I'm making a list of all the people that bomber snipe.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, October 19, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The ratio of bombers to fighters is very low in that image. I can say from experience that 12 flak is not enough. He also did not represent what an actual "pro" sniper does, pro snipers spread out their force where the air units are not affected by AOE from flak. Then they can either just fly over or wait until they are very close to the comm, and the flak does barely anything.
  2. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm New Member

Built AA turrets + spinners + fighters == Effective anti bomber snipe countermeasures.

Use what is available to you.

On another note the I agree that Astreus trick is a bit lame.
  3. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

It's the only way to win for me, so sorry.
    Geers and vyolin like this.
  4. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

If you hate loosing that much, do not play FFA or PvP
    In a 1 vs 1 or Team vs Team game you win chance is only 50%.
    In a FFA it is 100% divided by number of players. So in a 10 way FFA you only get a 10% chance to win (because 9 out of 10 people have to loose for 1 to win).

Using fighters agaisnt fighters is not a good idea. Avoid shooting something that can shoot back.
    The best way to shoot down enemy fighters is with anything but fighters, especially ground units.

If the enemy invests everything into bombers he should be vulnerable to ground and/or bot assaults. Invest equal amounts of metal into Dox and you can counter and propably kill him. Alterantively there is the boom bot snipe (same per unit metal cost, even harder to hit for bombers).
    Each hummingbird costs 180 Metal, each bomber 240.
    Each boom or Dox costs 45. That means 4 per humming bird. And 5-6 per bomber.
    And that is before you include that air builds relevantly slower then all other factories (12 Metal instead of 15), so you get much better throughput per factory.

If you don't have the time/econ to invest equal amount of Metal into coutner units, then you had already lost. The bombers were meerely the means to your defeat, not the reason for your defeat.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Please, bomber snipes are so last season.

I use these snipes:

Bolosnipe
    Infernosnipe
    Fabbersnipe
    Commandersnipe
    Doxsnipe
    Grenadiersnipe
    Combatfabbersnipe
    Boomsnipe
    advancedfabbersnipe
    levellersnipe
    vanguardsnipe
    shellersnipe
    slammersnipe
    bluehawksnipe
    snipersnipingsnipe
    advancedcombatfabbersnipe
    gunshipsnipe
    lightlasertowersnipe
    lasertowersnipe
    advancedlasertowersnipe
    catpultsnipe
    peltersnipe
    holkinssnipe
    frigatesnipe
    destroyersnipe
    torpedolauchersnipe
    advancedtorpedolauchersnipe
    battleshipsnipe
    missileshipsnipe
    nukesnipe
    anchorsnipe
    sxxsnipe
    asteroidsnipe
    metalplanetsnipe

and last, but not least

advancedbombersnipe

So really, what even is a snipe anyway? The only game mode is assassination, sniping is the goal.
  6. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

I am afraid you have mistaken PA for a game of pure luck. If I were to play just about anyone playing PA seriously the probability of me winning would be a plain old 0. The number of players has little to do with your chances of winning, even if everyone is on the same skill level.

On topic:
    One simple fix to this - which will of course never happen, due to PA being a combat micro game:
    Make anti-air target anti-ground aircraft with the highest possible priority - voilà, hiding your bombers in a swarm of meat-shield fighters avails you nothing anymore. The rest is a matter of juggling numbers.
    DalekDan likes this.
  7. valheria

valheria Active Member

Problem is you have people who spend their entire match time making sniping force and neglecting everything else.. it is just not cool as it is telling other players you there just to piss people off.. I bloody wish uber would add a mode were commander death would not make you loose.

Same thing happens in supreme commander FA.. One guy spent a hour making a teleport laser commander and sniped 4 commanders on the other side of the map one after another while he was in team of 4.. He honestly thought he was a hero doing it.. But his team mates were so angry at him that they banned him from future maps because it is that uncool.. Snipes are fine for the most part.. its the people who are HARDCORE snipers that piss people off because no one wants a team mate to watch one friendly player end the game early because he decided to snipe the commanders before any real action happens.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Snipes like the SXX, asteroid and laser are inherently impossible to avoid without prior preparation.

Bombers are a unit type, and so are not impossible to defend against, FFA's are a exception because of the nature of the mode.

If your opponent found a chink in the armor, then they are going to go for the heart.
  9. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Poor kiwi. If we ever duke it out I'm going to bomber snipe you.
  10. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

You forgot the
    360NoScopeAdvancedBomberSnipe
    squishypon3, sierra159 and igncom1 like this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Uh, by who?

I think we've found the problem.
  12. wstxbb

wstxbb Member

lol, what else can we do to win in a water map?:p
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I recall playing a big FFA on a water planet with you + a load of other Promethean players... how did you win that in the end again killer?.....

Pot, kettle much? :p
    squishypon3 and lapsedpacifist like this.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i just literaly imagined all the snipes in cinematic form and that not even including the commander in tranport snipes ... however the result with a few exceptions is always the same ... though seriously imagine losing the commander through combatfabber mines ... i think that would be even more of a saltdrop than being reclaimed ...

... i challenge thee @Geers to make the ultimate GIF of that ... all ...
    a commanders milion ways to be sniped ...
    Last edited: October 19, 2014
  15. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Hah, I thought he was saying he'd massed enough fabbers to just reclaim the commander while he was firing wildly XD
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's frowned upon?

Because you don't know how to properly defend against it and don't like losing?
  17. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Sounds like the whining of a sore loser to me.
    magisterquis likes this.
  18. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

1 factory is a bit few :p even in a 1v1.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Agree this sounds like a whining thread rather than legit problem. The only thing I can say is that maybe if everyone is using T1 bombers so much and not bothering to mix in T2, they might be a bit over powered. Not over-powered in the 'these things are game breaking unfair', just in the sense that if they are by far the most cost effective air unit then we won't see much t2 at play which is a shame for unit diversity.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Why? it's a rare strat when you pitch it up against the top ten :
    1. dox spam
    2. dox spam
    3. dox spam
    4. dox spam
    5. dox spam
    6. dox spam
    7. dox spam
    8. dox spam
    9. dox spam