Current work update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 22, 2014.

?

Are these kind of posts useful? (thinking every two weeks or so to keep updates flowing)

1. yay, you are actually sharing info in a useful way (but I may have still left feedback below)

99.3%
  2. yeah this isn't so useful, and I have posted feedback below (please leave feedback below :) )

0.7%
  1. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Are there more items to this list? I am under the impression that more modding support is on it's way. Did it get skipped from the list because it won't arrive in the near future?
  2. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Someone may have missclicked and voted it wasn't useful. :eek:
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@jables we have some very gripping questions here on the Uber forum :

1. multithreading.
    2. dox
    3. naval
    4. 40p (a.k.a. 40 players in one game)
    5. week-long matches
    6. skitter
    7. other balance issues
    8. orbital rework
    9. galactic war needs plastic surgery, it's ruined it's stature and now needs to be unrecognisable (a big change, a reboot)
    iron71 and raphamart like this.
  4. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Burn Them!!!
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You mean ANNIHILAZER THEM, right? :)
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I would assume that is the case, for example from what I understand there is supposed to be a server release step 2 that releases official dedicated servers. But yeah a clarification on this would be good. Otherwise you quickly get people complain that certain stuff is not being worked on, just because it is not on the list. Or you get people expect their pet feature is being developed on, even though it is not on the list, because "the list isn't exhaustive anyway"

EDIT:
    actually reading this again:

Makes me think that this is a list of features meant to be part of the next patch or so. So not a list of big features that definitely won't be in the next patch, but rather a list of stuff they want to get into the next update.
    Remy561 and Quitch like this.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

*cough* tatsujb *cough* ;)

But yeah, for example naval/dox balance was mentioned by jables as something that was being worked on. (See here). I think this list is just the big stuff.
    Remy561 likes this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@jables love the update :)

Any chance you could comment on server perf optimisation? There have been quite a few conversations going on about it and some input from you or the team would be great! I mean is there anything we as a community could do to help (upload profiles, replays, tests etc?).

Also the other hot topic is balance- lots of people with lots of ideas. Any way we could help with this (could we for example create and test our own balance changes and after testing them submit to you guys to try more officially in pte? It would need some organising I.e. set a specific goal like 'balance naval against air' or something, though I think many here would be happy to champion and manage such an exercise once we know what to do)?

P.s. sorry for wall of text, I was feeling inspired.... :)
  9. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Never understood what exactly that did other than prettier graphics.
  10. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

It gets rid of the jagged edges on objects on your screen that you'd see without it.
  11. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I really hope this becomes the kind of thing you keep up and do frequently, that would be really nice to see!

Also, just an idea, but maybe if you get an idea from the community or a community member specifically, maybe you could acknowledge them or something? Just to show that you have specifically listened to the community. IDK, not really neccecary, but might be a nice "personal" touch...
  12. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Thank you, this is helpful information. I think it's a shame that it's taken so long for something like this to occur, but still, it's a step in the right direction; Information is flowing from the developers to the community.

If I might suggest something: The opposite should also be a top priority; getting information about what the Community is excited for or wishes to see development on, to the developers.

Again, thank you for the information @jables.
    philoscience, ace63 and optimi like this.
  13. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

It's nice to see other forms of communication being tried out. I hope that this kind of thing can become both regular and frequent. Indeed, if we had been getting frequent and regular things like this earlier, then I would bet that the forums would be a much more interesting place now.
    optimi likes this.
  14. steambirds

steambirds Member

I personally think that with all of the discussion of balance going on, a special build of PA should be made where users can easily play with certain values like unit sight range, damage, metal/energy cost, health, etc. and see how the community can improve the balance. The number of people in the community beats out Uber, so it'd be interesting to see what kinds of wacky balances we'd end up with.
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

You know you're doing well when even nanolathe is mostly positive.
  16. jables

jables Uber Employee

We wanted to be able to tweet it easily with a link back to here.
  17. jables

jables Uber Employee

We are working on around 60 of them :p (not all will be able to be sold though). I will try to call out which ones are coming out before the update is live though.
    squishypon3 and Remy561 like this.
  18. jables

jables Uber Employee

Yeah this is calling out things that are actually going to show up sooner rather than later. We have some things being worked on that will show up in early 2015, but not really calling it out as it's not super useful in its current state.
  19. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think a lot of people will be excited to see that work is being planned that far ahead!
    tollman, squishypon3 and Raevn like this.
  20. jables

jables Uber Employee

I think I posted on the 32 man game post about server optimizations. So you don't have to dig, it comes to, yep we are totally working on optimizations across the board (but giant games, though moddable to be done, are not officially supported yet).

Balance is being looked at, and we have a lot of good feedback on this from you all as well as a great reddit thread that @brianpurkiss started that is giving us very good insight as to what people are thinking :)