Uber layoffs information

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 30, 2014.

1. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

You guys leaving is going to make me cry ;-;

Edit: @metabolical @BradNicholson I'll miss you guys too. I'll miss anybody who's leaving, though I don't know all of them yet.
  2. felipec

felipec Active Member

Reading what garat wrote brought sadness to my day :(
    squishypon3, Remy561 and stuart98 like this.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, poor guys. I hope they do still stick around on the forums. They'll need a new emblem/badge/whatever-it's-called, since they are not longer an "Uber Employee". I propose "Uber Protagonist" or "Uber Demigod"!
    Sorry for you guys. You are all very talented though, so I am confident you'll bounce back!
    Last edited: October 31, 2014
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Ditto. Sorian and masterdigital and pinbender and ptjergen I believe are all generally useful for feature development, so I would say they are safe. Scathis, Eka, Neutrino, Bgolus, and O are all founders so they only will be let go on closing the company.

EDIT: Well, I am completely wrong about keeping sorian, I guess nothing is set in stone.

They used to have orange badges for Uber that wasn't current staff IIRC for MNC.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Everyone who was let go are still useful, we would all rather have them back if we could, but that wasn't an option for us. :(
  6. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

?
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Turns out this misled me, and sorian is still in I think?
  8. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

I truly hope the AI designer wasnt let go before the AI is capable of even using gas planets...
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, he is. Blame GoodOak's rather peculiar sense of humour. That sort of started that rumour.
  10. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Hey come on now ... if you didn't see it on twitter, it isn't true.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

download (1).jpg
  12. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

then damn it, lets fix this!!!!!!!! start a funding drive for added content for PA or for anything, get back our friends that have been sadly let go.

im good for a $1000.00 by tomorrow night.:(
    rorschachphoenix and warrenkc like this.
  13. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

An all too sober reminder that making games isn't all fun and games. It's business. Yuck. Sucks to hear about you guys being layed off. Thank you for touching our lives when you did. Good memories.

PA will continue I'm sure, but being demoralized by the departure of some high profile employees, it leaves a corrosive cloud around the mechanical hearts of our commanders.

Best wishes to Garat, Brad, Metabolical, and others. You guys have one hell of a resume stuffer.
    Remy561 likes this.
  14. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Ya Jables shows some REAL promise...hopefully will survive, and have a comeback in PA popularity! and get those UBERZ back!
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

*THREAD CORRECTION*

Everyone that got laid off is just not getting paid to be Uber. Therefore, they are still Uber.
  16. christer1966

christer1966 Member

I think there should be commemorative commanders for the ex-employees, some of the funds could go to them or the people who are trying to get them jobs or something like that.
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I can't +1 or like this idea enough.
  18. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Man, most forum signatures are just esoteric bull****, but you really are a chivalrous Aussie! :eek:
    christer1966 likes this.
  19. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I cried. :(

I wonder what's going to happen to their employee forum badge - maybe they should give them a silver 'Uber Veteran' badge, so they still have something.

I predicted in my mind yesterday that Garat was one of them. (I'm such a sorcerer. I need to stop that.) So I guess we can say now: "The Cat Herder has left the building"

So sad for all the others, Meta & Garat, I will miss your playtests. As for Brad, I will miss you the most. Wish you all guys luck. This isn't the end, this is just a whole new beginning. :)
  20. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Well, it was bound to happen. The funds are all burnt, and after the launch PR disaster, it was already clear that Uber wouldn't be able to get funds for any other large project any time soon. Plus some unfortunate timing, like releasing offline mode for PA only almost a full week after the HR Kickstarter had started.

Sad to hear that it also caught @garat, even though I'm confident that the game is in good hands with @jables.

I'm not sure though what role @BradNicholson and @metabolical actually had inside Uber. I think Brad was hired purely as an community manager, but meta? Sales manager perhaps? Never appeared to be actually involved with development of PA in person.