How many times can Uber make the same mistake?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zainny, October 19, 2014.

1. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

Something interesting about this quote is it resonated with something I was thinking about the other day actually. Based on all the various statements I've read, I'm actually pretty sure that Uber, generally speaking, really dislikes this community and overall blames it for the lukewarm launch of PA and (now likely) HR kickstarter failure. In particular, the way they've treated Brian makes me a bit sad given how often I've learned things from PAMatches and watched his casts too.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

How would 32-bit prevent a million units?
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Not to mention the former vanguards Nanolathe, KNight, and YourLocalMadSci, all of whom uber consider to be toxic.

Heck, KNight was a 1k backer for heaven's sake!
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You'd hit the maximum memory limit long before getting to 1 million units.

Edit: 32 bit only. Obviously there is already a 32 bit client for PA.
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Nanolathe does feel toxic, the other two not at all. Nanolathe just always has an edge to everything he says, and that's to anybody.

He doesn't treat the other vanguards as such, the only real time I've seen Uber treat them as toxic is Brads trolling of Nano.

I believe you guys are kind of taking it incorrectly. These fans because they are passionate about PA and what it could have been (and still could be) have definitely helped at hurting Uber's reputation, because they want PA to be better they are not afraid to tell what is wrong with the game- which is completely and utterly fine... But you can't say it hasn't helped make Uber look worse, no? They aren't fans or passionate about Uber persay, they're fans and passionate about Planetary Annihilation. Very different things.

They treat Brian how he acts, there are times where he defends Uber and sees how they can be, but he also gives fair critizisms. (and sometimes unfair, depends on the day I suppose.)
  6. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

I would not be sad if Uber started banning the rapid fanboys on this forum.
    nawrot likes this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

You keep using that word, but I'm not offended by it at all? Is being a fan of a game really such a bad thing? If I didn't like this game, I wouldn't play it and I wouldn't post on the forum. I cannot understand why people that are so unhappy stick around and complain so much.
  8. squishypon3

There are some that stick around and complain for a real reason, they want the game to improve, then there are others that just want the game/company to die.

You can often tell the difference.
  9. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Oh, I certainly understand what he's implying - I just don't agree. Sure, the uproar about missing features can't have helped, but to make a post on the funding page for your new project explicitly calling out the fans for your poor image is, I think, a little deluded... at best. How about all the fair to poor reviews your most recent game received? Were those the fault of rabid fans as well? Throwing your "passionate fans" under the bus in that manner indicates to me a resistance to accepting that aspects of the game simply weren't executed well, at the right time, or at all, and that there are consequences for that.

Also, I'm still surprised that no one takes issue with the claim about asteroids. Last time I checked, asteroid belts were a specific feature with specific design intentions and functionality that are definitely *not* in the game. All together, I'd say it really undermines the credibility of the intentions in that post, and forces one to ask some uncomfortable questions about what, exactly, Uber believes the state of their project to be. This is the kind of **** that makes "passionate fans" nervous. It makes me nervous about their intentions, and I'm not even one of those. :p
    elkanfirst and Zainny like this.
  10. cptconundrum

Of course you're right. I probably didn't word my post perfectly, but I'm just getting more and more frustrated with this place as time goes on. Uber delivered a great product and they continue to give us more toys to play with. The community has taken advantage of the openness of the api to build a whole new layer on top of the game with PA Stats, ladders, tournament automation, and more. What we have here really is something that has never happened before in the history of the genre and is unlikely to happen again any time soon. It is just so depressing to see people like this guy allowed to keep trolling toe forum and trying to shut down people he disagrees with by calling them fanboys. Not everyone is able to appreciate the game or the openness of its modding system, I guess. Maybe I just need to stay away from the forum if I'm going to let people like this swizzlewizzle bother me, but I can't understand why Uber lets people come on here and drive away the fans that actually appreciate the game.
    maxpowerz, Fr33Lancer, Quitch and 2 others like this.
  11. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Plenty of reasonable people with differing perspectives to have discussions with, love. ;) Also, I would gently note that so far, you're the only one paying him any attention. Just sayin'. :D
    cptconundrum likes this.
  12. cptconundrum

It's not just one person, though he has been one of the worst. The aggressive negativity coming from so many people for so long has just been wearing down my ability to deal with it. I guess if I'm really the only one that is bothered by it, that is even more of a reason to step back from the forum since it means I can't ignore it as well as other people.
  13. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

@cptconundrum wish I could just "mute" your posts so I don't have to read your 3rd person posts about how bad I am. Too bad the only perspective you can see from is that PA, as it stands now, is God's gift to humanity and we should be damned thankful to have it.

In regards to the OP and followup postings, it seems that the real reason HR isn't having offline servers is so they can control their backer and DLC content. I bet more then a few of the players in Uber are angry that they listed offline servers for PA as a confirmed feature, heh.

I agree that they need to have control over the servers to make money off of "hats" and such not, but I would prefer that instead of just locking everything up, they could come up with a hybrid approach that would allow us to throw server resources into our own games, and yet still maintain control over their pay-as-you-go content.

Oh and please pay attention to the OP's original quote... it really makes it seem like they think due to US being able to host our own servers, people can't play PA very well, when instead, it's the opposite.

It's like, "Oh yea, those horrible PA players and their crappy locally hosted servers are just causing the game to come to a complete chug fest. If only we didn't promise to give our customers an offline server, everyone would be living in a heaven of Uber-sponsored super-servers where lag is never a problem.". No John, PA's lag problems does not lead to your choice of denying offline servers to backers - your business model is the cause.
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Heh. I'm still struggling to ignore icycalm's post. It's ok bro. Some of us just learned this lesson earlier than others: Most wolf-criers are just attention-whores who think calling people out is fun.

Note: PA can support 20k units.

.....if your machine is way better than mine.

So technically, the statement is true. I've seen a game with 75k units.
    Anyway. Just wanted to throw that in the pot before thsi thing gets locked. (NOTE: pls lock REASON: trollfarm).
    squishypon3 likes this.
  15. squishypon3

Oh man, we gotta' find Gandalf's posts about trying to go as far as possible, he's passed 20,000 I believe.
  16. squishypon3

Nah, it bothers me as well. Lately I've tried to use a different tactic at discussion, probably a much better one. I tended to deviate away from my normal rules for having a discussion, namely not acknowledging the person's point of view. I've already seen people take me a bit more seriously.

I see Uber's done quite a bit wrong, but I can see past that and see what they've done right. I want the game to improve and have criticized before, though not as... Horribly anti-Uber or anything.
  17. mered4

....Or you could look on PA stats, in the extras section. It's right there. Two clicks and a nod away. :p
    I wish I could mute your trash, sir. You have no idea what you are talking about.
  18. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Lol, ban the 'fanboys' and you are down to a community of about 10-20 active posters. Uber needs its fanboys if this game is ever going to have a signifigant playerbase. You can't turn around and shut out your most dedicated players. Doesn't mean you have to listen to them on everything, I mean everyone on this forum can get a bit ridiculous at times.

edit: in b4lock!
  19. squishypon3

Man, people don't know how to greentext.

Anyway, why do you keep sayin' a lock will happen, only insults I've seen are fanboy and troll- The first could be argued isn't even an insult and both are fairly low tier anyhow. XD
  20. mered4

Do I need to define what a fanboy is again?
    squishypon3 likes this.