What was Galactic war's phase 2?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mjshorty, October 27, 2014.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Back then in the when, during early access uber was discussing galactic war and stated that *not quote on quote or anything but...* "Galactic war phase 2 was just to hard and complex, we are redoing it from the ground up with an easier method."

turns out that phase 3 method was a basic rouge-like that many call a joke
    Oh and out of base curiosity, what was phase 1?
    bradaz85 and Twinstar like this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I seriously doubt "phase 2" could have been any worse than what we currently have - which is next to nothing.
    Just my 2 cents on the topic.
    bradaz85 and Twinstar like this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Too complex can be just as bad. Watch that Spongebob episode where Spongebob and Patrick start off by playing a board game, which turns into climbing a coral, blowing bubbles, playing bingo, ect, all combined? Or, for the more mature audience, the Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode with the really complicated 500 page rulebook for that drinking game that literally seems to bounce all over the place?

Basically, it sounded like GW attempt 2 and 1 were like complex board games that decided battles with matches, but weren't functional in the sense of an RTS game. You say this is what you ask for, but do you really want a game, where you move on systems, to earn credits, to buy commanders, to pyle 6 commanders on a system, and move them against 4 enemy commanders, and every battle is just decided by "most commanders dedicated to a fight", and is thus a complicated risk and numbers shifting meta that has no skill in-combat involved?

I would like a more complex game in the gw turns, within reason that the matches still make sense.
  4. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

After the Kickstarter clip i was so jealous at galactic war, i thought of epic clan wars and huge scale events :cool: #cantwait
    But as we finally got it, I'm a little bit disappointed :(
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

To be clear the op is mixing things up.

There were a couple of previous attempts that uber scrapped. They have nothing to do with phases though...

Uber stated at the release of gw this is the first phase of a multi phase release.
    The next phase is multiplayer gw, which is what your thinking of, and as far as I'm aware it's still on the hit list.. @jables might know more?
  6. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

do they even still work on GW? I didnt hear any news on this for a long time
    Twinstar likes this.
  7. HUNDAR

HUNDAR New Member

still waiting for a proper turn based system
  8. friendlydog

friendlydog New Member

still waiting for save game in offline single player (including galactic war that is)
  9. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

You are speculating a lot there. I think a proper turn-based metagame where the enemy makes turns on it's own can add a lot of value without being overly complex. The problem you proposed is easily solvable - why not treat sub commanders as indivdual pieces on the board which can be moved on their own and are needed to defend against AI attacks (which would of course need to make turns on it's own)?
    You could even have certain types of commanders which are armed according to the cards you have found. There are endless possibilities which are far from over-complicated. The way GW is now is that even a 6 year old would get bored with the galactic map because it adds no value whatsoever since it is completely static.
    vyolin and bradaz85 like this.
  10. jables

jables Uber Employee

GW is still being worked on. I don't have a date for it yet though. We have a small team working on it, but are prioritizing Leaderboards and a few other things we haven't yet announced ahead of it (where the majority of the team is concentrating)
  11. spicyquesidilla

spicyquesidilla Active Member

What is it?! give us a hint!
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

i can direct you to this thread, while it did get off-topic and focused on G.W as a whole, there alot of people with interesting points, (including me, because my opinion is of course, awesome. :p) if you havent read the posts already o_O (though this "jables" seems very community friendly and tends to like reading anyways :))
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/who-has-won-galactic-war-on-absurd-difficulty.60924/