How would you feel about a second PA kickstarter?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 21, 2014.

?

whould you back and extension PA, addon Pack, or prolongation?

1. Hell yeah!

63.0%
  2. **** no!

37.0%
  1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

No, because do you know what a much much more financially viable plan for uber is? To make a new game, with new IP rather than an expansion for a game they're already released.

Oops, they already tried that!
  2. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

This ^^,
    also making stupid marketing (or PR) mistakes does not help. They just need to wait few months before trying again. Hopefully Uber survives lack of fresh $$$.

Expansion for PA should be made for their cash and sold when ready. Kickstarter funding sometimes is a trap, you get all cash from backers (ie. most potential customers get it early) then you have no good sales as your whole fanbase has game, you sell it only to casuals. When you release game, half of your fans are already burned out, so there is lack of fanbse hype. And sales are not that good, you spent most cash on development, nothing is left for new game. Company is in endless kickstarter zone.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  3. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

I would be okay with stuff not in the original kickstarter like a a solo campaign, another faction with an alternate universe with flat planet or I don't know what else. Human resource was a quite good idea, but it was badly timed.
    Still, I would like them to make an interesting galactic war for solo (and multiplayer) before going on something else on PA.
  4. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Id throw another couple hundred thier way because i see pa as a new engine with good possibilities.

With more funding we could get flat maps, more units and so on.

I get tired of seeing people bitch about "HR can go to hell until PA is finished" do they expect uber to run out of money just to make u happy? News flash, devs make money by making games, pa cant finish with out income and no business can servive without income.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

would totaly feel uncomfortable with it
    elkanfirst and Spriggan43 like this.
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That's a pretty neat idea. I've just been buying commanders (well, 1 so far) even though I don't really care what they look like.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

In theory, I have no problems with a 2nd PA kickstarter.
    What I would have a problem with:-

1/ What was on offer

and at least as important...
    2/ When this would/may happen. (ie NOT YET!)
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Conditionally as long as its not e-sports centric and way better communication/interaction. ;)
  9. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

I only voted 'no' because 'expansion' isn't one of the explicit options.
    lokiCML likes this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That I agree on. I am more thinking among the lines of "in 12-48 month sales might drop and Uber will have to either stop developing on more awesome PA stuff or look for additional funding". Ofc I don't want that day to ever happen, but I am sure it is only a question of time for it to happen. When that day comes I'd like them to not just tell their fans "this is it", but give them a chance to throw enough money at them to continue building a more awesome PA.
    felipec, shotforce13, lokiCML and 4 others like this.
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

A second kickstarter? Hellz no. They dont need it. If they sold PA Expansions like they normally do for games, they wouldnt have problems.

Hellz :p With the Custom Commander Market, they can make plenty of cash there to!
    elkanfirst likes this.
  12. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I put $250 down for HR. I would easily put it down again for any kind of new PA KS.
    someonewhoisnobody, Remy561 and cdrkf like this.
  13. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

The thing is, we don't know anything about their finances. They could have 10 million in the bank (entirely possible, if they sold 200,000 - 250,000 copies of PA), or they could be facing bankruptcy next month, and that's why they went back to KS.

It all depends on how much money they have in the bank and how much cashflow they have. They might have enough to make an expansion all on their own, or they might be scrambling to find additional sources of funding or start firing people next week.

If they do not have enough to continue developing PA on their own, then the people who are saying they wouldn't give them any more money are effectively arguing for the closing down of Uber and the complete abandonment of PA.
    nawrot likes this.
  14. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

It will probably get A LOT of negativity that they wasted money or something. But I will back it for 100+ dollars for sure ^^
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

english isn't my main language, look at the poll, that's what I meant originally.
  16. tatsujb

I think generally speaking that Uber have quite a sum in the bank right now. I think it takes that kind of financial situation to move the headquarters, hire more people, and decide that they can develop a second game simultaneously. I don't think a kickstarter can pay for the whole price of the development of a game over two years. But I imagine it must be the tipping stone allowing developers to dive head-first.
    icycalm likes this.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well if they are swimming in money I'd like them to simply announce a PA addon without a KS ;)
    icycalm likes this.
  18. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

That to. Also, they could hire more people to get PA bug free and balanced.... and then start an expansion XD
    icycalm and elkanfirst like this.
  19. tatsujb

the thing is they probably need winter hibernation fat to last them through the whole development process.

If anything I'll exchange moar money for moar promises that I can leverage them with later :p
    icycalm likes this.
  20. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I don't understand the reason for the question. Uber stated that they plan on supporting and working on PA years into the future. So why are you asking if people would like to give them more money? Uber is not even asking.

I would hope if they ran out of funds to work on PA they would let us know and give us some options like a kickstarter part 2.

This survey to me just seems to be based on wild speculation and not support by any facts. It just creates FUD.

To me these kinds of posts just hurt PA and Uber. People start to worry that there is merit behind them and Uber is ready to fold.. and so then they don't buy the game. Who wants to buy a game that is either not going to be supported soon, or that will require you to pay all over again.
    Last edited: October 21, 2014
    lucidnightmare and elkanfirst like this.