Unable (mostly) to start Galatic War

Discussion in 'Support!' started by jacobfriend, October 27, 2014.

1. jacobfriend

jacobfriend New Member

I am unable to start a Galatic War
    When I click to Single player > Galactic war I get a blank screen with the back, How to Play & Go To War buttons unresponsive.
    The Friends and Notification buttons are responsive.
    [​IMG]

From there I can use F5 until I get to the normal create war page but when I try to launch a game I get this blank page, on occasion the war may launch ~ 10% of the time at most, this seems random and starting with the same war setup conditions results different results.

The Friends and Notification buttons are still responsive.
    [​IMG]

From this blank screen I can F5 but it take me back to either the 1st screen shot blank page or to the create war page.

Also when I to get a game to launch if I save and exit the war is displated as an Active war but if I close the client and restart then the it is not displayed in the Active wars or Archived wars list, (both my lists are empty)

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 27, 2014
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

From you Coherent log:
    Apparently it cannot write to your AppData directory? That's really weird, since that supposed to be garanteed to be writable. According to your DxDiag.txt, you should still have 37.1 GB available on that disk, so it's not out of disk space at least. Maybe the database got corrupted? Could you try renaming "C:\Users\Jacob\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation" to "C:\Users\Jacob\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation.bak" (while PA is closed of course). This will give PA a fresh start, does that fix it?

That directory is where PA keeps all of the galactic wars, settings and what-not.
  3. jacobfriend

jacobfriend New Member

Just tried this, it does not fix things, and I can no longer get to the create war screen with F5.
  4. DeathByDenim

Bizarre. Well, you can undo it by deleting the new Planetary Annihilation directory and rename the .bak one back. Did you still get the "Failed to open LevelDB" error with the fresh start?
    jacobfriend likes this.
  5. jacobfriend

jacobfriend New Member

Yes.

Since this was a problem with wring to that drive I thought I would run a scan and repair on it, after doing this I have just been able to create several Galactic wars and have not had the problem occur once.

So it seems like problem solved, thanks for your help.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  6. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

You can also try just deleting ~\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\localstore\IndexedDB\ That is the actual directory where the galatic war data is stored.
  7. deathrage227

deathrage227 New Member

8. deathrage227

deathrage227 New Member

hey im having the same problem with it, i tried f5 but apperently i can f5 it til tomorrow and it wont do a thing,

you said scan and repair it, could you elaborate how and with what?
  9. DeathByDenim

Scan and repair is for corrupted hard drives (See here).

However, the more likely cause for a black screen in Galactic War is having mods installed that haven't been updated in a while. Have you ever had mods?
  10. deathrage227

deathrage227 New Member

yea i do have one or two mods

thing is, i tried to rename the planetary annihilation folder with the .bak, and it seems to work for now it just made a sort of restart and then vwalla i finally managed to start a galactic war and all the loadouts and options appeared as they should.
  11. DeathByDenim

Yeah, the renaming trick removes any traces of mods, but like you noticed it also completely resets everything. If you want, you can get all of your settings and any previous Galactic Wars back with the following steps:
    1. Delete the newly created "Planetary Annihilation".
    2. Rename "Planetary Annihilation.bak" back to "Planetary Annihilation".
    3. Go inside "Planetary Annihilation".
    4. Delete the folders "mods", "client_mods", and "server_mods".
    Of course that will delete the Galactic War you just started because that one was stored in the newly created "Planetary Annihilation" folder which was deleted at step 1.