Release Build: 73939

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 9, 2014.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Use WinRAR to make a self extracting .exe

Just zip/RAR the PA folder into a self extracting.exe and then copy that to memory card.

Or just copy the whole folder over as is, no zipping/raring, the game should run from anywhere without modification (portable style)
  2. nbringer

nbringer New Member

Thanks! I'll try that! I feared heavy reliance on registry settings would not allow that.
  3. s03g

s03g Member

I've managed to find a way of reconnecting to a local server although I have tested with the following: --game-mode Config --allow-lan --headless - to make the server run by itself - the game must have at least 1 spectator slot so that either the host or client can reconnect by selecting the spectating slot.

I done the tests by quitting the game via the alt + F4 method and then attempting to rejoin with the above method. I found that if the server was running straight from PA itself that if the game was to close via the alt + F4 method from the host the server would also close too.
  4. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

So that's how I keep managing to use 160% of my available metal :D I was wondering about that.
    About stats, is there any chance that you guys will reintroduce the stat that tracks how much metal you have invested in "currently alive" units and structures ? I thought that was a really interesting metric to track how much stuff you have vs your opponent.
    It was removed at some point when spectator mode was brand new.
    warrenkc likes this.
  5. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I very much like the pathfinding update.

I played an 8 man FFA last night on the Pax Prime system that went on for 70 minutes. There were some absolutely huge fights going on for most of the game and it didn't get all that laggy at all, even when I was teleporter invading with 2k dox at a time.

Cheers Uber!
  6. wolfie88

wolfie88 New Member

Thanks a lot for the offline play. :)
    spittoon and warrenkc like this.
  7. byte01

byte01 Member

Actually thanks a lot, this helped me to get it to run on my MBP, after the standard way didnt work. Only took me forever to actually find the server. Made a full skirmish match, its probably at the lower end of recommended specs, but runs certainly better than online right now (business trip, terrible wlan connection).
  8. Arania

Arania New Member

This might seem like a strange question (and the server might not even be built to handle something like this in the first place), but If I were to want to run the offline server on one machine and the actual game client on another, how would I go about doing it?

The reason I ask is, I have a server box in the house that I use for dedicated servers, since it has far more RAM and parallel processing power than my desktop machine (24Gb vs. 6Gb and dual quad Xeons vs. a quad i7), and I daresay I'd get better overall performance running the game server on the machine designed to host headless servers.
    spittoon likes this.
  9. doridian

doridian New Member

So, is it possible to use the "server.exe" in some sort of dedicated server mode yet?

We have quite a powerful server(pc that has yet no gfx card) in our home and we kinda want to test it out.

Also I'm sure that been asked before but since I'm already here, does the server allow gpu acceleration for physics?
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

no
  11. doridian

doridian New Member

Suspected as much, and actually makes sense as that would probably cause issues with the determinism of the game.

What about the other question tho?
  12. cola_colin

Working on it.
    I am sure by tonight there will be info on it.
  13. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Just to collect those things for people who have issues with the server (I still get some myself):
    Server not starting:
    - There are reports that starting the game via PAMM makes you unable to start local games.
    You do NOT need to start via PAMM to get the mods working. You manage them there, they apply to the Steam and Uberlauncher version equally. Multiple programm directories, one place to store this information in the user profile.
    - It is know that having Bluetooth can crash the server, resulting in being stuck on the loading screen/getting a server crashed message. Disabling the bluetooth stack software seems to fix that. I personally had that issue on my Windows 8.1 Laptop.

- It is possible to start a dedicated server (however this is NOT part of the official release yet, so no guarantee it works). Being affected by the bluetooth problem I failed miserably trying to do that (possibly because I got the commandline arguments wrong or maybe there is a seperate bug for my Win7 Laptop).
    start the server.exe with the switches "--allow-lan --headless --game-mode Config"
    I just made a simple link on my desktop so I can easily run a dedicated server:
    "C:\Spiele\Steam\SteamApps\common\Planetary Annihilation\bin_x64\server.exe" --allow-lan --headless --game-mode Config

If all works out the server should register two loopback ports and the external port 139. In the console window it should show lines like these over and over:
    Note that there seems to be some form of timeout if all leave/nobod connects. I think about 5 minutes.

Entering the dedicated server running on the same computer (you only started it before the game) should be automatic whenever you try to open a local server (it just uses the existing instance, rather then create a new one; it might still create a new one, but that one will time out for lack of usage).
    Directly joining a server whose IP and Port numbers you know, needs the console (unbound by default: DevMod-> Input the following into the command line, commit with enter:
    If all works out this should connect you to the lobby running on another computer.

You can define the port to be registered via another commandline argument. If you are uncertain wich ones it used, you can run this in a windows command line: "netstat -anb" (requires administrator privileges, don't forget to run console as adminsitrator).

Edit:
    In practice I failed to connect to the dedicated server using above steps. Not sure why, could be a local issue. Can try again tomorrow.
  14. cola_colin

Because an empty server only listens on localhost, waiting for the first client to come from there.
  15. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

If you want to manually connect to a server running on the same computer, line seems to work:
    I herad about needing at least one spectator slot so the "host" (the guy who sets up the game) can join. But I have no idea how to do that. Commandline Switches or something else?
  16. cola_colin

I can't make sense of what you heard.
  17. spittoon

spittoon Member

i have the same server setup as you, so i would love to hear more folks discussing this possibility...

Arania, if you read posts concerning this in the future, would you mind pming me with a link, because i'm not able to read this forum in detail any more, as much as i wish that i could!
    TIA!
  18. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

I experienced client lag (FPS below 60) while playing against three AIs in the PAX Prime system:

offline client lag.jpg
    P.S. This happened in an offline match.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

30.00 FPS seems suspiciously like you FPS capped yourself somehow. Did it fluctuate or did it never go above 30?
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Could simply be Vsync.