PTE Stream: 73939

Discussion in 'Support!' started by jables, October 15, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Time for a new PTE stream! This is more of a hotfix / incremental patch build, rather than a major one.

In it, you'll find the following items to check out:
    - Server crash uploading has been fixed. This is critical for us to more effectively find and fix server crash bugs.
    - A lot of additional localization added, languages include: Brazilian Portugeuse, Polish, Norweigan, Korean, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Czech, and Arabic
    - AI now has a concept of fully committing to a fight if running away is deemed a worse option
    - Miscellaneous server and client crash fixes

As always, you can check through our launcher, or through the PTE beta stream on Steam. Please post your feedback here, however.
    Last edited: October 15, 2014
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

still allways impressed about the amount of units this engine can handle simulataneously :)
    kayonsmit101 and fredegar1 like this.
  3. earth75

earth75 Member

So this is what Sorian prepared over the weeekend ;) ;)
  4. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Exactly that.
    As I understand it basically the "run away/bad decision" threshold is now affected by how good running away would be. If there is any option better then running away (even if it is not normally a good acton) it will take that action instead of running. "Taking them with me" training for Neural Net AI.
  5. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Orbital fabbers don't seem to be able to build Jiggs.
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That is a very nice description of the behavior. Might have to steal that.
  7. carnilion

carnilion Member

only played one game...1:45h after midnight here, but its a fantastic ai update!
    larger armys, way less retreat instead of dealing max dmg.
    his armys that are around his base are now drawn in to defend it when base gets attacked - very nice.
    also commander ai seems to be better, only 1 time commander walked out, and there he didnt die, in every other case when my army aproached he run away in the depths of his base - yay^^
    also small tactical groups of ~5 units or so with an adv artilery....very annoying and evil - i like it!^^
  8. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I ♥ u sorian
  9. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

The AIs seem to be much more useful for SubCommanders in GW :)

Well done!

Still cant change commanders when starting a new GW when in Offline Mode though...(Steam)
  10. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Is the server still using port 6543 in this build
  11. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Nope, they've made the switch to 20545
    mkrater, SXX and maxpowerz like this.
  12. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Cheers :)

I have limited internet so i was only downloading this build if the port was changed.
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Any update on the lobby bugs being fixed?

That infamous "Failed to join server" has been around for... as long as i can remember actually. I think it has something to do with a person leaving the lobby.

Economy modifiers are also sometimes not visible to people that just join, only visible to the host.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I guess I'd ask is there anything we can do to assist with problem lobbies, any particular information Uber requires to identify the cause?
  15. draiwn

draiwn New Member

I got the same behaviour and AI didn't repair its commander so the next attack I kicked him out with few bullets.
    It would be great to learn the AI that repairing its commander is a high priority task and sending him almost alone is very risky.

But I have to say, very nice job with the AI. I almost have the feeling to play against an human player :)
    ace63 likes this.
  16. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

No problems so far with this build. Only one small AI bug that when I had a decent army already, the AI commander walked among the planet just for some metal. So he didn't have a base yet and I could kill him easily since he walked into my base.
  17. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I keep constantly noticing that the AI still doesn't take care of it's commanders. I lose so many allies in GW because it just puts it in an astreus and sends it off to an enemy occupied panet to be blown up... :(
    FSN1977 likes this.
  18. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Not really related to this PTE but this is my first naval game since early beta because Galactic War forced me to.

Hmm if you pause the game, it seems that players cannot use the chronocam. Is this to prevent abuse of pausing or is it just a side effect of the pausing. I wanted to look what happened to my boat without losing attention to the GW game.

Edit:

Also naval pathfinding is pretty bad, my commander pushed a passing boat to the side because it wanted to build a naval factory. I guess he should wait till the area is cleared because that boat got stuck between two factories. Other constructor boats on area build for mexes also got stuck in front of the factories since they tried to go in between the factories which does not fit.

Edit2: Now I had 3 fabrication boats going to the same mex spot. But they did not go in a straight line. They made semicircular path to get there while it was only water in between.

Edit 3: Why do scout boats have less vision than their a bit slower counterparts? And no area patrol for boats?

Edit 4: Game has ended, I finally FOUND the enemy after 17 minutes of manual scouting in the Legionis Machina boss match. Seems he got stuck he managed to build this in 18 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    He got back to life again when I destroyed one of his not moving scouts.

Small note, the field of view is can be seen pretty badly on water.

Concluding from this naval powered game: Planets themselves can support awesome naval games since this planet really looks awesome! But Naval gameplay itself is terrible, it really needs a lot of tweaking to make it awesome. Firstly I'd say some new balance for naval since the boats were really really slow on such a big planet. The AI also needs some naval work since it didn't even try to go naval when it lands on a small island. And why is there no area patrol for boats? I'd really love to see huge naval battles, they are awesome!!

FINAL edit: It seems I had naval engine tech which made my boats go 50% faster :eek: How terribly slow are normal boats? Naval really really needs to be reworked to support relatively big water planets without use of air. (Since I did not have air ^^)

Would love to give a replay link but it seems the game plays GW games in offline so I don't have anything.
    Last edited: October 16, 2014
    warrenkc likes this.
  19. earth75

earth75 Member

Ok so after a one hour game, i must say that this pte has worse pathfinding than the last. I mean, it's not terrible, but I often ended up making Waypoints myself because i felt that the units were wery likely to walk straight into a montain, or a lake.
  20. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

I had a 36 minute minute game on a radius 1000 tropical starting planet and 3 small moons against an absurd AI at 1.0 resources.
    The guy sent zero land units to attack me, he did however build land units but just kept them at his base, AI started in a lake which is apparently still causing problems.
    He had scouted me out, he did expand to all 3 moons, did not grab all the metal he could even though I game him zero resistance.
    I barely attacked him because I wanted to observe his behaviour, he wasn't expanding much on the main planet either.
    This was on a local server so I can't show you the replay.