Layoffs at Uber today?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zainny, October 29, 2014.

1. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Well if they did not, then they are just blatantly lying to us in the forums and in their communications about continuing to develop the game. Cause even if you are going to continue development with a smaller team, you can still wait for key features to be in place before u launch the release version. Is better to have a game selling a constant stream of copies in the early access phase, then to burn your IP with bad reviews by launching it prematurely, and have a spike in sales followed by a nosedive.

If they were going to launch HR kickstarter, they didn't have to have PA launched, having PA launched prematurely probably hurt more their kickstater then if it was still in early acess.
  2. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That is a nice way of putting it.
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Well, I think this is a difficult subject and very subjective. I think Uber does communicate very well, had some issues here and there, overall I think the people here got pampered too much. I am saying this, cause ultimately they did communicate a lot with us, other companies, even kickstarted games, they hardly communicate at all, no one has a problem with it. That the last weeks were a bit unlucky in that regard, yes, but certain things simply takes time and you do not want to release news about something that is not set in stone, like Jeremy coming to the team... Simply Jables being here shows how important it is for them that the game is a success... which I never doubted.
  4. sechastain

sechastain Member

So sorry to hear this. Flashbacks to Cavedog and Amen. Sad to see such talent and potential being broken up.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I really would like to know why so many think Uber are and/or have been lying to us? Wait for key features? Wait how long? If they can't wait that long what is the cut off point? Don't have work for a few concept artists and engineers anymore? Why not start a new project? Bad reviews? That's subjective. These are all questions you should be asking yourself. It's not as if Uber was like "We're done here next project." PA is an amazing game and if people fail to realize that I'm afriad there is really no other way to sway them.

People keep using this word "prematurely" as if it changes the state of release. Let me ask what different does the release phase make to the Early Access phase? In both phases (granted not during the entire EA phase) you can purchase PA from many different marketplaces both Digital and Physical copies. So does a freaking title of the build really make that much of a difference?
  6. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I agree I've seen plenty of dev's posting here, never forget one of the first post's I made got a comment from sorian and I was like...something cool is going here. :)

Been hooked ever since.
    EdWood likes this.
  7. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Ok bit of a misunderstanding here, I didn't say they were lying, I said that IF your statement were true then they would be liars (witch i don't think they are). It is your statement that underlies that they were lying and that was what i was pointing out.

"So does a freaking title of the build really make that much of a difference?"

Yes it REALLY DOES. Yes there is no difference if the game is released or not in the development process. But there is a difference in the PR process: a game that has the released stamp on it is subject to a much bigger scrutiny than one that is on early access. And bad reviews don't mean a game is bad, but they hurt sales for reasons i explained earlier. And that is why i said that it was a bad decision to release the game prematurely.
  8. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Sorry to see layoffs.
    I understand this kind of game probably doesn't have mass appeal, too much continuous thought, planning and concentration is required to play it.
    But I'm glad the game got made to the point it is, I've had many (too many probably) hours of fun and stress whooping *** and getting my own kicked.
    maxcomander likes this.
  9. maxcomander

I dunno my concentration level's are pretty abysmal, but I got me a gold tonight!! Gold rank cut out 400-198.jpg
    DeadStretch and cptconundrum like this.
  10. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm New Member

The world seems to want to kill the innovators and feed those who only iterate.

It sometimes takes a while, other game developers, out of utter lack of vision or talent, will introduce "new games" based on Ubers' vision. Only then will it be accepted by the finicky masses as fun and entertaining or cool.

I remember a saying from Japan... "The nail that stands out gets hammered down."
    Last edited: October 31, 2014
    cdrkf, EdWood, Nicb1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. maxcomander

I totally feeling the hammered down bit, I was a bit of an oddball at school, didn't quite fit the with norm. I guess that's why I get so defensive when people crowd up to pick on the "sticking out nail"
    Kryoclasm likes this.