 hunters (3 of each class),but only 4 monsters. I think hunters number is OK, monsters are very few.
    I thought playing as monster will be boring, but it isn't. It's fun.
    The basic medic is a weird mix of sniper and medic, I don't really get it. Heal beam has a really long range.

It's an interesting game, but after some fiascos I had lately I won't buy it full price. I'd wait to the 20/25 USD sale point. I had fun on every match I played, that's hard to say on many MP games.
  15. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

16. Geers

17. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Having played both the BF4 beta and PA, i strongly disagree. But thisseems to be a per-computer thing.
  18. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

I would not really call this an Alpha. Feels like a Beta.
    If I had to guess, this is for balance testing.
  19. kvalheim

Yeah, but the words don't hold meaning anymore. Hell, Heroes of the Storm STILL calls itself an alpha and it's more polished that a lot of finished games. And whenever I've done QA (once professionally, once for coursework) they didn't even use either of the terms, it was just a "not quite ready final/release"
  20. Geers

Whatever it is, let's not call it a "test" because a test doesn't have locked characters and stuff in it.
  21. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

I don't think so! You can't just copy some object and use it without permission, copyright issues.

They gave you permission to do so, so you can freely 3D Print it.
    Also they released the .STL format, ready for 3D Print. You know that sometimes converting formats can be a PITA.