Galactic War need some love

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by daTomas, October 12, 2014.

1. daTomas

daTomas Member

As many of the developers said in the past, a large majority of PA players are engaged in single player games only.
    As there is no a playable campaign such Supreme Commander’s or Starcraft’s, Uber need to do some work on Galactic War campaign, as I believe, many PA players play the game that way.

Needed changes, imho, are mostly of cosmetic nature. Not a story, not a new factions, but this:
    1. There should be some preview what tech will player gain when conquering the system.
    2. If there are not slots available for picking up the tech, it should stay in the conquered system and it should be good to get that tech after playing another system and getting the free slot instead of deleting and rejecting tech.
    3. Jumping should be made possible in one click from one to another distant conquered system, instead of the way it is now (jump to neighbor system only). I now there is a mod for this, but come on, a lot of single game players don’t bother with PAMM.

Other suggestions?
    Remy561 likes this.
  2. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

1. Mods do that
    2. Nope. that is part of the Rougeliek style. Just having the Mod for 1 will make this much less of an issue.
    3. Mods do that.

Really, get the "Section of ..." mods and GW extended system moves. They are all you will ever need.
    They spend immeasureable amounts of time on the mod functionality. Don't ask for a second cake before you even tried using the 1st.
  3. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Maybe that the other factions actually attack your systems and not sit idle?
    Remy561, bradaz85, kothanlem and 5 others like this.
  4. daTomas

daTomas Member

This! I just install them and they are awesome, all that GW in current state needs. Thanks.
  5. daTomas

daTomas Member

I like this idea. As long the faction leader is alive, it should take some systems back.
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

1.Then why would anyone ever conquer the whole galaxy? People will just take the path of best tech to get from boss to boss.
    2.Then may as well just have an inventory with ability to change tech any time. Not sure if that would be a good or a bad thing.
    3. Yes please

Overall I think that the whole tech gathering system needs an overhaul. Currently it's functional enough for a check-box in a feature list, but not for actual interesting and engaging play around it. Would be nice to have something more complex you can fiddle with rather than just semi-randomizer of stuff available.
    Some possibilities may include:

-Path-of-Exile-like web of nodes.
    -Slots as a board and techs as puzzle pieces. Fit as many as you can.
    -Mix of the two above: you have a big board of nodes and collect the connection lines to lay on it.
    -Slots as form and techs as function. I.e. you can choose to put "artillery" function in a form of tank or a building.

Or maybe something else. Anything will be better than what we currently have.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Galactic war needs some love, but what you describe is not the love it needs.

Galactic war is missing the basic feature of pretty much every RTS meta-game that's ever existed, namely enemies having a turn to attack.

The way I see skirmishes where the enemy is on the offense is you not having any sub-commanders (while they might have a few).
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yeah, personally What the meta game should be about is a resource of "sub-commanders" allowing you to expended them in defence of a system, to assist your attack, or possibly even to attack on their own.
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Galactic Wars main problem is that the whole concept is pretty much senceless---why would those A.I.-commanders not conquer other systems? If they already are in a system, why don´t they have bases ready? Instead of this they are just landing---in their OWN, already conquered system.

In other words: It´s complete bullshit! :mad:
  10. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

s0rt3d likes this.
  11. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

A fan story deals with the "why no bases" issue:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/synchronous-data-transmission-fan-fiction.63950/#post-996128
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I think Galactic war should...
    ...have the AIs move.
    ...force AIs to collect tech too.
    ...allow you to create your own faction, or at least color scheme.
    ...allow you to "repurpose" the defeated commanders to be used as defending commanders for a world.
    ...have a derelict commander on each uncontrolled world to leave in place to defend it.
    ...have an economic bonus based on the number of systems you control.
    ...have a tech tree that advances with each new tech drop and prevent the acquisition of duplicate tech.
    ...have coop play.
    ...give the player the ability to create their own initial load out with limitations.
    ...allow metagame individual tech options that carry from one war to the other and can be used in a custom initial loadout.

Perhaps more to come. Not sure what to add right now.
    Remy561 likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Custom factions would go against the lore though. :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Custom factions would not go against the lore. There is always room for a wild card. Something that no one saw coming.
  15. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Co-Op is the BIGGEST thing in my mind. But a player-vs-player variant, even recycling the GW map for tournaments, would also be interesting.

It'd be nice if the AI knew how to handle interplanetary, though.
  16. igncom1

And such faction would be annihilated by the Synchronous.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

What if that kind of behaviour is beyond the boundaries of their programming?

:)
  18. igncom1

Not to mention the game would essentially freeze if you had to attack fully formed bases where as you only start with a commander.

There would be no winning at that point, you would just straight up lose before you began.
    Gorbles likes this.
  19. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Galactic War could be made way more streamlined, instead of this grand randomness that just feel wierd imho.

This is my personal vision that often comes into my mind, that when you battle and conquer planets you get ranks like in a military system (name the ranks what ever you like) after conquering 3-4-5-6 whatever number of system, maybe depending on how big your galaxy is you increase in rank, get rewarded a techslot, instead of finding them in the galaxy, and you can choose what tech you want. altho some tech might only be available when you have obtained a higher rank by conquering more planets. The system generation should also adept to this, so if your above a certain rank that has not rewarded you with orbital tech, you don't get multiple planet spawns or systems.

But that just my idear ^^
  20. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

GW suffers from a lack of depth. It's like a game of chess that gives you 10 moves per turn on a blank board with a couple neat upgrades.

Needs to feel more turn-based and I'd love a multiplayer galactic war.