Trying out 24 Core Opteron 2.6ghz 32GB Server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by warrenkc, October 18, 2014.

1. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

It would be cool if it could get a little overclock, but the heat would be a problem, I assume
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

indigo extreme - H100 combo.

problem solved.

my Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition runs at 25 degrees Celsius normal load and 30-35 degrees Celsius heavy load.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Could you switch your mod to Custard's mod instead of Colin's?
  4. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

A superior client server architecture where we have to pay hundreds of euro to actually play the game with less units than supcom could do 7 years ago... thats awesome tech.
    The problem holding supcom back was the not threaded sim and well what did they do? Is the sim thread split? No!
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Show me that 32 player SupCom game please.
  6. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Map size unit numbers and simspeed is what matters. 10 player game with 5k units or more runs with supcom. I hace yet to see a pa game with such unit amounts.
  7. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Since 32-player-PA games are not exactly commonplace I would call this an unfair question. He might lack style but his point still stands: For a game designed from the ground up to support multithreading and thus massive battles, PA is sorely lacking in the multithreading department. From the ground up, too, to add insult to injury.
    bradaz85 and tatsujb like this.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Server is currently offline due to a bug where the sim froze but the server stayed alive. That game won't end until the server is restarted.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

12k unit replay on FAF actually runs fine. you just have to have a super beefy CPU clock.
  10. cola_colin

PA was designed from the ground up for "big" games and the fact that is even supports 32 players at all shows that it can scale quite a lot better than SupCom in that regard. Yes it's not yet where we want it to be. But you know how hard SupCom sucked in 2006 for the average computer? I could barely play 1vs1 back then and it lagged so hard it was no fun. I did 3 upgrades to my computer before I actually could play decent sized games. The latest one run hardware that was years ahead of the hardware available in 2006.

If you only care about those raw unit numbers you may want to just play TA. I am sure that can handle more units than FA as well ;)

5.5k dox that don't move push the sim to 80% on my i5. A simple move order pushes it to 20%-40%.
    I can't see how that is that bad. Compare it to a 4v4 of SupCom in 2006 played online. Maybe my memory is bad, but I can remember quite a lot of slow sim speed there as well.

the server is already able to use 8 cores for non-sim related things. I would not say they are missing multithreading from the ground up, everything but the sim seems to be multithreaded already. I agree the sim should be multithreaded as well. We'll see what Uber can do about that in the future. As is quite visible Uber still has a whole team working on PA. Release or not the game is still being worked on :p
    My 5.5k test game produces this on my machine:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah... no multithreading at all./s
    If I remember correctly for FA that was one core at 100%, 1 at a little load and 2 more at idle.

Really show me how you cheat in 5.5k labs in FA and move them all at once. I don't have it installed anymore, maybe I should do so, it'll be quite interesting to compare pathfinding and sim speed. Actually maybe I should do that...

@stuart98 I killed it.

EDIT:
    oh about replays,
    those work at pretty much perfect sim speed at all unit counts I've tested so far. Even while still playing the actual game :p
    Having actually all unit movements just directly stored does have a bunch of advantages.
  11. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

You are trying really hard to make a problem up there, don't you?
    It is single threaded SIM for now. The design is ideal to make it one thread per planet*, but that would cause issues with really big planets (that are still planned). Because one huge planet could still have a LOT of units on it.
    So I guess they will go for one thread per nav sector long term. That is what I would do and that is something that will be difficulty to implement. So it is natural that they choose the easy way for now. Also that woul scale pretty much to inifnity/the limits of x64 technology.

It is a temporary limit, nothing else.

*I realised that when they decided to make "shards" for Human Resources. It basically spilts the whole map into a bulk of distinct areas that can be easily multithreaded.
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

While you are right on calling me out on this, multithreading the client handling part in a client-server architecture is neither special nor unexpected. Handling the clients is not what brings down the sim speed, either.
    Multithreading the simulation is the interesting part, and the one alluded to by Uber in the beginning. And that one has gotten a multithreading treatment in the recent past, but not been designed with it included from the ground up. So I stand by my statement, ill-worded as it was.

Can't be that easy, otherwise sim-speed would have been a non-issue for ages now.
  13. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

What does 32 players mean if the unit limit is 250? Thats a joke right? Is it?
    i did not advertise a game with 1 hundreds of thousands units did i?
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Depends on server hardware, CPU clock speed more specifically.
  15. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Tried playing a 5v4v4v5 on this server, with the last team consisting of 5 Absurd AIs.

Lag from hell from 5 minutes in. Went back to Uber's servers, that seem considerably faster.
  16. cola_colin

That matches with the idea of "Opterons are just rather slow per core"
    warrenkc likes this.