Sound persists when Alt+Tab

Discussion in 'Support!' started by void2258, October 27, 2014.

1. void2258

void2258 Member

Sound keeps playing over everything even when the game is out of focus. It needs to silence the music and other effects (other than alerts about finding games, people joining games, etc.) when the game is out of focus. Otherwise it is impossible to leave the game open in the background while you wait for people to join/for the (upcoming) matchmaker to work, which means people are less able to play since they can't do ANYTHING other than have the game up.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Even if something like that implemented this need to be optional. For guys who using more than one monitor and sound off on focus loss not always a good idea.
    Remy561 and cptconundrum like this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

There is a key bind for toggling the music (ctrl+s I think?)

I would definitely not want the audio to mute itself whenever the window loses focus.
  4. void2258

void2258 Member

Everything but alerts should mute, just like any other game with a lobby.
  5. cptconundrum

Sorry, no. There is a keyboard shortcut for toggling the music which should be good enough for you. I guess you could ask for a mod hook to let the UI detect when the game loses focus; that would let a mod do what you are asking for. I think most of us don't want or need this feature though.
  6. void2258

void2258 Member

So you like listening to the same music loop over and over while you have it open for hours waiting for your friends to come online? I prefer to be able to watch a movie, look around the internet, or listen to other music instead while I wait. Right now the options are turn off everything or turn off the game. If I turn it off, I will not see my friends around so I get to play less.

Multiplayer games have this thing where they are not only on at the exact moment you want to play them. You want to be on more so people can message you and invite you to games, which they can't do if you aren't logged in when they are. Having the game be obnoxious in the background cuts down on players having the game open, which cuts down on people available to play.
  7. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

If you wait hours and hours for your friends to come online....That says something I think....
  8. cptconundrum

I don't think you read what I posted...

music.png

This is your second thread today that is easily solved by taking a quick look at the game's settings. I suggest you spend some time familiarizing yourself with the options that are available. Your keyboard shortcut for this is not likely to be the same as mine.
  9. void2258

void2258 Member

That turns off the music COMPLETELY. The options should not be all or nothing (also, you have to hit that every time you open the game, which becomes annoying). What exactly is the purpose of having the music play when you have alt+tabed out? If htere isn't a reason FOR the game to bother you when you are doing something else (notification sounds), then it shouldn't. And it should never require player intervention to make a program NOT annoy the player.
  10. cptconundrum

People with multiple monitors do not want the audio to mute itself automatically when they click on something in another screen. Twitch streamers don't want the music to mute when changing something in OBS. Other people want to keep the music running while they are waiting in the lobby and responding to forum posts.
  11. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I like the fact that it keeps playing, this way I know the game starts or that I have to react to incoming stuff ;)
  12. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

Why in Gods name would you want PA to Mute when out of focus.

Does a media player mute when out of focus, does your browser mute, does your alarm mute when your phone is in the SMS app?

NO PA SHOULD NOT MUTE WHEN OUT OF FOCUS

Although having that keyboard shortcut is nice, and an option to have no music in menu's might be handy as well
    Last edited: October 27, 2014
  13. void2258

void2258 Member

For the 900th time, NOT THE NOTIFICATION SOUNDS. THE MUSIC IN THE LOBBY.
  14. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

cptconundrum has told ya how to toggle the music. Problem solved.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Personally I've disabled ingame music since ages. If I want PA music I put the mp3s into my player and else I listen to other stuff. An option to mute on focus lost would be nice, but personally I don't need it. Also with 3 screens my PA constantly loses and gains focus when I am in a lobby, as I click outside of PA to i.e. chat, browse, etc, then click into PA to chat in the PA-lobby. PA muting itself would not help me, it would just be weird.

Also Windows offers an option to reduce the volume on per application basis. I guess somebody could write a script to do what you want automatically.

No, I hate it. Thus I have no music in PA, but use external sources anyway.