Won't launch

Discussion in 'Support!' started by keyxmakerx, October 19, 2014.

1. keyxmakerx

keyxmakerx Member

Playing on Ubuntu 14.04 x64 intel 3rd gen i7. 16 gb ram.

Get following error.
    keyxmakerx@Tanzanite:~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary Annihilation$ ./PA
    ./PA: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

tried googling, not finding many answers except maybe don't work on 64bit?

Also is there a mem leak on linux? this game takes up 13 gigs... kinda much for just 6 planets.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It depends on how large the six planets were. The larger they are, the more memory is used. Six radius 1000 planets would do it, I guess.

Doesn't steam launch its programs with some special environment variables set? I think Steam uses a custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which points to wherever Steam keeps its versions of libSDL and such. Sorry, I'm not entirely familiar with Steam. PA for Linux is 64-bit-only by the way. It won't even run if you only have a 32-bit Linux.

I'm a bit confused about your question though. It seems you can play the game through Steam just fine, judging from your remark about memory usage, but you want to launch it using the command-line?
  3. keyxmakerx

keyxmakerx Member

was able to play the game a month ago. I kinda got bored, and the memory intake was so enourmous i couldn't do anything else on my computer while i played. But just tried yesterday and it wouldn't run. Should i reinstall steam? Heck at this point maybe a full os reinstall i guess should fix it.
  4. DeathByDenim

Ah, well, you'll be happy to know that memory usage has been significantly reduced in the mean time. Weird about Steam though. There's no button to verify or force an update of PA? You can also just download the non-Steam version. (Even though I thought they were the same, but apparently not.)

Either download the full thing from the Uber Store. Or use any of these patchers:
  5. keyxmakerx

keyxmakerx Member

I done the revaildate. Honestly never knew that existed until today. It said 6000+ files had an error haha.
  6. DeathByDenim

Well, 6000+ files having an error would make it rather likely for problems to pop up, yes. ;)
    Glad you got it working!
  7. keyxmakerx

keyxmakerx Member

Nerp still nothing :/
  8. DeathByDenim

Oh, doh. I thought you meant that Steam found the errors and then proceeded to fix them by downloading them again. I guess not, eh? Did it just not want to download them, or did it try to download them, but still fails after validating?
  9. keyxmakerx

keyxmakerx Member

I went ahead and reinstalled the game. But it still doesn't work :/
  10. DeathByDenim

Can you try just downloading the thing directly from the Uber store. It's just a big bz2 that contains everything. It doesn't get any simpler than that so less opportunities for errors to slip in. You'll have to use your Uber account to log in though.