What If Narwhals had Flak?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by LeadfootSlim, October 31, 2014.

1. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

A simple question. Have any balance mods explored what might happen if you give Narwhals flak?

Most people, I think, agree that naval needs a boost, but one of the consistent issues I see whenever I try naval on maps with lots of water - where navy should be a big element - is that people go for air instead, as they can cover more ground quickly. And Narwhals, the AA boat, are simply laughed at by comparison. Stingrays are purported to have terrifying missile capacity, but that requires surviving to T2 first...

So put flak guns on the Narwhal and force the enemy to get naval to beat naval. Who's laughing now, bombers? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?
    websterx01, tohron and Jaedrik like this.
  2. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

yes, absolutely
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

4. Dexodrill

Dexodrill New Member

I would like to see this tried and tested, but I support this idea until we can tell if its a good change and not an OP one :p I love naval but never get to use it with the air being so dominate on those water maps.
  5. tohron

tohron Active Member

Definitely seems like something that needs to be tried.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'll add it to my list of *things to look into for the mod*
    Murcanic likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If you mean yours, remember that game with all the narwahls? You can get a lot up to deter air in it. Stingray has AA don't it? Why not give it flak?
    mered4 likes this.
  8. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

Why not put a Flak Cannon on battleships? They're already a painful enough investment, and historical battleships served as excellent platforms for adding dozens of new AA guns.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Because then why have an AA ship? Dedicated anti-air should always trump something that's main purpose isn't anti-air. For example the battleship could instead have pot shot AA, as it's much less effective.
  10. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

A fair point.

So here are my current thoughts:

Double up the anti-aircraft missiles on the Narwhal. They're big and space-consuming, so they have a hard time concentrating enough fire on bomber swarms.

Give the Leviathan some anti-aircraft missiles too, because it's just sad if it can't shoot up at all.

Give the current Missile Ship Flak Cannons?

This avoids creating a new unit like the Archer flakship from TA. Which I think deserves a place in this game anyways...
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Just remember that my NavalRedux mod just gave the scout AA and the unit cheap so it at least has the cost effectiveness of land AA, and the narwahl flak and moved to t2. T2 naval should shut down bulk air, you should use naval against naval. Or at the least, use a lot of t2 bombers since they outrange flak (t1 aa-scout is fast enough to bumrush t2 bombers though)
  12. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

1) You guys are too radical to Narwhal)). I can tell you why this unit completely suck. Cuz as i see it has only 37.5 DPS for AA cannon.It's just...Nothing! Nothing for unit which 100-x slower than tortoise.75+ DPS for current Narwhal's cannon should give us another gameplay.

2) T2 naval has a big problems too. Why Leviathan has 400 range? Its mobile Holkins or "Battleship"? Decrease their weapon range to 240,add DPS,and make lower splash radius.(or change their Artillery cannons to Lasers?)

3)Stingray too expensive for its features.We can decrease their cost or change features.
    Increase Stingray's tactical missle range(from 180 to 400 lol) and decrease their Rate of Fire (1 shot every 8-10 seconds).

Stingray's AA weapon does't need in changes i think...

And idea add AA weapons to "battle" units like orca or leviathan is stupid. Its no way to balance.