On being kicked out of lobbies that you've just joined.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by portable, October 28, 2014.

1. portable

portable Active Member

The behavior is so bizarre. You join an open game, the host immediately screams profanities and clicks "kick", you get a confusing "Connection Lost" message and are booted to the main menu instead of back to the multiplayer menu.

Half of the problems with the flow are Uber's. Tell me I was removed from the game by the host and put me back into the multiplayer lobby.

Half of the problems are with the community. Use the !@#$@# password field for your private game.

We also need a Ladder of Shame for hosts that can't use the private game tools correctly.

I'll start.

[moderator: removed - no witch hunts please], for being a complete jackass host, you are hereby inducted into the Ladder of Shameful Hosting.
    Last edited by a moderator: October 28, 2014
  2. ninjadude501

ninjadude501 New Member

Just wanted to say this quick...
    I'm not sure a 'Ladder of Shame' is a good idea. It could be overused, and people who were actually good hosts might get put on it by the people that should be on it.
    That, and, passwords don't always work. It could be you have people you want to play with specifically, in which case you can use a password, but there can also be specific people you want to keep out, and otherwise you don't care. In which case, the only real option you have is to kick them if they join.
    Not intending to mini-mod or anything, just had a few concerns I wanted to state that were related to this post.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  3. portable

portable Active Member

Respectfully disagree, when you join a game, read "**** gtfo", and then are booted (sorry, "connection lost"), you deserve to go on a list.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i ask you to stop the namecalling immidiatly .. just because they kick you doesnt have to mean you have to denounce them on the whole forum ... doesnt make you any better imho ... we are not a community that just simply goes all lynchjustise over someone just because you had a bad experience ...
    he kicked and insulted you? report to uber and/or just put him on ignore and never think about him again ..
    Last edited by a moderator: October 28, 2014
    vyolin, Nicb1 and cptconundrum like this.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

How is that not caught by the profanity filter? @LennardF1989 ?
    squishypon3 and reptarking like this.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

LOL, the big C-word isn't blocked but the American version of arse is?

That's hilarious.
    squishypon3, optimi and cwarner7264 like this.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

A message stating you were kicked rather than your connection dropped would be nice.
    squishypon3 and zaphodx like this.
  8. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Was there a profanity filter iin the first place? :p
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

no because that would be profane in itself :p
  10. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Down with censorship! !!! There trying to help the man.... get em
  11. portable

portable Active Member

Subtext: Get a life.

Response: Right, right, calm down. See, I had no time to respond because as you well know being kicked immediately upon joining a lobby sends you back to the main menu. So chill. I'm not insulted by it, but it's shameful.

Yes, yes it does mean that. I want this ridiculous problem of being punted from lobbies to stop. The game needs to encourage proper use of the private game tools, and if it can't then consider this forum post as a cautionary tale to improve your gameplay. If you want to cover up misbehavior, do it with your children.

Probably the best response, I expected asterisks. But I propose that the forum software agrees with me that this is not a witch hunt, but an appropriate posting.

Oh, do you mean the in-game profanity filter? Is there such a thing? Maybe I don't want to read vitriolic garbage like that before being punted from a lobby. Is that what you're asking for @cwarner7264 ? Or are you just scoping your comments to this particular forum?

It would prevent quite a bit of confusion, especially if they added copy along the lines of "@breakdancer123 also kicked 4 other people today", for example.

Final Thoughts on This Matter:

I'm frustrated that my in-game experience is all cursing and punting and "connection lost, goto the main menu" penalties, but that coming to the forums results in in-group wagon circling and censorship and "sweep it under the rug and that's not what the community does".

Justify yourselves all you want, but we know that more people play the game than play the forum meta-game.
    Last edited: October 28, 2014
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I can see this thread getting locked, and buried pretty quickly....
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I was only limiting my response to the forum software, which filters out far less obscene words regularly. I'm not keen on in-game filters personally.

This thread in and of itself -- discussing the practice and possible solutions -- is fine, but compiling a list of users in the manner you proposed is not going to lead to anything positive, so I removed the username. Those sorts of lists are best kept private, so you know lobbies to avoid joining in future. If someone is doing something worthy of having their interaction with other players limited, Uber can take much more appropriate action, and they should be reported via the appropriate channels.
    MrTBSC and cptconundrum like this.
  14. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Fixed
    stuart98, portable and cwarner7264 like this.
  15. ninjadude501

ninjadude501 New Member

I understand your disagreement, but I wasn't talking about removing the list because we shouldn't go after those that actually did wrong (although I do believe we shouldn't), I was saying it was a bad idea because the good hosts could get put on it by the people that would actually go on the list.

In other words, good people could get put on the list by bad people.
  16. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Awww, you're no fun :p.