Current work update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 22, 2014.

?

Are these kind of posts useful? (thinking every two weeks or so to keep updates flowing)

1. yay, you are actually sharing info in a useful way (but I may have still left feedback below)

99.3%
  2. yeah this isn't so useful, and I have posted feedback below (please leave feedback below :) )

0.7%
  1. jables

jables Uber Employee

As soon as I know it's going to happen, I'll share it. Problem with that far ahead is, it may be looked at for a week, and scrapped. We do a lot of test runs experimenting with things.
    pieman2906, lafncow, ooshr32 and 2 others like this.
  2. steambirds

steambirds Member

Literally everybody ignored this post. :(
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Heh, no reply within 13 minutes = "Literally everybody ignored this post"?

And you can already play with those values using the server mods. There are already quite a few balance mods in the Mods subforum.
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

And it´s low-res anyways, both isn´t good! :D:D:D
    Of course not. But, as for me, it´s the only thing I can comment on in this case!
  5. lucidnightmare

lucidnightmare Member

Props on the more frequent updates.

On that note, if it becomes difficult to maintain a stream of meaningful updates (perhaps due surprise related secrecy), I suggest frequent superficial updates to placate the masses.

Take a look at the guys over at starbound

Simple posts that show comparatively little (people goofing off at work, funny glitches, Brad's glorious biceps) help reinforce the fact that you guys are alive, and at least give an illusion of productivity. ;)
  6. steambirds

steambirds Member

I do not know how to install mods for PA, and I'm talking about the vanilla balance anyway.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

What DeathByDenim meant is that it is very easy to make small changes to the game's balance and try it out for yourself.
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

But you said: "a special build of PA should be made where users can easily play with certain values like unit sight range, damage, metal/energy cost, health, etc.". That's *exactly* what server mods are.

EDIT: Doh, cptconundrum beat me to it.
  9. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Sweetness :)

Any word on Commander commissions when all teh major stuff is done like in our PMs?

And please tell me theres good news for the Zaazzaa Commander >-<
  10. jables

jables Uber Employee

We have someone talking to each person who has a commander being made. I'm not in that loop, but I know communication happens when needed, and they update when each phase is finished.
  11. HUNDAR

HUNDAR New Member

as someone stated before me, can you spare any informations regarding a proper turn system in the galactic war?
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

What exactly are "unit actions" in this case?
  13. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Awesome sauce :)

I hope they do Commissions when all the 1000 KS Commanders are done :) I got a crapton of cash to spend on my own commander, with lots of great inspiration material to use XD Heck, half of the work is done already XD
  14. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm New Member

This is good. Maybe you can have a developer blog with all the major players contribute a small paragraph on what they have been working on over the last two weeks and if possible add any interesting info about problems they have overcome; be it production, coding, AI or art. Put it all in one post. Call it a biweekly rundown?

BTW. Please make navel units smaller. I don't like the feeling that I'm playing with toy boats in a small bath tub.
    It was ok when I was 5, but not 40. :)
  15. whatgravitas

whatgravitas New Member

This is neat, I like it. I think the Kerbal Space Program team set a high standard with their weekly updates where every team member writes 2-3 sentences, but that's a very different team.

But it might be nice to perhaps expand on at least some bullet points a little bit. Nevertheless, the most important thing is, I think, having regular updates, it just reassures people.
    Kryoclasm likes this.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

At the same time it is also important to have big press pushes with major new updates, as Uber needs to make some PR stuff to get new players (customers) as well.
    pieman2906, squishypon3 and Kryoclasm like this.
  17. harrierx

harrierx Member

A little suggestion: Please consider making the search radius visible to the user and adding the option to voluntarily expand it on one or both ends in order to accelerate the matchmaking. When only a few people are playing it seems like a waste of time when two players have to wait several minutes to play against each other although both would be perfectly willing to play against a much better/worse ranked player.
    ooshr32 likes this.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

And in addition to that I think a feature that shows a notice "There is somebody of your skill level searching for a game right now" would be great as well. ;)
  19. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

I think he kind of suggested to have something like "Unit Database", where you can tweak the values directly in-game instead to having go through all json files individually. That would be neat, especially if it would be possible to save "balance profile" for local play (or even better, having a "sharing balance" mod :p).
    But AFAIK, writing stuff from inside the game ain't possible, right ?
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Loving this update!!! <3

Also really love that you said that things for early 2015 are being worked on, this shows that the game has lots of stuff planned ^^