How do I stop a sniper over 70?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by Hopewolf, February 3, 2011.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Smaz, yes any class can be deadly in the right hands. But only a sniper can WTF ROFL one-hit kill you from across the map in under 2 seconds.

The problem I'm having is that he can kill me long before I can kill him with any other weapon. Even if I score a direct hit with a level 3 mortar he will just hop off his platform and is back in 10 seconds. When he hits me I'm back in the respawn room. Ever played a match against two good snipers? They can lock down the whole map by themselves, their teammates can kill bots and turrets unopposed.

I started playing Assault (and I'm not terribly good as Assault) just to have a chance on maps like Grenade III, Spnky, AmmoMule and Steel Peel. That leaves me pretty much with one map where I can play gunner.
  2. Smaz

Smaz New Member

Ive thought about it more and i now see your point Jessup.
    My main concern now is that they will take another look at snipers and start to change them. I play sniper pretty much full time and i for one hope they dont change the sniper class just because a 'good' sniper can roll people.
    Tbh i havent come across a sniper that has beaten me...ever, so i guess i cant comment on this sinse i havent experienced being rolled by a sniper.
  3. Recoil

Recoil New Member

Whenever I play an assassin I find it's usually easier to approach from behind out of stealth. You don't make noise that way.
  4. Gortran

Gortran New Member

Assasin + Stealth 3 + Shurikens = dead sniper

Most of your clip will be criticals. Even if he doesn't die he will move out of his spot and then you just lunge and attack to finish him off.
  5. Vlane

Vlane New Member

You assume that the sniper is not playing very well (he won't let you in those x feet you need to lunge at him).
  6. Gortran

Gortran New Member

But he won't have a choice? You're cloak at a distance you let your shurikens rip, he moves once he starts getting hit. You either A) close the gap and finish it with more shurikens or your blade B) Cloak and move

You don't have to kill him to be successful, forcing him to move around will accomplish the same thing. Once you got him down to 25% health anyone can finish him off.
  7. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Which I think is rather unlikely if he has halfway decent reflexes (which I assume) and/or a nicely placed trap.

The more likely scenario, but it doesn't fix the problem. It just hinders the sniper.

Sure everybody can finish him off if he is orange or red but the scenario is that he dominates, meaning there is almost nobody in his range to kill him. And if he is positioned nicely (behind the glasses in Grenade III for example) it's almost impossible.
  8. thebabelfish

thebabelfish Member

The only way I've found to deal with a truly amazing sniper is to drop bombs on him from outside his LoS, some maps you can force ringouts but most it's just to keep his head down.
  9. Gortran

Gortran New Member

Half a clip of your shurikens is usually enough to drop the sniper, you'll get at least a quarter in before he can react.

The only way to beat a sniper is to get him out of his perch, if you get him to move then it's mission accomplished you now have the advantage, if you have him on the floor and you're an assassin you should have the upper hand to win the fight.

If you got him moving then he's of no use to their team, it's like hitting the money ball while it's down, as the assassin you're just there to pester and distract.
  10. fischbs

fischbs New Member

Question: "How do I stop a sniper over 70?"
    Answer: "L2P noob"

The fact that two level 70 snipers dominated a pub means nothing. Your anecdotal evidence is pointless. They could have been playing any class and dominated the server. People that know how to play the game generally do a lot better than people who don't. Are you actually not humble enough to just admit that perhaps they're a better player, that there's something you can improve on rather than blaming the class they're playing? Or do you think that two level 70 players should be on par with a chumpy noob? Because that's a fairly unrealistic expectation. Do you join a CS:S server and cry about how OP the Scout is when two clan pros are dominating your uncoordinated, predictable and scrubby team with it? No you give them props and L2P.

I already know what happened on that server. No one avoided the Snipers' lanes of fire. Everyone ignored the bots because they were getting pissed about the Snipers trying to kill them (and failing miserably). The two Snipers sit at the perches uncontested and farm bot lanes to skill up their skills incredibly fast while everyone else continues to suicide into them. Snipers hit 3/3/3/3 skills stupidly fast and proceed to destroy any sort of attack attempt against them. New players continue to take the "known routes" they've discovered five minutes into playing the game rather than trying to find new flanks or new positions to push their bot wave from so that they don't keep funneling into a killzone.

GUESS WHAT? If two level 70 Snipers are coordinating together to dominate your team, then it's not unreasonable to tell you that you need to coordinate to take them out. There is nothing unbalanced here, stop whining.
  11. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

Two supports, farm some noobs with firebases and airstrikes, throw down some 3.3 rockits in the base, start spawning gapshots.

Have fun, opposing team.
  12. kingdom

kingdom New Member

The best counter to a sniper in anygame is another sniper, even if your sniper doesn't kill him he can still force the other sniper to be exposed less and be distracted with the thought of getting head shot. As for balance for the sniper i think he needs a speed reduction when scoped in, this is by far one of the best ways to balance a sniper :p.

Rember this is coming from a tank pubber so if this doesn't help than im sorry :p.
  13. duffenator

duffenator New Member

people are talking about using assaults and assasins to get in close...your forgetting, you have to get through their teammates.
  14. rayleterleir

rayleterleir New Member

I find personally that snipers ruin most team based games (I'm looking at you, TF2). But the thing that makes it so frustrating in MNC is that the sniper as a character is an *******! He thinks he's God among men and the most important person in the entire team JUST LIKE A LOT OF SNIPER PLAYERS.

Way to troll us Uber :lol:

I don't he needs to be nerfed or anything, I really can't stand it when games get nerfed. What I think is MNC needs a bit better team chat system with maybe a few preset voice commands so teams can coordinate and work together better. Also, people need to start chatting more and listening to each other.