The Latest From Star Citizen (2.6, Star Marine, and More!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 16, 2014.

1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

My freelancer does not look nearly as nice as this :( that looks quite sexy! Any mods for that?
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

The burgers in the ads always look perfect too ;).

I'm not sure what you want a mod for, but the game's in pre-alpha. Mods very probably don't exist (although there will be mod support).
  3. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Oh I know that -_- just from the way you worded it made it sound like that was freelancer in that gif.
    But I like that when you jump your ship transforms into a different one, that is neat. /s
  4. Geers

It is a Freelancer...

What?
  5. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

God, this is awkward. I was thinking of the game freelancer :(
  6. Geers

OHHHHHH. Now I get it.
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

For me, Star Citizen has to better than singleplayer Freelancer was.

And to be honest, given my nostalgia goggles, that is going to be a HUGE undertaking.
  8. Geers

They're being very secretive about single player. All that's really known is your doing a military tour of duty in the UEN, it ties into the multiplayer (doing a tour of duty gives you UEE citizenship), some early missions involve being stationed on an Idris (which is why it was redesigned), and it'll be episodic.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
    Ctril+F and type Squadron 42 to see all relevant stretch goals.
  9. stormingkiwi

Yeah... and that secrecy is giving me the heebyjeebies.

The amazingness of Freelancer for me was the open-world singleplayer.

I'm also a bit skeptical about all the immersion stuff - you'd better be able to skip through stuff. Because while performing start-up checks for your virtual military fighter might be cool the first time, I doubt the same thrill will be experienced the hundredth time, the 10th time you go through the same level, or the thousandth time.

The amount of times I launched to space in Freelancer must have numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

/the same goes for all of planetside really. Being able to walk around would be cool, as a novelty... But well,

You know the Freelancer million credit per hour trade routes? The majority of the actual game takes place in space. The less time spent at ports of call, the better.
  10. Geers

I understand your.. heebyjeebyiness (that's a fun word). I don't think Squadron 42 will be like open-world(s) Freelancer-esque since you are assigned to a military unit so you won't be buggering off to get drunk in 30th century Beijing. But I think that they mentioned there will be an "offline" persistent universe and I know for sure there'll be private persistent universe servers and mod support.

I don't think there'll be a whole lot of "start-up checks". Take off and landing is automated so all you really have to do is sit in the cockpit and look at the pretty scenery or walk around your ship. The only reasons to be on the ground is to buy stuff. Even then it might not be essential thanks to that awesome looking MobiGlas stuff.

I can see the border control getting kind of tedious, but that reminds me: When they were being checked the border control clerk sounded bored out of his mind, as if he'd done it a million times before, as if it were his.. job. That's pretty nice work if you ask me. Little details like that are great.

Skip to 2:17 for MobiGlas.
    Last edited: October 19, 2014
  11. stormingkiwi

Yeah... well I thought at some point they'd said you could put the campaign on hold.. So cross fingers.

Exactly.

There was a cutscene in Freelancer too.

Escape to skip.

And again, buying stuff on the ground is easily done with a simple UI. . Immersion is cool, until it gets in the way of the game. Usability is better.
  12. Geers

Oh, yes you can skip the campaign and jump into the persistent universe, but that means you won't have UEE citizenship. Great for pirates I'm told, but... Well it's basically like living in the Roman empire without being a Roman.
  13. Geers

14. Geers

Also major control revamp:

And the studio behind the FPS portion of the game:

15. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I really hate FPS demo vids where they speak like that.

NOBODY speaks like that.

... maybe ARMA players
    Geers likes this.
  16. Geers

I know, it's pretty cringe-worthy. It just sounds really off.

Hopefully they'll do a rerecording like they did for the planetside demo. They also have a thingy at the Logitech booth at PAX, which I will be at in a matter of hours. So maybe I'll be able to see some more there.
  17. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

FIND OUT EVERYTHING! :D and pics?!

Also new patch is out, haven't had a chance to really give it a go yet though:( exams blah.

Them speaking irritated the **** out of me, it would have been so much better had they just been like "There's the *******! Shoot him in the porksword" or something to that effect. I suppose that was CR though, let's be "immersive" guys! Also, I would not be surprised if there will be quite a few people in the game doing that as there seem to be some hardcore role players in the community
  18. Geers

It was just a little recruiting office with codes for a free trial or something.

However they did have the latest Arena Commander at the Logitech booth. Which was great.

Here are the details for the updated controls:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14258-Arena-Commander-092-Released

Here's the PAX Aus stream:

Last edited: November 3, 2014
  19. Geers

I guess nobody really cares anymore but I'll give this thread one last shot before I leave it to die because this is really cool.

The dedicated exploration vessel, the Anvil Carrack, had its official reveal:

[​IMG]
    But that's not the cool part. The cool part is on the announcement page they put in a cool little choose-your-own-adventure game:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14323-Into-The-Unknown-A-Carrack-Her-Crew

Name your ship, your crew and off you go!

I ran out of fuel once and ate one of my crew while waiting for rescue. So that's fun.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@Geers I'm not sure if/when I'll get this (or can run this), but I like hearing your little updates. :)
    PhoneySpring646 and optimi like this.