Game should default to chat/chronocam after victory

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zihuatanejo, October 14, 2014.

1. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure people new to the game realise that after a game has been won or lost, the players can still chat to each other in chronocam. In fact I think you can still hit the chat key with the menu that says 'view stats, chronocam, main menu'.

I think it must be very disheartening for new players to get beaten and then feel like they're just unceremoniously kicked out of the game. Most games you get to shake hands/touch gloves/hug it out afterwards and say "gg". The number of times I've won games against people who are clearly new to the game, and I feel like if chat was on by default afterwards, they might be more inclined to stick around and review the game and maybe learn something. Sure, some people will just leave instantly, but if there were just a few more seconds for someone to say 'want some tips?' or 'thanks for the game, wanna review it together'? This is pretty standard in chess I believe.

I feel like 'current conditions' are just leading towards more people becoming disillusioned with the game. Coupled with the lack of a good, interactive tutorial, it isn't going to be a rewarding experience for the new players. ANd let's face it, all of us who are fans of TA, SupCom, and RTS in general - we don't need to be catered for, we already play and enjoy the game. How about a bit of support for the newbies so the game/playerbase can grow.
    planktum, cdrkf, tatsujb and 7 others like this.
  2. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

That's a solid suggestion, I only figured it out after speccing the people remaining. I'm curious, if you enable global spectator chat does that work for dead player spectators as well as regular spectators? I mean, I figure its probably the same, but there might be some reason otherwise.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Mmm.. really good idea. Stick the chat box under the big Game Ended window... It'd be nice to be able to know you can chat to your opponent as you look over the stats / Chronocam.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

A solid yes from me.

could have a case-dependant behaviour :
    • vs AI, game recap and stats
    • PVP chronocam.
    zihuatanejo and Nicb1 like this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I had a game like this earlier..... ended up in a PA:Stats 1 v 1 against a very new player, killed him pretty quickly. Would have liked the opportunity to discuss afterwards.
    zihuatanejo likes this.