Trying out 24 Core Opteron 2.6ghz 32GB Server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by warrenkc, October 18, 2014.

1. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Had about 3500 units at one point. Check it out:
    Looks cool.

This is just a replay. Unfortunately the sim speed while playing did not do so great.
    Last edited: October 19, 2014
    Kryoclasm, Dolmax and ArchieBuld like this.
  2. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Public
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I can assure you it has, as I've been the person who set it up. Not my server though. Anonymous nice person who gave me access to it.

EDIT:
    Also replays don't use much server power, it looks awesome at that "sim" speed in the replay. I wish it would look like that ingame with 40 players doing the same thing :D
    Remy561, squishypon3 and FSN1977 like this.
  5. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

all them dox, lovely :)
  6. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I know. With that many units not moving it was okay. Moving them caused quite the slowdown in the SIM. That will be the day when the game can handle 10k units moving around. Hopefully sometime soon :) I am actually a bit disappointed in the SIM not being multi-threaded the way I thought it was going to be. They must have crunched for time :(
  7. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

8. cola_colin

24/7
    Only letdown is that Opterons are kinda slow for the sim. Like the server owner guessed 50% of what good Xeons can do.
  9. icycalm

So, who hosts the games on this server then? I mean, who picks if we'll play FFAs or Team games, the number of players, etc.?
  10. cola_colin

Whoever joins first. That person should have the unlimited players ui mod installed though.
    icycalm likes this.
  11. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I actually didn't think that it ran better than my gaming computer running PA offline. (maybe worse)

Also I don't see too much difference from the online server and my computer for PA. Sure the local computer running it can go maybe 50% more units etc... than Uber's servers but that isn't that big of a difference to me. They both run into a wall too early IMHO.
  12. icycalm

Cool. I am just going to email my modified file to all my friends, and they can just copy it in the directory. Saves them the trouble of editing it themselves, and then we are all on the exact same page.
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I know where the next clan war games will be played on.
  14. cola_colin

There is a mod on pamm called "Unlimited Players". Install it. No need for file editing by hand anymore.
    Remy561, squishypon3, icycalm and 2 others like this.
  15. cola_colin

I guess if we put 50 players or so in it the 24 core server will be better. Why? because it has so many cores that the sim will still be able to have a core for itself. But those 50 players will make so many unit that it'll be a "I have 1.5 sim fps and you have 1.0, I am 50% better and we still can't really play well"-kind of better
  16. icycalm

Do I install that even if I have already edited my file, or will it cause a conflict, so it would be better not to?
  17. cola_colin

It overwrites the changes to your file. I'd recommend you to validate your PA and install it.
  18. icycalm

So I have the server right now and I made it viewable to friends only until 2 of my friends who are in a game are finished with it and can join me.

Is this allowed or am I "hijacking" the server with this behavior?
  19. cola_colin

It is an open server. You may use it however you want as long as you only use it via the normal "ingame" methods.
    I think that server is mostly idle anyway.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

the way PA is meant to be played.