Upcoming update - Ranked Gameplay

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 16, 2014.

1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Yeah, though I was thinking something along the lines of Subcommander, Commander, Faction General, Faction Leader, Progenitor or something...
    MrTBSC likes this.
  2. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

I don't care what the ranks are called, I've been itching for an uber ladder since day one.

Best games are plays with those of the same or close skill lvl.
  3. harrierx

harrierx Member

I'd say the best games are those against a slightly inferior opponent :D
  4. sookrispy

sookrispy Active Member

Will our rank show up next to our name in normal lobbies, like team games and free for alls? Or does it have nothing to do with that and will only be used for 1v1s because it would be cool if people know if you're a good player or someone who doesn't really play 1v1s.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

In the end will the equivalent of PA stats be made by uber?
    Last edited: October 18, 2014
  6. dusanak

dusanak Member

I hope it's not an equivalent but a permanent replacement. Not that I wouldn't like PA stats or something but matchmaking and ladder should be an integral part of the game, not something that needs to be added by a mod.
    Zaphys likes this.
  7. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

Answer this.

Edit: Please.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's basically what I said, yeah, it's what's on everyone's mind.
  9. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Bronze = Soldier
    Silver = Commander
    Gold = Destroyer
    Platinum = Annihilator
    Diamond = Awesome

EDIT: this would also mean that when someone asks you how good you are at PA, saying 'I'm Awesome' would be a quantifiable statement.
    Last edited: October 19, 2014
  10. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Memologists toiled for years, in the pursuit of one word. One perfect word. A word to rule all others. Finally someone found that word, whilst eating a fried breakfast on a sunny morning in Bradley. It's such an awesome word, awesome can't adequately describe it. The word is bacon. It's the only word which can only be adequately described by itself. Bacon is bacon. It's level of awesomeness is bacon.
    squishypon3, pieman2906 and MrTBSC like this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I like the idea of Awesome being PA's Masters league.
  12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I think I'd prefer an update to Galactic war, because it's really shallow as it stands. That's just me though.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well from what I've gleaned, they've created 3 small teams working on different aspects of PA- so having 1 group working on competitive features doesn't preclude one of the other groups doing stuff with GW...
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  14. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I don't think it's a major complaint. Sure it may be on a lot of people's lists, but I think it'll be quite low down on those lists. If it had a high enough priority, I would have thought a modder would have worked on a proper re-haul by now (being client-side, it can be fully replaced).
  15. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Last I heard, there is one designer working on the planning stages of it.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. jables

jables Uber Employee

Getting the answer for this now, will post it as soon as email is replied to.
    cwarner7264 and jonasmod like this.
  17. void2258

void2258 Member

How about fixing naval and orbital balance before you open up ranked? For that matter, how about a functional tutorial so people don't go in with no idea what they are doing or not realizing they are using something incorrectly or don't know it exists?
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems.
    websterx01 and elodea like this.
  19. jorgenpt

jorgenpt Uber Programmer Uber Alumni

I'll jump in, since I'm one of the people @jables emailed about this. We want to provide this functionality, but it might not make it into "part 1" of the update. The build we're working on internally does not (yet) show ranks for other players.

We'll be exploring what places it makes most sense to surface that information, and we're currently considering non-ranked lobbies and friends lists.
    cwarner7264, elodea, cdrkf and 10 others like this.
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Personally I think a players rank should be visible all the time. This is how it is on Spring for example- it allows players to quickly see who the experienced players are and you can manually balance team games with that kind of info.

Edit: By 'all the time' I mean in any type of lobby and the friends list. It would probably be nice to have an indicator next to players names for spectators as well (may help castors with commentary).
    Fr33Lancer and cwarner7264 like this.