Layoffs at Uber today?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zainny, October 29, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That whole "he bought a Ferrari at some point in time" doesn't have proof at all, has it? It is a bold accusation made by people out to find something they can complain about.
    Maybe there never was a Ferrari? Or there was one that has been sold recently to sustain more people at Uber? Who knows? I don't think it's fair to dig that deep. I might as well dig up some random comment you made somewhere and start trash talking you about it. That's really low.
    Nicb1, devoh, FSN1977 and 7 others like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Even when Uber is at its knees someone finds the need to kick them while they're down. It's sad, honestly.
    Nicb1, devoh, maxcomander and 2 others like this.
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I love the irony. When the PA Kickstarter came out, it was the only game of its kind at that time and still is, it is a breeze of fresh air. Everyone was happy that there is even the "opportunity" that a game like this is being developed.
    Uber stated from the very beginning that it will take time to develop, that it won't be a "classic release" and so on and forth. Now, they have delivered, we have a super unique cool RTS game, nothing I see coming from other developers soon at all. The game is here, not totally finished, but totally playable, still people complain about everything. Now, the company that had the guts to work with "fans" to develop a unique hardcore RTS is being criticized from all directions. A new Kickstarter is actively being boycotted and so on. Insane. Yes, lets get rid of Uber who tried to do something new, unique. I tell you what, there won't be another developer anytime soon trying something radical and bold and great in the foreseeable future. I hope I am wrong though. I hope PA will continue to be successful and become a modern classic. Rock on Uber!
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Not really. Especially the last 6 months I felt that it was more working against fans.
    ace63 and paulusss like this.
  5. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

A unique concept is one thing.
    A unique concept in an RTS ? Well much harder.
    RTS right now is pretty much mobas and sc2.

Age of Empires, Command and Conquer ...

So yeah the "classical" RTS is pretty much dead.
  6. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, for most people it doesn't matter if uber is going to keep working on the game, reviews are made on what is available at the time of launch, and they can't judge a game in what promises to deliver and yet by it's state when released. And reviews deeply impact game sales, since in the avalanche of new games in the market every day most consumers use them as reference when deciding to buy game.

That is why i said it was IMO a bad management decision to release the game with so many features missing, not because I don't believe they will come, but because I believe they will. If they had waited to have a more finished product on release they would have had much better reviews, witch would have help them sell more copies. Now they've set themselves up with a uphill battle, now they have to prove the game is good despite of the bad reviews.

They also bought a lot of animosity from the community just from plainly stopping to communicate with them.

So yeah, some really bad decisions that now are generating repercussions. It's sad that there is a human cost to these things, specially when the people that to foot the bill usually had nothing to do with the bad management.

I really hope the problems with the company aren't too deep, cause you have to make mistakes to learn. They might also come out of this a better company, cause if you are making the wrong decisions but have no repercussions you just keep doing what you doing, but when u are faced with failure it forces you to reevaluate things.
  7. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

What's the Ferrari comment about? I feel like I'm missing something.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'll PM you.
  9. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Man, people are weird. I'm not sure it deserves any more comment beyond that.
    Fr33Lancer, ooshr32, Nicb1 and 14 others like this.
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Sad news!

Anyway, you all innovated a genre in the industry where innovation was severely lacking. And despite what the naysayers will always say, i think those let go can genuinely feel proud of what they've created.

Awesome to hear that Sorian isn't gone though!
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

It is really a sad day :( Sorry guys.
  12. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I do understand why there's a lot of angst in the pc comunity these days.

Were constantly seeing much loved pc games dumbed down for console..or released looking like crap to paint consol vertions in a better light.

That said uber havnt done any of those things, pa is pc only.

I just don't get it, we should be holding up uber and saying this what we want more of.

Not nit picking them for whatever holes we can find.

rant over, sorry all :)
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

consoles still exist? what games are you playing? Definitely not enough RTS
  14. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

I hear people say this a lot these days, though I haven't really run into an instance where said game actually went to consoles. Though that might be because the main two I can think of off the top of my head where this was shouted the most were Rome 2 and Civ V. I'm not sure I can think of a recent PC game that migrated to console when it simplified. I think its more just "dumbed down" because they want to reach a theoretical "larger audience".

Well the Wii U at least isn't completely redundant with the PC.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. maxcomander

ha ha, good one... I do have an old 360 gathering dust.

Games I'm playing atm are Pa faf dow 2 coh 2 and a little bit bf4 here and there.
  16. squishypon3

I bought and xbone. :p
  17. maxcomander

Didn't Microsoft have a policy that games had to have certain features if developers wanted to release on their console? Any way weather its true or not, I think a lot of people have this impression.
    Also controls for consol have to be simpler due to controllers not having that many buttons.

Then there was the fiasco over watch dogs having its graphics setting's hobbled..

Also compare crysis 2 to crysis 1

oblvion having to choose between aa or bloom despite aa working fine if enabled in nvidea driver..

chopper flying in bf2 compared to bf3, I could go on..
    Last edited: October 31, 2014
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Go away.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

This assumes they had the ability to just "wait."
  20. squishypon3

Meh, people are overly against it because it's cool to do so. If I have the money and want to sit down, play some co-op halo, I'll do as I please. :p

Plus- kinect is pretty bad ***. ;)