Layoffs at Uber today?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zainny, October 29, 2014.

1. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I like all the new info and keeping us up to date, but personally I feel this is an internal matter really, we don't need to know every move Uber makes as a company, things happen, sadly people loose their jobs, its not really info we are entitled to in my opinion, it just sucks..... I think its sad that we live in a time where companies feel like they need to share every single piece of news that doesn't even concern the public all that much because of what feels like peer pressure on forums and blogs...... If you guys like to share thats okay, but don't feel obligated you need to guys.. loosing jobs can be a life altering thing especially if people have to move as well so....

love the Megabeth!! :D
    felipec likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Just because it's happened doesn't mean it's the majority.

And most of the time when stuff mentioned in passing in playtests is brought up by community members it's specifically mentioned as Uber considering, not as a confirmed feature.

Undoubtedly the majority of the stuff has been people talking about stuff that was once confirmed, offline/server/40 man games all at 1.0 being the easiest example.
  3. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

You don't improve if nobody tell you what is wrong. It's not meant to be fun, but it's necessary.
    The fact that people does it means that they care for the game (I won't comment on any other recent bad game, unless I have to review them).
    brianpurkiss and ace63 like this.
  4. duncane

duncane Active Member

I hope that if Uber looks like it's going to have to close down they consider a Pa expansion kickstarter and if that's not allowed how about some kind of pledge drive so PA keeps getting worked on? Are there web sites that handle pledge drives?
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Well what you can already do is buy a lot of commanders ;)
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Or buy the game for your friends. :D
    Kryoclasm likes this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think that's right, but a lot of people clearly either don't understand how to formulate positive and constructive critic or are plain out not really caring and just trolling.
    If you care for a game to be a success you should not go around telling everybody how horrible it is?!
    You should rather suggest improvements, especially ones that seem realistic.
  8. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

On the positive side, there are lots of really good review 's on steam know.

I'm thinking that we are helping by challenging some of these people, and jables super forum work is starting to pay off.
  9. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

A lot of the negative comments on that reddit, and most everywhere else talking about HR and Uber, are because people don't bother to get themselves informed.

$2.2 Million for PA, where did the money go?
    Uber abandons their games once the new one comes out.
    PA on Early Access was a ripoff.
    Etc...

They are so seated in their asinine line of thinking, anyone that tries to correct them them gets barraged as being a fanboy or flamed.
    Remy561, elodea, Fr33Lancer and 4 others like this.
  10. maxcomander

I'm tottally with you on that. Its can be quite deppressing at times. Still I am seeing small changes here and there which is good.
  11. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

I think Uber got a lot of criticism with the debacle at launch, there was no reason to launch the game in the state that it was, if they had just hold of until early 2015 they would probably have a much better game with better reviews that would have sold more copies for them.

And to be honest if was single player kind of guy (and most the people who bought the game are) i would be thoroughly disappointed by PA. Let's face it, galactic war is just not good, and you can only go so far with skirmishes.

There is no way of knowing WHY they did it, but the community warned them the game was not there yet, and they had to know there were important things missing.

IMO It was pure bad management, they either didn't have the funds to finish PA (or detected the funds wouldn't be enough), or didn't have work for part of the team. Neither was a good reason to launch the game in it's current state. They could have launched HR kickstarter, without releasing PA, and probably would have gotten less flak for it.
    Last edited: October 30, 2014
    Remy561, ooshr32, wilhelmvx and 3 others like this.
  12. maxcomander

You have quite a lot of assumptions in there, maybe your right but just as easily you could be wrong.

And just so you know, I lean towards single player...And I don't feel let down in any way by uber :) :)
  13. maxcomander

There's a big difference between constructive critisism, and just being negative.
    SXX and zaphodx like this.
  14. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

That you like it and other people do may very well be. But if you read the available reviews the worst graded ones were the ones that the reviewer focused on playing the single player aspect of the game and the better ones the multiplayer.

Also I did not made clear in the last paragraph that that was my opinion, just edited that. As i said earlier we just don't know why they launched the game so unfinished.
  15. maxcomander

That you like it and other people do may very well be. But if you read the available reviews the worst graded ones were the ones that the reviewer focused on playing the single player aspect of the game and the better ones the multiplayer.

Also I did not made clear in the last paragraph that that was my opinion, just edited that. As i said earlier we just don't know why they launched the game so unfinished.[/QUOTE]

while it may be true that uber released the the game not feature complete, in there defense, they never claimed it was. Neither did they ever state that single player was going to be a prominant feature. If people took the time to listen to uber, then things may have turned out very differently, but unfortunatly we do not live in that kind of a wourld.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This. The best way to support uber right now is to bring more people into the fold. Pick up a 4 pack on Steam and spread it to your friends. Organize team games with new players. Spread awareness about essential mods. And so on.
    Bsport and cptconundrum like this.
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

[Edit*] A general statement. Take this from someone who has been here awhile, maybe if PA wasn't a success devs. from the S/MNC team would have been laid off. Or at that time could they have been considered PA devs?

Food for thought
    Last edited: October 30, 2014
  18. maxcomander

Sorry all after reading my last post I am aware that it sounds negative, My initial intention was to be positive (steam reveiws seem to have turned around)

Note to self leave the defending of uber to those who have fully functionall brains...:)
  19. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

I'm not sure. It surely would be nice to have people support Uber's folks at this stage. I am afraid though, that it would make no difference. When I had employees, and we found ourselves in difficulties, I didn't pay myself two months in a row, to pay them. I did all I could to not have them missing the mean to pay their bills at home.

I did not go buying myself a Ferrari, leaving my folks in the rain.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Rrrgh.. I can't believe you'd bring this up, what he does with his own finances is his own business. If he feels he needs to let go of some employees, ththen that's his job, he's the boss. He pays the bills for the company, he's the owner of the company.

Plus that was a while ago, I'm not sure it's the same now.
    cwarner7264 likes this.