Team games: Spawning apart vs. Megabases + Cult Strategy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, September 7, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I feel like this thread had gone no where
  2. klovian

klovian Member

Spreading apart will help with micro.

More people controlling units, instead of one person assigned to 4 people's units.

I doubt many players could do this effectively.

Some people alluded to this, but a lot of static in b/t, so I though I'd point out this one major fact out to you.

So, as "supreme commander" your delegation would be better concentrated on "areas" instead of actual duties.

Such as "you concentrate on moon/southern defense".
    So people have free reign to control the UNITS there.
    The way you describe it, only one person is actually looking at the battle, and may miss things. And if someone actually notices something outside of there duty, they have to ask the bot guy to move the units.
    Also, you may not want the player not familiar with the game to control your combat units. And further if you practice like you play, you will further specialize your team to NOT multitask AT ALL, which is kinda a prerequisite for RTS games.
    Which is counter intuitive. If you do "practice" it should be on micro and multitasking, instead of a guy practicing perfectly placing energy plants. Doesn't help down the road with actually getting better at the game. That's not efficient practice.

And I'd have more faith in your team in general. "They can't handle this". "This guy isn't good at this". Also "limiting", and counterintuitive. It IS required of this game, let them fly and learn.
    Last edited: October 14, 2014
    silenceoftheclams likes this.
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Your advice is similar in some respects to what fluffy advised here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...bases-cult-strategy.63806/page-4#post-1019226

You are trying to adapt our playstyle to your strengths, while the entire point of our playstyle is to move away from them because we are extremely weak in those areas where you are strong.

So fluffy said that the general should also carry fabbers around with him to make radars and such. But one of the very reasons we have a general is because Masahiro can't handle building stuff and moving units at the same time.

Or you are saying we should specialize in AREAS instead of in TASKS. But the very reason we specialize in tasks is because we can't handle more than one or two tasks at the same time (or at least not anywhere near the level that our opponents can). The only reason you are advocating this strategy to us is because YOU are ALREADY capable of handling all tasks. You are not thinking of how WE could play to our strengths, but of how YOU would have to play in order to adopt, at least partly, our strategy. In other words you are not thinking of us but yourself. So your advice is not helpful to us.

As an aside, would you guys advise Rommel to stop concentrating on army command and fly all around Europe directing the flow of the economy and what the factories produce, etc.? Can you at least see that in the real world NOT specializing is suicide?

And yes, PA is not the real world, but, for us, as I've already explained, it is more enjoyable to play in some respects as if it were.
  4. klovian

klovian Member

The reason you are weak is because you are practicing being weak.

If that advice doesn't apply, no one can help you, so don't ask for any advice.

Esp if you "play like the real world" and aren't playing to win, why ask for winning advice. Attention maybe?
    ace902902 and Clopse like this.
  5. icycalm

Yeah, you got me. I am doing everything for the attention. Sorry. I'll just shut up and just watch replays and copy build orders off the internet and do the exact same thing everyone else is doing in order to please you.

I NEVER SAID WE AREN'T PLAYING TO WIN. ENJOYMENT AND WINNING ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE THINGS. It says a lot about your playstyle that you think that they are.

But yes, I know that reading is hard.
  6. klovian

klovian Member

Reading may be difficult.. But only because of comprehension. Therefore, your lack of comprehending advice in ANY applicable form, IS implicative of your leadership, or lack thereof. Not of my ability to convey it.

But your own your own as of now, your welcome for taking the time to respond to your meaningless cause.
    ace902902 likes this.
  7. icycalm

By the way, I never asked for advice. I have even written an entire article on why I hate it: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/against-the-metagame.63835/

The only reason I even started this thread is because I was getting the same advice from people (to abandon our strategy), and I wanted to explain to them why I wouldn't be taking it, so that they could stop repeating it to me. Read the OP and you'll see this was my intention. Then when our first Clan Wars matches were over I resurrected the thread to try to explain to all the critical and even mean commenters on Twitch our approach to the game and the reasons for our performance.

Of course people gave me advice, and of course it was hard NOT to read it when it's being posted in a thread which I started and which I am necessarily reading. And once I've read the advice (I mean the advice on how to fine-tune our strategy, not the advice to abandon it), it's not possible to erase it from my mind and not consider it. And once I consider it, it may as well be mine and part of my thinking at that point. And of course I am grateful to everyone who took the time to offer well-meaning, constructive advice. When I say I hate advice I mean IN PRINCIPLE, because it spoils my chance of THINKING IT UP FOR MYSELF, which is what strategy games are supposed to be about. I don't mean that I hate the people who are trying to advise me.

The only reason this debacle exists is because I don't want to be kicked out of the Clan Wars if Exodus finds that our matches are boring their viewers. If I didn't have this fear, I would be laughing at everyone who says that they hate our strategy, and I would keep doing my own thing regardless for ever and a day.
  8. icycalm

On the subject of winning, I also want to point out that it is not a binary issue. If on our next match on Elysium we manage to knock out an enemy base, that will be a "win" in our minds, because we will have done better than the last time. And if on our next match we knock out two enemy bases, that will be a further win, and so on. Even if we NEVER get to achieve a FULL win, it will still be enjoyable and worthwhile to us to see how far we can push in that direction using our chosen strategy.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. icycalm

We played 2 games against Promethean today, both 4v4s on Elysium. Here are the lobby IDs of the games:

http://www.pastats.com/chart?gameId=227685
    http://www.pastats.com/chart?gameId=227695

In the second game we knocked out one of their bases and almost got a commander. And this despite the following two things:

1. As far as I can see, the Promethean team was stronger than the VoW team we faced on Saturday. Much more aggressive and with a far greater number and variety of units to throw at us.

2. We only had 2 of our A players (me and Masahiro) in our team, the other two guys had about 20 and 30 hours in the game respectively. So, much weaker team than against VoW.

So I call that progress, and I thank the Promethean guys for jumping into our lobby. You are welcome back anytime, guys.
    Last edited: October 15, 2014
    cdrkf and Masahiro9891 like this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

11. jhnphm

jhnphm New Member

@icycalm The last game I played against you (as KanoneZiel) (lobby id 11206878249114150601), I noticed in addition to the megabases, you had no radar coverage which made your shellers completely ineffective, and unable to counter fire at ours (saving our base, or what was left of it). The lack of radar resulted in you driving units through minefields and losing them.

Deep space radar was nonexistant until very late game by which point the planet was covered in anchors, and had the benefit of orbital power that could not be destroyed from the ground, and orbital radar hovering above your base for most of the game.
    icycalm likes this.
  12. Masahiro9891

Masahiro9891 New Member

Yeah, I always need to remind icy to build radars. Like every. Frigging. Game. That was a pretty fun game.
    jhnphm likes this.
  13. icycalm

Played a bunch of games with BRN and P guys today, and what I came to realize is that it's more fun for both of us if we have at least an extra player in our team. The other clans get a decent challenge, and our games last beyond 15 minutes so we get to practice more.

The only question is the quality of that practice. I think that, competition-wise, having an extra player is bad for us, because it allows us to relax. But if we forget about competition, this is DEFINITELY the way for everyone involved to have more fun.

So I am ambivalent about it.
    mishtakashi, Murcanic and jeffrobot like this.