Some thoughts on balance

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 29, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Hey folks,

Over the last couple of weeks, we've noticed a jump in feedback on the current 1v1 meta. I'd like to take a second to talk about it.

Balancing games is a tricky thing, which I imagine is a sentiment our modders would agree with. If you pull one lever down or up to get a desired interaction or value, another lever will inevitably need to be either: (a) pulled alongside it, (b) yanked opposite of it or (c) catch on fire. It's a delicate process.

We're at this point where the balance, the current meta, and your opinions have mostly stabilized. This is a great climate to make changes. Most immediately, we’re exploring the 1v1 meta and looking into improving it. We’re not strictly talking about number adjustments here, but hitting the issues from many different angles, which we will be commenting on in a near future video update as well as forum post as soon as we have proven the ideas out on our side.

We’ve heard the feedback about naval as well, and we are looking at doing a comprehensive pass on the entire system. This includes not just balance changes, but many bug fixes as well.

My goal is to get concrete details as soon as I can, but rest assured that we're totally listening and appreciate the feedback. You play, you write, we hear you, and it is awesome. Thanks for taking the time!
  2. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Very much looking forward to a re-thought naval. You're gonna need to fix those subs.
    Twinstar likes this.
  3. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Good stuff, I look forward to trying the changes out :)

I think what many fail to appreciate is how close the current *land game* is to being balanced... and the closer it is to being correct... :p
  5. immorhys

immorhys New Member

One thing I think would be interesting, would be to monitor at server level, types and numbers of units being built. This would give an averaged overall look at balance, is one unit (Dox) being thrashed, are some units completely ignored.

Another thing I think works well with PA, due to the high unit numbers, is that you can tweak costs slightly to see how it affects the way people play. Say a 5 or 10% cost change would make a flood tactic slightly less useful, but not nerf the unit into being useless, just economically more even.
    websterx01 and emraldis like this.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

well, if naval is getting reworked, I'll hold off on doing it in Anti-Popcorn

can't wait to see what you guys come up with :)
  7. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Amazing stuff to hear! I really look forward to it! :)
  8. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Are there going to be any further changes to the unit roster? I mean different unit types, added or removed or even just tweaked? I'm not talking about speed of movement or fire rate, I'm talking about totally new units. Major changes like this would have big effects on the balance, so I'm assuming what we have now is it?

Edit: Without derailing this thread, and feel free to ignore this question if you think that is the best course of action... but can we safely assume that the unit cannon is no longer in the pipeline.
    Edit: Edit: Actually scratch that, it would be really nice if you could give us an update on the Unit Cannon and Asteroids.
    Last edited: October 30, 2014
    EdWood likes this.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It'll be interesting to see how you'll interact with feedback in the upcoming balance process.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. jables

jables Uber Employee

We did promise subs.. the plan is to get them in game. Will be a bit later in the timeline, but the goal is to have them playable in the future.
    dukyduke, jvickers, drz1 and 24 others like this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

So we're getting those giant sandworms right?
  12. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

That's good enough for me. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
  13. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Of course we will jables is the new Kwisatz Haderach...
    j4cko and Jaedrik like this.
  14. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Very exciting stuff! Thanks for the update.

This communication stuff is awesome.
    drz1, l30n64, Devak and 4 others like this.
  15. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

<3 Awesome update, especially on the naval side <3

I hope you guys work together with the big balance mods to get the most awesomeness out of everything ^^
  16. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

Plz nerf now.
  17. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

that reference tho

can we have dox riding sandworms pls
  18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I had to read through wikipedia about the Dune series to understand that one.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Most likes per post ever.

Also, thanks for naval mentioning.

Also, hope you for realz this time make some badass balance. I am not extremist here, but honestly some units are in terrible positions, mainly grenadiers and combat fabbers and all naval. Just tweaking them for start makes the game immensely more playable. Doing anything beyond that, is a super-combo-finish on this whole balance thing.
  20. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Bruh.

Read the book. Seriously. Like, the first three, then it goes down hill after that, but. . .

WHILE YOU'RE AT IT READ ISAAC ASIMOV
    I RECOMMEND FOUNDATION SERIES I JUST FINISHED IT IT'S REALLY GOOD PLS
    FOR THE LOVE OF SPACE YOU'RE IN A SCIENCE FICTION FORUM