What Uber Did and Didn't Achieve So Far

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, October 5, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually it cannot, it doesn't utilize multiple CPUs very well, we know that. I'd say RAM is a real thing it needs, 16 should be good enough, 32 being the best.
  2. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

We.. we actually played a multiplayer game on Cola's server, and we've all tested running and monitoring servers locally, we have a pretty good idea on what hardware PA needs now :)

No, it can use 2.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  3. squishypon3

Well Cola himself said he was going a bit overboard, but only if enough money came in to do so. :p
  4. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

1)More terrain variety would be nice. Right now terrain doesn't really have a major role.

2)Orbital and naval need re-balance and maybe the addition of some units.

3)We need more ways to invade planets.

4)ETAs on orbital wold be very welcomed too.

5)Galactic war needs more love (I'm a multiplayer guy but a lot of players like to play single player, and galactic war just isn't very fun, right now is just a series of skirmishes with limitations). There are a lot of solutions for this, but my personal favorite is for it to play similar to what rise of nations did, with a Risk similar development.

6) More game modes would also be nice. Like one when the commander dies but the game continues. The addition of squads besides alliances.

7)Some integration with a voice service would go long ways in promoting better game play, and coordination, specially with shared armies.

8) Some more advanced tutorials for the new players.

9) A mod shop inside the game.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

pastats.com has an i5 and 16gb of ram. A 17 player game run out of memory after a while
    -I admit the machine also has the pastats.com webpage and database, but the pa-server was making up 70% of the memory usage and it was growing more and more till memory swapping killed it-
    It not only made the game come to a grinding halt, but a few minutes later the webserver died as well and I had to reboot the box to get it back to normal.

the server process was using 280-305% CPU at the end of our 17 player game. I imagine things like managing the data per connection actually may be in separate threads.
    4 cores is probably a good number to have.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Sir, you misunderstand me!
    Fun is subjective by its very nature, but it is not relative.
    That is, fun is found in the subject who is observing (yes, this is where we get the terms subjective and objective), since it is a thing that arises from rational observation and only expressed in the cognizance of apprehended facts of things that the person enjoys. To say that it is relative, that there is no absolute 'fun-ness', is to imply that fun does not exist at all, for fun cannot be rationally attained if it be a rational construct found in the subject since it is found after all. The statement "this is fun" when taken without error means either that it is fun to the person who said it, or that the person who said it considers the thing in question to be commonly fun to his audience.

Edit: I just realized that stuff like this is all my forum time on, like, every forum I go to. I sure am a wacky guy.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

There, updated.

Not too sure about mod support, @squishypon3 , @cola_colin you guys do mods, you can tell meif "advanced mod support is there.
  8. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yes we are able to add units and such, but mod support is still lacking in many areas. Eg importing animations. At this point in time that function does not work as it should.

So basic support is present, although Uber has a long way to go in the mod support field.

Oh and Squishy quote"That Better Orbital Mod". You insult me good sir.
  9. cola_colin

We know everything we need to know to write an importer for animations. Somebody just has to do it.
    I can mod multiple windows and reclaimable wreckages ;)
    I can mod new units, I can _brutal hacks_ mod some simple game types, I can _brutal hack_ have some influence on maps, in fact I think if somebody gave me a month or two full time work on a map editor using the hacks I have in mind the end result could be pretty.
    Custom biomes exist right now on pamm. In fact my "custom maps" idea for a mod actually is more a custom biome for every map.
    Running our own servers is possible right now.

Though the API sure is not where I want it to be so far. Basically modding currently is on a level where many things that people want somewhat start to become possible, but only if you know exactly what you are doing down to the super hacky trick to do something.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. squishypon3

I'm terrible I know, I have a horrible memory! Please, no offense meant! XD
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

All Uber's done (except for some model importing info that didn't change anything and adding 5 custom unit types) with regards to modding support is making it possible. They have yet to make any api related modding changes and very rarely have helped us when we're having trouble doing something.
  12. cola_colin

I've had some amazing help just recently with dedicated servers.
  13. stuart98

True, and the interaction is increasing but is not yet at the level of active support.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

You probably missed my earlier post, but what is "active support".

Is directly helping out users like colin . . . "inactive" support? Or do they have to be answering every query you have to be classed as active? There seems to be a rather personal influence on your posts here, on the subject. It's understandable, but you need to be upfront about such things.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

squishypon3 likes this.
  16. dm2

dm2 New Member

Been following this thing for two years, didn't back it,
    but bought it about a month ago.
    I've been trying, I really have, but I gotta say of all the prevous RTS, this is dead last!
    Can't say I like one thing about it, so I'm not going making a list.
    even Spring has more fun factor.

Lots of good ideas, but I could see from the very early forums posts where this was going.
    Way too much online multi-player talk and influence.
    too bad, maybe give it another year....

$50 Poof, FAIL!

Checking F'n manifest..... every damn day.

(don't waste your time replying)
  17. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I might also mention my thread about details that haven't made it in the game yet, link is in my sign. It's all about details, this list is about big things, so now we have a list for both. yay.

(My thread does need an update)
  18. stuart98

The single player in every single annihilation game before this one was pretty meh. Annihilation games have always been about multiplayer.
    MrTBSC and squishypon3 like this.
  19. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Meh, the thing is, theres a lot that COULD be improved.

Easy to read and use UI
    Eventually a minimap or something different to make overview easier
    Reworked/improved naval and Orbital (better planet invasion includet)
    Orbital Travel time
    a better unit/building to planet ratio
    Ranked ladder matches including a match making system

That doesnt mean it is necessary a bad game - if u look for example at C & C 4, which is highly polished with a lot a features but still an incredible bad game.
    Maybe we should put down a line between "Missing features of a theoretical good game" and a "downright bad game" - i know that peoples decision on this is highly influenced by the fact that PA is still in a pre-release state, but that doesnt say its a bad game.
    Right now im willing to give Uber more time to work on this, since the their activities in the forum since the HR kickstarter became way better than it was before, we just need to see if PA will go the way it needs to become the game everyone wanted it to be.
    Ofc it is kinda frustrating that PA needs so long - but thats nobodys fault. The game we wanted just needet way, WAAAAY more time than everybody expected, and it doesnt really make a difference if its released now and needs another year of work, or is released finished in one year.

In my eyes, best way Uber could go is 1 or 1 1/2 years of polishing PA, and then go back into the spotlight with announcing an add on for the game. HR Kickstarter will most likely not succeed anyway, if nothing big gonna happen, and the interest for PA is still VERY high. Almost all Comments for HR Kickstarter is about PA, after all.
    Last edited: October 12, 2014
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

What the hell is the point of a post like that if you're not going to explain your position?
    stuart98, Nicb1 and ooshr32 like this.